Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Working from home.

Comments

• Options

Off_it said:

I'm WFH today - have got shed loads done.

My boss hates it, but he's a control freak

I had a previous boss like that. Would log on in the morning and there would always be this important issue he needed a reply on by as soon as you've seen this, 8.45am, 9.30am etc

Never seemed to have these important issues when I was in the office.

Also remember during the bad snow about 3-4 years ago and there were no trains for about 4 days getting a sarky email from him on Day 2 enquiring whether 'Kent was going to be open tomorrow'
    i dont recall this? not surprised you're boss thinks you were trying to get out of work! :-)
  • Options
    I've never not got in to work due to adverse weather in 30 years. That includes two big storms in 87 and 88 plus plenty of snow. NEVER!

• Options
    Riviera said:

I've never not got in to work due to adverse weather in 30 years. That includes two big storms in 87 and 88 plus plenty of snow. NEVER!

That's probably because you know the wife bolts the door behind you & refuses to reopen it until 6.30pm, (apart from sneeking in the kids) :-)
  • Options
    Needs a change of mindset. Work is something you do, not somewhere you go. That helps. So does the occasional meet up (team meeting or social) to help tackle any feelings of isolation.
  • Options
    Riviera said:

What was the medal you got given like ?

:-)

• Options

Riviera said:

It was in the shape of a south-east London bus map.
  • Options
    Carter said:

I always feel there is an undercurrent of mistrust from management too.

I know I would think I was sitting indoors wanking all day. It might not be the case but I I could appreciate how someone who probably thinks I'm a wanker anyway would think I would be doing nothing other than throwing myself all round the house unless I was tied to being at work where I need to be a bit more surreptitious about that behaviour

To be fair mate, if I was your boss I'd assume you were wanking all day.
  • Options
    Off_it said:

Riviera said:

It was in the shape of a south-east London bus map.
    That can't be right because South East London buses go outside the South East...sorry, that's the East London pubs thread?
  • Options
    I have been a home-worker for 12 years. I go into head office as and when and hot-desk when I do. I am twice as productive when WFH all day. I can work longer hours (no commuting) and I don't have to make small talk or listen to it in the office. I have 50 staff, most of whom WFH and I know they do their hours, get the job done and are much happier as a result.
  • Options

Riviera said:

It tasted a bit like chicken.....
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Carter said:

I always feel there is an undercurrent of mistrust from management too.

I know I would think I was sitting indoors wanking all day. It might not be the case but I I could appreciate how someone who probably thinks I'm a wanker anyway would think I would be doing nothing other than throwing myself all round the house unless I was tied to being at work where I need to be a bit more surreptitious about that behaviour

To be fair mate, if I was your boss I'd assume you were wanking all day.

Completely understandable
  • Options
    edited November 2013

I get the "well it's not like proper work" 16 hours yesterday was real work.

You need to either employ someone or go on a time management course mate.

Hate it when the wife works from home. Bloody nurses.
  • Options
    Tidying the garden today....does that count?
  • Options

I thought everyone in here had staff to do that for them !

• Options

I'm actually employed by my wife so in away I am staff in some respect.
  • Options
    MrOneLung said:

I get the "well it's not like proper work" 16 hours yesterday was real work.

You need to either employ someone or go on a time management course mate.
    Not the sort of job you can employ people to do.

• Options
    edited November 2013
    This coming month is the worst part about working from home when your freelance because the office Christmas do just isn't the same. in fact, it's just you down your local getting shit faced yet again.

• Options

This coming month is the worst part about working from home when your freelance because the office Christmas do just isn't the same. in fact, it's just you down your local getting shit faced yet again.

For me that would be a positive.

I detest shopping with a passion yet I'd sooner spend every Saturday in the run up to Christmas shopping at Bluewater than attend Office Parties!

