Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Ronaldo

13»

Comments

• Options
    Messi has been dogged by injury the past six months or so. Once he is back and fully fit (and scoring 70+ goals a season in all competitions which he is capable of), then people will be reminded of who the best really is.

Ronaldo is riding bit of a popularity wave whilst Leo is out.
  • Options
    Tom don't you start with the comparing!!! ;-)
  • Options
    "You're not the real Ronaldo!"
  • Options

cafctom said:

Think it is worth pointing out that Messi has pretty much the same amount of career goals as Ronaldo (around 350) despite being three years younger.

Messi does have far better creative players behind him though. The Spain squad didn't do too badly without him. Whereas Argentina he hasn't done much with.
    That's not really true though, is it? When you look at Ronaldo's and Messi's international goals to game ratio, they're basically identical - though Messi does shade it. Both just shy of a goal every other game. Brilliant records really, both of them - just not as good as their club figures!
  • Options
    He is amazing and has done it season after season as has Messi.

Just can't wait to see them both at the WC.

Would have also like to see Ibrahimovic there too as I think he is the best striker in the world.
  • Options

cafctom said:

Think it is worth pointing out that Messi has pretty much the same amount of career goals as Ronaldo (around 350) despite being three years younger.

Messi does have far better creative players behind him though. The Spain squad didn't do too badly without him. Whereas Argentina he hasn't done much with.
    That's not really true though, is it? When you look at Ronaldo's and Messi's international goals to game ratio, they're basically identical - though Messi does shade it. Both just shy of a goal every other game. Brilliant records really, both of them - just not as good as their club figures!
    Ronaldo is in a far worse international team, just like how he's in a worse club team too. The fact he can almost match Messi's goals ratio when Messi plays with many of the best players to set him up, its quite the feat.
  • Options
    edited November 2013

cafctom said:

Ronaldo is in a far worse international team, just like how he's in a worse club team too. The fact he can almost match Messi's goals ratio when Messi plays with many of the best players to set him up, its quite the feat.
    A worse club team which won La Liga the year before last (where yet again Messi was top scorer, with just the 50 league goals that season!) and always finishes 2nd or first... Also a team which had Ozil in - La Liga's top assist maker over the last 3 years (in total, not each year). The way people talk about Real Madrid as if they're some Mickey Mouse team!

Also, Portugal and Argentina. Is there really that much difference? I don't think so. Definitely rather Portugal's midfield for a start. I hope you saw Moutinho's passing yesterday. A much much better player than Argentina's Banega, for example.

I'm not arguing that Messi is better by the way... Just suggesting the difference in the teams both play for is massively overstated.
  • Options

cafctom said:

A worse club team which won La Liga the year before last (where yet again Messi was top scorer, with just the 50 league goals that season!) and always finishes 2nd or first... Also a team which had Ozil in - La Liga's top assist maker over the last 3 years (in total, not each year). The way people talk about Real Madrid as if they're some Mickey Mouse team!

Also, Portugal and Argentina. Is there really that much difference? I don't think so. Definitely rather Portugal's midfield for a start. I hope you saw Moutinho's passing yesterday. A much much better player than Argentina's Banega, for example.

I'm not arguing that Messi is better by the way... Just suggesting the difference in the teams both play for is massively overstated.
    Real Madrid in this era are worse than the Barcelona side, that's pretty much a fact. Iniesta, Xavi, Fabregas, Busquets, Messi all beat Ronaldo + Ozil. Plus Ronaldo played as a winger with Benzema and Higuain up front, whereas Ibrahimovic, Villa and Eto'o all got sold so Messi could go up front.

Don't really think i'd take Portugal's midfield either considering Di Maria, Mascherano, Banega and Alvarez would be a quality line up for any country. Portugal's defense is far better though i'd admit.

• Options
    Riviera said:

Ballon fucking D'or?

Who invented this bloody game?

The Chinese, they invented everything.

It's pronounced Baron Doll by the way
  • Options

cafctom said:

Real Madrid in this era are worse than the Barcelona side, that's pretty much a fact. Iniesta, Xavi, Fabregas, Busquets, Messi all beat Ronaldo + Ozil. Plus Ronaldo played as a winger with Benzema and Higuain up front, whereas Ibrahimovic, Villa and Eto'o all got sold so Messi could go up front.

Don't really think i'd take Portugal's midfield either considering Di Maria, Mascherano, Banega and Alvarez would be a quality line up for any country. Portugal's defense is far better though i'd admit.

Fair enough mate. The world would be boring if we all agreed with each other!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

cafctom said:

Fair enough mate. The world would be boring if we all agreed with each other!
    Both top players, we can agree on that!
  • Options
    Its got to be the Portuguese Andros Townsend for me (formerly known at the Portuguese Gareth Bale) ;)
  • Options

Tom don't you start with the comparing!!! ;-)

I know, I know - part of me was conscious of it as I wrote that last message!

I am a big fan of Messi though and really don't see the argument for him being "2nd best" when you add it all up.
  • Options
    The Guardian said on their podcast this week that he's scored more goals in this calendar year than Man U, and Chelsea. Madness.
  • Options
    Why do people get so het up over it? They're both world class and a pleasure to watch
  • Options

Sweden aren't great defensively, and portugal scrapped through qualifying.

I honestly think we would have had a much greater chance if we had played Jonas Olsson instead of Mikael Antonsson, he is the MVP for West Brom (for what it's worth) and just operates at a different level. Sadly our coach has been very erratic with his choice of defenders and so the stability is what it is. Also should have thrown on Durmaz at a much earlier stage/played him from the start. Larsson had a chance to make it 1-0 that I have no doubt Durmaz would have scored.

That said, Zlatan did most of the work to give us what little chance we had, and the Moutinho/Ronaldo combo is deadly.

• Options
    Well that's 5 mins I'll never get back