Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Should bicycles be allowed on trains ?

2»

Comments

• Options
    I think cycling should be stopped in the toilets at The Valley, they should have their own area to wear their Lycra clothes in.
  • Options
    Cyclists shouldn't be allowed on the roads, let alone trains, Sunday mornings bloody wannabe Bradley Wiggins are a menace riding 4 a breast.
  • Options

Am going on a course in Croydon and planning on cycling to New Cross Gate and then getting a train. I wouldn't mind locking it up in the racks by the station if I didn't think it would get nicked. I can't get a sensible answer from Southern on whether I can take it on the train (although travelling in the rush hours, I am going in the opposite direction from the Central London rush). But the guys in the station say it's ok and that it isn't safe to leave it in the racks outside

You're fine - provided the train you're getting doesn't terminate at Brighton.
  • Options
    Kap10 said:

In Peak times NO. Any other time I don't have a problem with it.

Folded bikes don't bother me either as long as they don't take up too much space.

Agreed and during rush hour back pack wearers should be legally obliged to take them off and stop smacking them into every one around them
    Oh so true. Sometimes I arrive at Canary Wharf tube and stand behind six people with back packs on and lo and behold I'm outside Buck House. What the flipping heck do some people take to work with them?
  • Options

If any of my family or mates used a fold up bike I'd disown them

This totally! I don't care about how well made they are, how reliable and/or how practical they are.....they look shit!! To see grown men riding these piddly looking bikes with their piddly little wheels.....if it was down to me i'd outlaw/ban them with a charge of `Embarrassing All Men Everywhere!'

• Options
    cafckev said:

Bring back the good old days when we had break vans where you could store them and not have to put the in public parts of the trains.

That's the best answer, provide a space where they can be carried without the inconvenience to others.
  • Options
    19:00 Charing Cross to Sevenoaks last night, brain dead man put his double bass case diagonally across the isle for everyone to climb over at Orpington.

But what really bothered me on public transport last night was the thieving git who dipped into my bag and stole my iPod and Klipsch phones. Best part of a weeks money, for me, to replace. Scum bag would probably be happy to sell my ipod for a tenner. I cant imagine anyone would want second hand ear buds and I doubt the thief would even know what he/she has stolen.
  • Options
    Stig said:

cafckev said:

Bring back the good old days when we had break vans where you could store them and not have to put the in public parts of the trains.

That's the best answer, provide a space where they can be carried without the inconvenience to others.
    The problem with this solution, is that one bike space could contain up to 6 fare paying passengers. There is no the train companies will give that space for free.
  • Options
    edited November 2013
    Six! What sort of bikes do they have around your way?

• Options
    Bicycles shouldn't be allowed any where
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    BIG_ROB said:

tell that to the French!
  • Options
    BIG_ROB said:

Especially in France ;-) Well, not at least until a Frenchman has won the TDF.

• Options

I find people with those suitcases on wheels more annoying. Victoria station is plagued by them.

Yeah! Bastards going on holiday...
  • Options

This totally! I don't care about how well made they are, how reliable and/or how practical they are.....they look shit!! To see grown men riding these piddly looking bikes with their piddly little wheels.....if it was down to me i'd outlaw/ban them with a charge of `Embarrassing All Men Everywhere!'

They are truly a bizarre way to get around, especially in central London where there is abundant public transport.
  • Options

19:00 Charing Cross to Sevenoaks last night, brain dead man put his double bass case diagonally across the isle for everyone to climb over at Orpington.

But what really bothered me on public transport last night was the thieving git who dipped into my bag and stole my iPod and Klipsch phones. Best part of a weeks money, for me, to replace. Scum bag would probably be happy to sell my ipod for a tenner. I cant imagine anyone would want second hand ear buds and I doubt the thief would even know what he/she has stolen.

What a gitrag, I'm gutted for you, Klipsch headphones are quality.
  • Options

They are truly a bizarre way to get around, especially in central London where there is abundant public transport.

not my cup of tea either but a chap i know on another forum has toured America using boats,trains and planes...and his fold up bike.
  • Options
    As far as I can tell in Amsterdam there are not any spaces for bikes on their commuter trains, because any space would only be enough for a tiny percentage. But I understand that people have a 'crap' bike which they keep locked up in Amsterdam centre, and keep their beloved bikes at home. Next to AMS central station there is a car park, but its not for cars, but for bikes. Thousands and thousands of them.
  • Options
    Cheers Leroy. I'll see how I get on Monday
  • Options
    If you live in a terraced house, very awkwardly shaped hallway too, then a folding bike makes sense. Those who despise folding bikes are probably rich people who have big houses.