Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Should bicycles be allowed on trains ?

Coming back from Brixton last night, the delayed train, was rammo as the other half of it was locked & unlit.

There were 2 people in my carriage, with bicycles, by the doors, that I was closest to.

When we got to Herne Hill, a woman cyclist gets off & as she does so, she drops a bag (bags) onto the track.

I never heard her say excuse me, can I please get past etc (she may have).

Anyway, she then went into meltdown, ranting at everyone on the train, who didn't get off the train, to let her off.

Her bag had her purse, keys, phone etc & what was she going to do ?

Anyway the flabbergasted passengers didn't say anything, the doors closed & off we went.

Any views ?

Comments

• Options
    In Peak times NO. Any other time I don't have a problem with it.

Folded bikes don't bother me either as long as they don't take up too much space.
  • Options
    sounds like just another story of urban living to me .. and you should know by now that cyclists rule OK .. whatever they do or don't do is fine .. becorse .. they is cyclists and they is saving the planet by not driving carbon guzzling, poison emitting, internal combustion driven vehicles
  • Options
    edited November 2013

Folded bikes don't bother me either as long as they don't take up too much space.

Agreed and during rush hour back pack wearers should be legally obliged to take them off and stop smacking them into every one around them
  • Options
    I find people with those suitcases on wheels more annoying. Victoria station is plagued by them.
  • Options
    edited November 2013
    Kap10 said:

Agreed and during rush hour back pacj wearers should be legally obliged to take them off and stop smacking them into every one around them
    Agreed again. Some numpty insists on squeezing in on the 7:40 train from Woking every morning and every morning people cant get on further down the line at Surbiton when he is taking up the space of about 4 people.

He got thrown off the train today which made me cackle to myself.
  • Options
    Invitation to slag off cyclists disguised as a question.
  • Options

I find people with those suitcases on wheels more annoying. Victoria station is plagued by them.

• Options
    Kap10 said:

Agreed and during rush hour back pack wearers should be legally obliged to take them off and stop smacking them into every one around them

and people with BO shouldn't be allowed on.....and pushchairs......and people who conduct their whole life on their phone.
  • Options

This
  • Options

Invitation to slag off cyclists disguised as a question.

Not really. I couldn't make up my mind whether I felt total sympathy for her or not. Judging by the reaction, I think everyone may have felt the same. I'm sure we were all sorry that her bag fell onto the tracks, but it just seemed a little rich to be ranting at everyone else, when it possibly wasn't their fault.

I couldn't see or hear exactly what happened, even though I was about 10 foot away.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Kap10 said:

and people with BO shouldn't be allowed on.....and pushchairs......and people who conduct their whole life on their phone.
    And consume vile stinking shyte on the late train home so we all have to gag and retch at the stench.
  • Options
    So she must have boarded the train at Victoria and was getting off at Herne Hill, why doesn't she cycle from Victoria to Herne Hill??
  • Options
    iaitch said:

So she must have boarded the train at Victoria and was getting off at Herne Hill, why doesn't she cycle from Victoria to Herne Hill??

Presumably.
  • Options
    iaitch said:

Exactly,why do people who cycle get on a bloody train?
  • Options
    Massive groups of tourists shouldn't be allowed on the Tube during evening rush hour
  • Options
    It seems safer than riding a bike around the streets of London ATM.
  • Options
    iaitch said:

Was wondering that myself.
  • Options

sounds like just another story of urban living to me .. and you should know by now that cyclists rule OK .. whatever they do or don't do is fine .. becorse .. they is cyclists and they is saving the planet by not driving carbon guzzling, poison emitting, internal combustion driven vehicles

Absolutely. As is the the no doubt self-righteous twot* who cycles his lie-down style bike, complete with silly little flag on a stick, down the A4 every morning with a long queue of traffic dawdling behind him and thereby pumping out twice as many emissions as necessary.

* For the avoidance of doubt, this is an unsubstantiated and prejudiced view based purely on my annoyance at being held up every day by the cretin. He's probably a splendid chap really.
  • Options
    People who stand in the way of areas you want to get to I believe should have their Oyster card taken off them and incinerated.

For example: People who walk onto a train/tube and then just stop dead, they're on the train now, who gives a f*** about you?
    People who stand on 2 deep on the escalators, so one on the right and one on the left.
    People who walk onto a platform and then stand still blocking the ways in and out of the platform
    People (generally women) who try and put their purse which is about 5 inches thick onto an oyster card reader, attempt for about 10 seconds, then become resigned to the fact that an oyster card reader can't penetrate 1,000 receipts from Claire's Accessories and then spend the next 30 trying to get their Oyster card out.
    People who act like they are trying to get on the last lifeboat on the Titanic when they see a seat has just become available.

All need to be removed, and there will be more I can come up with.
  • Options
    Huskaris said:

People who stand in the way of areas you want to get to I believe should have their Oyster card taken off them and incinerated.

For example: People who walk onto a train/tube and then just stop dead, they're on the train now, who gives a f*** about you?
    People who stand on 2 deep on the escalators, so one on the right and one on the left.
    People who walk onto a platform and then stand still blocking the ways in and out of the platform
    People (generally women) who try and put their purse which is about 5 inches thick onto an oyster card reader, attempt for about 10 seconds, then become resigned to the fact that an oyster card reader can't penetrate 1,000 receipts from Claire's Accessories and then spend the next 30 trying to get their Oyster card out.
    People who act like they are trying to get on the last lifeboat on the Titanic when they see a seat has just become available.

All need to be removed, and there will be more I can come up with.

more of a bus thing but old people that smell of wee.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited November 2013
    No, no bikes on trains during rush hours except fold-ups, and they need to be folded. (Not these bloody Dahon tractors either) Pisses me off when they park bikes over doors.

I once witnessed a bloke trying to get off at New Cross when a cyclist had left his bike across the door. The bloke simply put it on the platform and left it there. The cyclist was none the wiser until London Bridge. :-)

• Options
    Shouldn't be anywhere near a train, cycle it home FFS!!!!
  • Options
    Do cyclist get free parking at the Valley?
  • Options

...meanwhile, back in the sane world - to answer the original question - in rush hour, no - certainly not. This also goes for prams and pushchairs, which should be subject to the same rules as bikes. If it can be folded, then fold it. If it can't, don't take it on the train during rush hour.

Outside rush hour, of course bikes can travel on trains.
  • Options
    Outside of rush hour isn't a problem but during rush hour is pure stupid.

Her moaning and blaming other people doesnt surprise me either.
  • Options
    You are not allowed to take a bike on a south eastern train between 4pm and 6:59pm.
  • Options
    If any of my family or mates used a fold up bike I'd disown them
  • Options
    Bring back the good old days when we had break vans where you could store them and not have to put the in public parts of the trains.
  • Options

Do cyclist get free parking at the Valley?

errr yes we do

• Options
    Am going on a course in Croydon and planning on cycling to New Cross Gate and then getting a train. I wouldn't mind locking it up in the racks by the station if I didn't think it would get nicked. I can't get a sensible answer from Southern on whether I can take it on the train (although travelling in the rush hours, I am going in the opposite direction from the Central London rush). But the guys in the station say it's ok and that it isn't safe to leave it in the racks outside