• Options

And you have to pull your own cracker!!!!
  • Options
    iaitch said:

And you have to pull your own cracker!!!!
    Alledgedly Carter does that every day he works from home!! ;-)
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I heard that our office in the U.S. are looking to trial a 4 day WFH week with one day in the office using a select few employees as guinea pigs. If successful then it could be an option for employees but they would have to take a 20% pay cut.

Not sure that is going to go down too well!
  • Options
    depends how much you'd be saving elsewhere ie travel, lunch etc
  • Options
    If you wanted to get paid for a 4 day week, then fine, but they're still expecting 5 days work out of your colleagues!!

So the firm get the ability to reduce office space, with accommodation being one of the biggest costs to business other than salaries and also then cut your salaries by a fifth, whilst expecting the same output from you.

I would tell them where to stick that if they tried it at my place!
  • Options

Damn right.......and my gardener cannot work from home :-)
  • Options
    TelMc32 said:

If you wanted to get paid for a 4 day week, then fine, but they're still expecting 5 days work out of your colleagues!!

So the firm get the ability to reduce office space, with accommodation being one of the biggest costs to business other than salaries and also then cut your salaries by a fifth, whilst expecting the same output from you.

Actually didn't make that very clear. Still a 5 day working week but 4 at home and 1 in the office.

I certainly wouldn't be putting myself forward if that became on option. Saving themselves a rather large sum not having a permanent desk in the office but then expecting you to take a 20% salary reduction as well.

I can also handle one or two days working from home but not pretty much full time. Very productive but also very boring at the same time!
  • Options
    Great on a morning like this after its snowed all night and the wind chill is around -25!

Haventbhad an office based job since 1998 - would find it hard to go back to that workstlye I reckon...
  • Options

TelMc32 said:

Actually didn't make that very clear. Still a 5 day working week but 4 at home and 1 in the office.

I certainly wouldn't be putting myself forward if that became on option. Saving themselves a rather large sum not having a permanent desk in the office but then expecting you to take a 20% salary reduction as well.

I can also handle one or two days working from home but not pretty much full time. Very productive but also very boring at the same time!
    You were fine with the explanation Greenhithe mate (I saw it was 4 days LIW and 1 day in office). It was saying that they wanted to impose a 20% pay-cut that was the reason for my comment on (paying for) a four day week, while expecting you to still do 5!
  • Options
    This is a very interesting discussion, now, nobody wants to take a 15%-20% salary cut obviously BUT you have to look at the bigger picture here.

Many people living outside London (outer Kent, Sussex, Essex) will be paying 3,000 quid + PA for their travel - and that's not taking into account things like parking fees at train stations, bus fares to stations and so on - so working from home would be a big saver.

In addition, I reckon most folks - even those living in places like my old hamlet of New Eltham - would be spending about 2.5/3 hours per day travelling to/from work, I used to leave my house at 7.45 to get to work for 9.00.

That means you are spending between 12-15 hours per week simply travelling to/from work - that's a LOT of time - so if you were working from home you suddenly get a lot more time to either spend doing your actual job or having time to pursue your own interests.

Finally, a genuine WFH model would allow people to move right away from London into cheaper areas of the country - Norfolk for example - and have a much higher quality of life and buy a bigger house and so on - meaning their salary cut would not be so painful.

A lot of this depends on quality broadband being in place outside London to enable people to work from home efficiently and that is - at least in part - being done by BT at the moment but there is a long way to go.
  • Options
    In holland alot of places have four day week but you just work extended hours those four days. Take it in turns as to what day you have off. Actually my mum does that too for the nhs.
  • Options
    edited November 2013
    The thing is Ormiston, I don't get paid for travelling time. That's all done in my time, not works. So I would be doing the same hours or, far more likely, doing longer hours for a big drop in salary.

I fully agree that losing that commute would be a very nice thing, but not sure why my employer should benefit to that extent (20%), when I am still expected to produce the same output for them - and building on that every year, as we do now. There would certainly be possibilities opening up for businesses, who could downsize premises and reduce costs from heating, lighting, facilities, communications and dilaps going forward. I'd see that as benefit enough for the employer.