Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Sleep problems

Comments

• Options
    Reading some of the above posts makes me think that I must be very lucky. I've never had a problem getting to sleep, but then most nights I don't go to bed until after 1am and up around 8. so usually get around 6 hrs sleep. Saying that I normally have to get up a couple of times to go to the loo, but that is due to my snoring which I've read has a side effect of wanting you to wee.....

As for my snoring..........keeps anyone I sleep with awake (which is why I've been conditioned to go to bed late so as to get any "other half" into a deep sleep before I get into bed). Also been told I have sleep apnoea and stop breathing for up to 10 seconds at a time - but as I said, it doesn't seem to harm me and I can usually sleep anywhere as once my head hits the pillow I'm usually off within minutes.
  • Options
    Remember it's about deep REM sleep rather than hours clocked that matters
  • Options
    Less alcohol
    More exercise
    Good diet

I don't sleep much for obvious reasons
  • Options
    edited November 2013
    I recommend a CD called "Yoga Sleep". Does the job.

You can get it on Amazon.
  • Options

Remember it's about deep REM sleep rather than hours clocked that matters

A good few of their albums send me to sleep!
  • Options
    normally go to bed about 12am to 1am. Up about 5.15am. Always have a black coffee or two after 10pm. Head hits pillow and I sleep like a log. At weekends might lie in till 8.30am. Can function perfectly well. IF I have more sleep though I am totally shattered.
  • Options
    Less important at this time of year but turned out to be money well spent on blinds to keep the bedroom dark.
    Heard doctors advising to get away from TV or computer an hour before you go to bed.Especially the CL takeover thread. Kindle is ok, not backlit, reading a book a good idea. And I believe having a lower bedroom temp was also said to help.
  • Options
    I normally go to bed at 4/5am and get up at 3/4pm...but lately I've been waking up in the night and not being able to sleep properly. And now to make it worse I've got a cold so I've had about 4 hours sleep earlier. Doing night shifts don't help my cause either.
  • Options
    A black coffee after 10pm...? Why?
  • Options

Swimming

This works for me every time - always sleep like a log, probably helped by being grievously unfit.

• Sponsored links:

• Options

Swimming

You got a water bed?

:-)
  • Options
    edited November 2013
    Trying taking Kalms, quite expensive but they are natural tablets (plant extracts) and certainly help me when I'm struggling to sleep.
  • Options
    Magnesium:

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/marek-doyle/help-me-sleep-magnesium-secret-to-sleep-problems_b_3311795.html

We use this because due to most peoples diets population is magnesium deficient. It reduces stress levels. Organic version is best. Good nights sleep/feel rested in morning. Avoid TV before sleep also.

Many health issues can be resolved by diet/exercise. No need for sleeping pils etc. Slippery slope.
  • Options
    I sympathise with those who have trouble sleeping. Since giving up alcohol I've never had a problem, in fact, I'm lucky if I last more than 2 or 3 minutes after hitting the pillow. (Getting to sleep that is)

My advice get all the gremlins out of your head before going to bed, all the nags and shit you've had to put up with all day. Have a read of the Chimp Paradox by Steve Peters, and put your chimps to bed at night.

Plenty of good exercise and not too much alcohol or nicotine.

• Options
    never had trouble sleeping, generally go to bed around 11/11.30pm and up at 5.45, kids sometimes wake up in the night etc, but I have an uncanny knack of being able to go straight back to sleep - whereas the missus moans it takes her ages to nod off again if woken up
  • Options
    As another poor sleeper there are few things in life more irritating than someone else telling you how easy they find it or how deeply they can sleep...

I find it's worse some nights than others e.g one night last week I had zero hours, none, nada, not a wink. With me, eventually I get to a position after a few days where my body and mind just packs up through exhaustion and I'll get a few good hours in, maybe as many as 5.

It's mostly a question of being able to switch off (or not) in my case as I regularly find myself mulling over work related stuff at 3:00am, which leads to frustration at myself, which leads to being wound up and so it goes on.
  • Options
    I go through the same thing BA, with work worries or whatever. If your mind is racing it won't slow down. So here are some techniques that really work for me... they might be nonsensical to anyone else, but they do the trick in my bed!

1. Accept that being in bed is the next best thing to being asleep. Just lying there is helping you recover, so lose the pressure you put on yourself to go to sleep.

2. As an extension of 1, spin it around - you get to be in bed AND be aware of it by being awake. What's better than that? Getting to consciously enjoy the single most comfortable place you could possibly be today?

3. Further to point 2 - treat it like a lie-in. You know how shitty it is when you know your alarm is about to go off, and how THAT is the point you want to sleep the most - so treat the entire night like a lie-in. "I've got 7 hours until I have to get up? Result! this is the best lie-in ever!" - this is my favourite technique.

