Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Working from home.

13»

Comments

• Options
    TelMc32 said:

The thing is Ormiston, I don't get paid for travelling time. That's all done in my time, not works. So I would be doing the same hours or, far more likely, doing longer hours for a big drop in salary.

I fully agree that losing that commute would be a very nice thing, but not sure why my employer should benefit to that extent (20%), when I am still expected to produce the same output for them - and building on that every year, as we do now. There would certainly be possibilities opening up for businesses, who could downsize premises and reduce costs from heating, lighting, facilities, communications and dilaps going forward. I'd see that as benefit enough for the employer.

Fair enough, its a tricky issue and, like I say, nobody wants a pay cut!

But, having worked from home myself, I can say that there are big benefits, especially if you have a young family.
  • Options
    edited November 2013
    Worked from home since 96, normal for me these days. Discipline is crucial, and you develop it over time. Never shave, putting on a shirt is a novelty, dressing gown at 4pm happens a lot.
    But, get a lot done, go into the office from time to time and think "what a waste of time the commute is, and please stop interrupting me whilst I am trying to work" Plus the fact I got an en suite khasi in the office, now that cant be beaten.
  • Options
    TelMc32 said:

There would certainly be possibilities opening up for businesses, who could downsize premises and reduce costs from heating, lighting, facilities, communications and dilaps going forward. I'd see that as benefit enough for the employer.

Totally agree. The cost saving for purely not having to accommodate one person in the building should be sufficient without imposing a 20% salary reduction. I sit on a trading floor and I have heard that it costs well over £100k per year just to accommodate one person! I am not in Sales or Trading and could perform my role from home with the odd visit to the City for meetings etc. and if it wasn't for the large salary reduction I would consider this if it ever got off the ground but not an option for me on those terms.

The thought of not having to suffer at the hands of Southeastern almost everyday is tempting though!
  • Options

This is a very interesting discussion, now, nobody wants to take a 15%-20% salary cut obviously BUT you have to look at the bigger picture here.

Many people living outside London (outer Kent, Sussex, Essex) will be paying 3,000 quid + PA for their travel - and that's not taking into account things like parking fees at train stations, bus fares to stations and so on - so working from home would be a big saver.

In addition, I reckon most folks - even those living in places like my old hamlet of New Eltham - would be spending about 2.5/3 hours per day travelling to/from work, I used to leave my house at 7.45 to get to work for 9.00.

That means you are spending between 12-15 hours per week simply travelling to/from work - that's a LOT of time - so if you were working from home you suddenly get a lot more time to either spend doing your actual job or having time to pursue your own interests.

Finally, a genuine WFH model would allow people to move right away from London into cheaper areas of the country - Norfolk for example - and have a much higher quality of life and buy a bigger house and so on - meaning their salary cut would not be so painful.

A lot of this depends on quality broadband being in place outside London to enable people to work from home efficiently and that is - at least in part - being done by BT at the moment but there is a long way to go.

Who will pay for your "home office"? That spare bedroom or study is not costs free, most will pay for broadband but what about heating lighting etc.. In my experience companies are reluctant to pay for things such as chairs or floor mats. They save on office space and the rent and other costs therein and you end up footing that bill.

On another note, do not underestimate the affect long periods of isolation will have on you and your health, especially where good communication or team work are required for progress of a project and where stress is a factor. Good vertical (up and down from and to management) and horizontal (with team mates/members) communication are an essential part of home working, as are alternative practices, plan for what will you do if you start to struggle? If you have already developed a relationship with other team members then that will have to be maintained but what if there is no ongoing relationship, this is difficult to build from home.

• Options

This is a very interesting discussion, now, nobody wants to take a 15%-20% salary cut obviously BUT you have to look at the bigger picture here.

Many people living outside London (outer Kent, Sussex, Essex) will be paying 3,000 quid + PA for their travel - and that's not taking into account things like parking fees at train stations, bus fares to stations and so on - so working from home would be a big saver.

In addition, I reckon most folks - even those living in places like my old hamlet of New Eltham - would be spending about 2.5/3 hours per day travelling to/from work, I used to leave my house at 7.45 to get to work for 9.00.

That means you are spending between 12-15 hours per week simply travelling to/from work - that's a LOT of time - so if you were working from home you suddenly get a lot more time to either spend doing your actual job or having time to pursue your own interests.

Finally, a genuine WFH model would allow people to move right away from London into cheaper areas of the country - Norfolk for example - and have a much higher quality of life and buy a bigger house and so on - meaning their salary cut would not be so painful.

A lot of this depends on quality broadband being in place outside London to enable people to work from home efficiently and that is - at least in part - being done by BT at the moment but there is a long way to go.

I would definitely take a £3k hit on my wages if it meant I didn't have to give £3k to Southern/ SWT.
  • Options
    Loco said:

Good vertical (up and down from and to management) and horizontal (with team mates/members) communication...

Screw it - I'd take a £3k pay cut to never deal with that kind of talk again.
  • Options

Good vertical (up and down from and to management) and horizontal (with team mates/members) communication...

Screw it - I'd take a £3k pay cut to never deal with that kind of talk again.

Don't think your'e singing from the same hymn sheet.