Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Comments

• Won't stop them though
  • Read that earlier, from the BBC site. You have to hope that the FL actually do what what they say they will, with regard to FFP, and set the right precedent. If they don't no-one will pay any attention and will sue them if they then try to hit others later on.

Still. It's only a fine IF they get promoted and even if they do, they'll be more than halfway through their Premier League season before figures and decision are released.
  • whats going to happen to the money that they fine them with? Hope it goes into something grassroots.
  • whats going to happen to the money that they fine them with? Hope it goes into something grassroots.

There was talk originally that the fines would be redistributed amongst football league clubs
  • Kap10 said:

whats going to happen to the money that they fine them with? Hope it goes into something grassroots.

There was talk originally that the fines would be redistributed amongst football league clubs
    They are now saying that they will all be given to charity to avoid the "politics" of redistribution.
  • Kap10 said:

whats going to happen to the money that they fine them with? Hope it goes into something grassroots.

They are now saying that they will all be given to charity to avoid the "politics" of redistribution.
    tbh good idea, but if it was equally distributed it would give those lower down the football league a million pound odd boost.
  • I don't agree with it going to charity. Surely it should go towards our youth football, the centre of excellence, perhaps employing a few more top level coaches so we can drag our youth football out of the dark ages.

Smoking in the bogs?

• QPR chairman Tony Fernandes says a report claiming the club could be handed a £60m fine is "not accurate".

The Mail on Sunday says QPR will be penalised under the new Football League Financial Fair Play rules if they make a heavy loss this term.

The newspaper stated: "New rules that aim to limit club losses come into force this season and Championship clubs will be forced to pay a 'fair play tax' on financial deficits.

"QPR are believed to have lost £80m in the 2012-13 season. That figure will be an indicator of losses in the current season.

"If promoted, QPR will be hit with a fine of £1 for every £1 loss over £18m in 2013-14. They could avoid a fine, or at least postpone it, if they fail to get promoted.

"In that case, they will be hit with a lengthy transfer embargo."

But Fernandes, who is the majority shareholder at QPR, posted a response to the piece on his Twitter account which advised fans not to be alarmed.

"QPR fans, please ignore article," he wrote.

"Shows how big our brand has become that people need to write stories that are just not accurate. Stay focused on getting back to the Premier League."

QPR were relegated from the Premier League last season despite signing a number of high profile players, who the Mail on Sunday reports are on "huge contracts
  • Fuckn "brand"
  • Sponsored links:

• I wonder how much FFP will be enforced - depend on the club?
  • Brand?

It's QPR you utter nob , Brand my arse :)
  • I wonder how much FFP will be enforced - depend on the club?

It can't depend upon the club (can it?!) but it will depend upon how they have written the regulations - the website is confused so let's hope the actual rules are written in a way that can be enforced:
    "Clubs relegated from the Premier League will not be subject to sanctions in their first season in the Championship as long as they have met their financial obligations under Premier League regulations. They would, however, be subject to the potential of a Fair Play Tax if they achieved promotion in their first season in the Championship whilst not complying with the FFP regulations."

And the money has to go to clubs who have stayed within the limits for they are the ones who are less successful in the table because some clubs overspend
  • McBobbin said:

Fuckn "brand"

Bit like Palace.
  • its turning into a farce in my view, and a charity donation makes the offending club look good, etc

it should be a huge points deduction to make it have any teeth
  • It should have remained that the fine was distributed amongst the other clubs - they were the ones who are "wronged" in the scenario as they played by the rules and missed out on promotion whilst another team broke the rules and gained promotion.
  • it goes to what most said with ffp it aint worth a bean , as if you break it and go up the rewards far outweigh the fines
  • edited November 2013

it goes to what most said with ffp it aint worth a bean , as if you break it and go up the rewards far outweigh the fines

I think it was a good idea as it formally established the principle that unscrupulous owners couldn't gamble the future of "their" clubs and the hopes and dreams of their supporters and local communities at a shot of quick enrichment.

Of course it wasn't perfect, but it was never going to be to start with but the idea of sharing the fine amongst the teams who complied created a slightly more level playing field.

If this is being scrapped because the FL think it will be too "political" (whatever that means) then my answer would be to go away and think harder.
  • edited November 2013
    So if QPR are going to be allowed to 'get away with it' whatever it may be , then how many other clubs are going to do the same and rack up huge debts, it makes a mockery of the system.
  • Of course if you don't get promoted you can't then sign any players.. anyway here's some more

http://www.financialfairplay.co.uk/latest-news/fair-play-tax-in-championship-to-go-to-charity
  • Sponsored links:

• edited November 2013
    This is a joke! The insinuation is that the Premier League are blocking the redistribution of fines... On the basis that clubs like Charlton might throw the game next Saturday...and changing rule mid-season?
    To put it in perspective CAFC share of the fine could be another chunk of cash which helps the club break even...reducing the risk of melt down in the future.
  • Agreed. I suspect that the clubs will now push for an amendment to the rules, such that embargoes for clubs that fail the FFP and DON'T go up. I would penalise them harder than originally stated & any charity receiving a FFP fine from a promoted club, should be one which encourages grassroots sports, preferably football, in areas where the compliant clubs are based.
  • So a bribe to a good cause and I can blow whatever I want to get promoted, makes it pointless I feel.
  • I can't comprehend how the rules can be changed mid season.
  • I can't comprehend how the rules can be changed mid season.

Because the Premier League want it and will make it pretty clear that they will re-write the current agreement on the amount of Sky money that filters down, if "well behaved" clubs were to benefit from "bad clubs" who happened to join their family.
  • Isn't football a vile, greedy sport? Urgh.
  • If that is true then they are in a spot of bother, Fernandes does have money but he sure as shit is not an Abrahmovich or Sheikh Mansour and a 60 million quid fine would be very, very nasty for him.

I just can't see them being forced to pay it though, bound to end up with the lawyers.
  • Hadn't seen that FFP fines will now be paid to charity. Bit bizarre and disappointing from our perspective, but it doesn't in any way undermine the potential impact of the new rules.

No doubt Clubs will wriggle and argue for lots of add backs and exemptions, but the key will be how the FL deals with this. I suspect that sanctions will be applied to Blackburn Rovers and others, but as noted above legal action is likely in the event that very big fines are levied.

Bottom line, I still think that FFP will make an important difference.

PS The explanation in the article razil linked to is excellent. Worth reading for anyone not familiar with how the rules work.
  • Just resurrected this thread because I'm watching QPR v Burnley and I hadn't previously paid much attention to which players play for QPR.
    The quality in that team is ridiculous - I can't quite believe that they aren't walking away with this league, while at the same time, I also can't believe they can possibly be working within FFP rules - building that team must be costing them an absolute fortune in fees and wages.
    If they are making disproportionate losses and if, as others are suggesting above, they don't get massively penalised, then FFP surely isn't worth the paper it's printed on?
  • Wait - are you saying Harry Redknapp is a rubbish manager and bending the rules in his favour! I'll not have it said :-)

Tbf they should be romping this league and I really hope they don't go up this year