4. Re-make your bed and lie on top of the covers, on your back. You are not allowed to move. Keep your hands crossed on your chest. No moving. Stare straight up. - I defy ANYONE to not be curled up asleep inside ten minutes.

• Options

As another poor sleeper there are few things in life more irritating than someone else telling you how easy they find it or how deeply they can sleep...

I find it's worse some nights than others e.g one night last week I had zero hours, none, nada, not a wink. With me, eventually I get to a position after a few days where my body and mind just packs up through exhaustion and I'll get a few good hours in, maybe as many as 5.

It's mostly a question of being able to switch off (or not) in my case as I regularly find myself mulling over work related stuff at 3:00am, which leads to frustration at myself, which leads to being wound up and so it goes on.

Doesn't the running help?

I am of similar temperament re mulling things over but when I was able to run I'd go late at night and after a hot shower or bath went to bed relatively relaxed.
  • Options
    LenGlover said:

Doesn't the running help?

I am of similar temperament re mulling things over but when I was able to run I'd go late at night and after a hot shower or bath went to bed relatively relaxed.
    These days it helps a little yes I think provided it's not too late into the evening. When I was doing track work or a 10 miler after work, I'd end up with runners high and be buzzing well into the night.

Sort of a plus point of getting older, fatter and slower I suppose :-/
  • Options
    JiMMy 85 said:

I go through the same thing BA, with work worries or whatever. If your mind is racing it won't slow down. So here are some techniques that really work for me... they might be nonsensical to anyone else, but they do the trick in my bed!

1. Accept that being in bed is the next best thing to being asleep. Just lying there is helping you recover, so lose the pressure you put on yourself to go to sleep.

2. As an extension of 1, spin it around - you get to be in bed AND be aware of it by being awake. What's better than that? Getting to consciously enjoy the single most comfortable place you could possibly be today?

3. Further to point 2 - treat it like a lie-in. You know how shitty it is when you know your alarm is about to go off, and how THAT is the point you want to sleep the most - so treat the entire night like a lie-in. "I've got 7 hours until I have to get up? Result! this is the best lie-in ever!" - this is my favourite technique.

4. Re-make your bed and lie on top of the covers, on your back. You are not allowed to move. Keep your hands crossed on your chest. No moving. Stare straight up. - I defy ANYONE to not be curled up asleep inside ten minutes.

Failing that, wank yourself dry.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited November 2013
    Shag said:

Read through some of these mate , should be off in no time

forum.charltonlife.com/profile/comments/6764/maybe_baby

Told you I was some use :-)

ps. Very flattered that you read all my posts too.

• Options
    For those who can't sleep there is some good news!
    The ashes start tomorrow night. Bollocks to sleep!
  • Options
    Yeah i have always had problems here too, weekdays i will go to bed 12-1, wide awake for a couple of hours then back to sleep up @ 6:30. Broken sleep is the worst.

last night i managed a whole 2-3hours max, my own fault as new shifts at work so slept on my day off till 2pm so im my own worse enemy.

• Options
    Very interesting thread, it must be incredibly frustrating for some of the folks on here who have sleep problems.

I occasionally have this issue - especially when I have been doing long-haul travelling - but find that knocking the booze on the head and doing high-intensity exercise tires me out and puts me out for 7+ hours.

Does not work for everyone though, we are all different.
  • Options
    edited November 2013
    I don't sleep soundly and often wake up in the middle of the night and can't get back to sleep. But reading this post I realise I'm not as bad as many others. When I don't have to be up for work or anything else, I often manage to back to sleep eventually, but often actually feel worse for a bit more sleep. Avoid caffeine, chocolate and too much alcohol - a couple of units (only) can help you be more relaxed. My GP suggested Phenergan, which you can get without prescription - I only take 1 & try not to take too often (during the week only) & it does seem to help a bit. Fresh bedlinen makes a difference too! & going to bed warm but not hot and then not being too warm through the night, reading helps (especially something on the boring side) & not eating too late, especially cheese as causes very weird dreams!
  • Options
    I know I'm not going to sleep tonight now...
  • Options
    12.40am. Been in bed since 11pm. Cant sleep. Resisting the urge to get out of bed otherwise I'll head to the fridge and eat anything I can put my hands on!
  • Options
    Morning all. Bit of man flu here. Went to bed at 7:30 and just woke up.
  • Options
    01:45 and despite having to be up in 5 hrs, I'm sitting here reading this............
  • Options
    I wanted to comment about all this earlier, I can't now, as I'm too tired to (but can't sleep)...