Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Beer

Comments

• LenGlover said:
    Had a pleasant bottle of Oakham Citra IPA (4.6%) last night which hit the spot when thirsty on a hot day. 

The downside was I only had one bottle as it was part of a mix and match selection.

Is Oakham connected to the Rutland Brewery (Ruddles back in the day) does anybody know?
    I don't think so, Len. The Brewery is based in Peterborough and started in the early 90s. We always visit their pub and micro-brewery, The Brewery Tap, when we play there. They also have a London pub called The Mansion House in Kennington. 

I agree with you on Citra - an excellent drop.
  • Blucher said:
    LenGlover said:
    Had a pleasant bottle of Oakham Citra IPA (4.6%) last night which hit the spot when thirsty on a hot day. 

The downside was I only had one bottle as it was part of a mix and match selection.

Is Oakham connected to the Rutland Brewery (Ruddles back in the day) does anybody know?
    I don't think so, Len. The Brewery is based in Peterborough and started in the early 90s. We always visit their pub and micro-brewery, The Brewery Tap, when we play there. They also have a London pub called The Mansion House in Kennington. 

I agree with you on Citra - an excellent drop.
    Oakham also own a beautiful pub (a lovely interior) in Birmingham, The Barton Arms in Aston, on the way towards Villa Park
  • I went to the Iron Piers mini Brewery (behind Northfleet h.st) & sampled a few, but went for their Bitter & Stout (2 pinters) came in at £14 which I didn't think was great, but both were were really nice beers.

Just had delivered from Dartford Wobbler, 3 (4 pinters) Blonde Wobblers came in at £24 £2 a pint with delivery). They deliver to a 6 mile radius from Darenth.

Gonna try the Bexley Brewery next.

I hope their beers taste better than they look. Those prices look shocking for an outfit that's put no effort into their packaging.

Said this for a long while now, there are too many people on this particular band wagon. 
  • Stig said:
    I went to the Iron Piers mini Brewery (behind Northfleet h.st) & sampled a few, but went for their Bitter & Stout (2 pinters) came in at £14 which I didn't think was great, but both were were really nice beers.

Just had delivered from Dartford Wobbler, 3 (4 pinters) Blonde Wobblers came in at £24 £2 a pint with delivery). They deliver to a 6 mile radius from Darenth.

I hope their beers taste better than they look. Those prices look shocking for an outfit that's put no effort into their packaging.

Said this for a long while now, there are too many people on this particular band wagon. 
    When you're buying draught beers straight from the brewery, nobody cares what the packaging looks like

These aren't products you pick off a shelf in a shop
  • Stig said:
    I went to the Iron Piers mini Brewery (behind Northfleet h.st) & sampled a few, but went for their Bitter & Stout (2 pinters) came in at £14 which I didn't think was great, but both were were really nice beers.

When you're buying draught beers straight from the brewery, nobody cares what the packaging looks like

These aren't products you pick off a shelf in a shop
    That's a fair comment, but you still expect the price to reflect that. And, even through the plastic those beers still manage to look thin and insipid. 

• Green beer is an Easter tradition here. This one is a microbrewery offer, with the green provided by nettles. TBH it doesn't seem to me to bring much extra in taste, but it looks nice, especially when its so sunny outside. 

Happy Easter everyone.

Wiltshire in on the act as well (not sure how long its been going on for). I don't think the lighting on this picture does it any favours looks wise, but can confirm it tastes OK 

Stonehenge Ales  Sign Of Spring  Matts Beer
  • Is this green. From Ex Novo Brewing, goes by the name of Hello, My Name Is Indigo Montoya. A very tasty dry hopped sour. 
  • LenGlover said:

Pretty sure Oakham is unconnected

They are based in Peterborough, so many of us will have experienced their beers and pubs there, either in their brewery tap or Charters Bar, a boat near the football ground!

https://www.charters-bar.com/

Is this green. From Ex Novo Brewing, goes by the name of Hello, My Name Is Indigo Montoya. A very tasty dry hopped sour. 

I hope this tastes as nice as the colour is inviting.
  • I can't offer anything green tonight as I'm on this right now...

It's an okay old fashioned IPA. Nothing more really. 
  • I can't offer anything green tonight as I'm on this right now...

It's an okay old fashioned IPA. Nothing more really. 
    Brown beer? I remember that. Can you still get it?
  • Sponsored links:

• Stormbird in Camberwell is doing a decent takeaway service, popped in earlier (during some sort of biblical downpour that lasted 35 seconds).
  • There's sour...then there's this. 

• There's sour...then there's this. 

Snap! What do you think? Really sour but I think I like it. 

• For a beer I can pick up at the Sainsbury’s local at the top of the road, Beavertown Lupuloid is a very decent IPA. Very dangerous at 6.7% too, I find it easier to drink than neck oil. 
  • se9addick said:
    There's sour...then there's this. 

Snap! What do you think? Really sour but I think I like it. 

I enjoyed it but not as much as their grapefruit one. 
  • edited May 2020
    Took a trip to the Chilterns to have a walk this afternoon -  my first excursion from London in 2 months!

And to pick some beer from the Chiltern Brewery, a selection of their draught ales in 2 pint bottles. Admittedly it's a bank holiday weekend, but their click and collect service seems very successful, there was a queue of cars waiting to collect beer!
    My second Chiltern  walk yesterday, though this time got my real ale from the Tring brewery. Lovely stuff

Selling bright beer directly to the customer has become a life saver for many breweries, it will be interesting if this still continues after the pubs reopen
  • Had a few glasses of Adnams Ghostship over the course of today. Very pleasant. My oldest daughter did some shopping for us and came back with a keg earlier in the week. 

Not sure Mrs G was impressed with me drinking through the day but a few glasses and a good book sitting in the garden was just was I felt I needed today once 'the jobs' were done.
  • I was supping on a Ghost Ship earlier too Len. Quite refreshing on a hot day. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Been on the sours this weekend, to match my mood. 

The top one I didn't rate at all. The bottom one was very nice indeed. Croatian brewers wouldn't have been my first choice for a beer tbh but this lot seem to know what they are doing. 
  • Ive been wading through the Tesco 4 for £6 deal. Got lots of interesting beers in.
  • Sipping another sour watching the stripey ones win away :-(

Maybe it's the game(!) but definitely preferred their mango sour. 
  • edited June 2020
    Celebrating the 3 points with a nice pint of UBU.

• A couple of good ones from Orbit’s White Label series. 
  • Amstel in a Carlsberg glass in the Mill tonight.
    Ho hum.
  • Guinness West Indies Porter. It works for me :)  
  • Perfect beer for a hot humid day