Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

New camera suggestions

Hi, I know there are a few photographers on here so I was hoping to pick your brains.

We are in the market for a new camera, a dslr or similar. We want something that is capable of being fully manual (my wife knows what she's doing) or automatic (I don't). Video capability is useful but not essential, and changeable lenses would be good too. We don't need a world beater or something too big or heavy. Canon/Nikon or maybe Sony seem to be the most popular, but I like the look of the Panasonic 3/4 sized camera too. Our budget is up to £500. Also, is the lens that comes with it half decent or require instant upgrade. It won't be used for anything too fancy - holiday and family photos mainly.

Many thanks for any suggestions!

Comments

• Options
    I have always gone Nikon and never been let down. I know my way round a 35mm/DSLR but sadly can be lazy as well so fully auto is a must.
    Every Nikon I have bought comes with a good quality Nikon lens, it just depends on what you want to start with.
  • Options
    Cool. Thanks! Depending on price, a lens with a bit more zoom wouldn't go amiss (clearly I know sod all).
  • Options
    I use a canon 600d, I bought it earlier in the year. It has fully auto settings when your starting out, which I still use if I have dogs with me and need eyes everywhere. Half a press focuses full press takes the shot, two or three different lens covers most of what I need.
  • Options
    There are two main makes Canon and Nikon, I have Canon but I believe Nikon are just as good. Which ever of these 2 makes you choose it will have automatic, creative and manual modes. I know nothing about Sony but I believe they have some newer technology than the other two but I'm not sure on their prices. For your money I do know you will get a good Canon or Nikon and suggest you choose whichever one gives you want you need.
    There is a very good price comparison web site at http://www.camerapricebuster.co.uk and I suggest you start there.
    Good luck
  • Options
    Cheers guys! Thanks for the link
  • Options
    I brought the Canon 1100D at the end of September... I think its the cheapest DSLR on the Currys website at the moment, I went for it as the complete beginners cheap option and love using it.

Was also given a Canon camera from the professional range after the passing of a relative a few weeks ago and have barely used it yet due to finding the options more complicated so I guess its a case of how confident you feel as well
  • Options
    Canon 600d. I'm currently just starting out as a videographer and this is what I use. Decent sensor and does the basics well as well as being cheap. Has automatic settings and if you know what you're doing you can get lots of different lenses and magic lantern works on it for video. Can shoot photos in RAW as well as other formats.

I'd highly recommend it.
  • Options
    I have a Sony DSLR which does the job, but don't use it that much now as DSLRs are very heavy and bulky for holiday snaps. I have a superzoom compact for most of my travels, though I really miss the manual focus which is essential for wildlife photography, so that you focus on the animal not the shrub it's hiding in!
  • Options
    I have Nikon, Canon and a pocket Panasonic. I prefer Nikon to Canon, but then Nikon went and messed up a bit, quite a bit in fact with some models. Panasonic have really surprised me with the quality of the photos. Decide what it is you want to do with the camera, try them all out and choose the one that feels comfortable for you both. If you know what you're doing and familiar with SLR's, then it's the quality of the bit of glass that you put onto the camera that really makes the difference IMO. If you buy from a non UK source, then the warranties are not valid, so always check it out. If the price seems low, be very suspicious.
  • Options
    I've just ordered the Panasonic Lumix. I have a lot of friends who are professional photographers and they all said even though it's the cheapest they own ( by a long way ) it's their favourite to use.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    tom- k said:

I've just ordered the Panasonic Lumix. I have a lot of friends who are professional photographers and they all said even though it's the cheapest they own ( by a long way ) it's their favourite to use.

My hubby uses it and two of his tele photos gained 20/20 in local projected image competitions. Fits in pocket, no weight at all, a bloomin' good everyday camera.

• Options
    My hubby uses it and two of his tele photos gained 20/20 in local projected image competitions. Fits in pocket, no weight at all, a bloomin' good everyday camera.

Glad to hear!

• Options
    edited November 2013
    Cheers folks! Is the lumix you are talking about one of those micro four thirds/G range? I've got a lumix point and click is all. Decent though. I like the sound of the 600D. We'll go to a local camera shop at the weekend, as we want to hold them and take a view based on weight, size and feel. Got some good ideas now ;)
  • Options
    Yes, exactly that. I ordered the G3
  • Options
    McBobbin, what you haven't mentioned is what you want the camera for. Why do you want a DSLR? Lot's of people want a DSLR as a trophy to hang around their neck, why is it important to you do have a DSLR? What sort of pictures do you want to make? Only when you start to answer these questions is it worth thinking about what particular camera is likely to be best for you.
  • Options
    Said at the start holiday and family photos... Nothing like wildlife or taking anywhere extreme like underwater or up a mountain. So needn't be too fancy, but my wife is pretty competent so the ability to take photos in a range of lights would help.

Said dslr or similar... As in has manual focus/aperture/shutter capability. Maybe a good compact/bridge could do what we want. Thinking a dslr might be too chunky for everyday use, hence interest in lumix
  • Options
    Sorry McB, missed the holiday and family bit - pissed a s a fart so beware of anything I say.

It doesn't sound to me like you need detachable lenses - why would you want them them for holiday and family? The Lumix thing sounds like a good idea; LX7 is very good, or perhaps one of the Canon G series. If you really want detachables than maybe a Nikkon J1 or Canon M1 but nothing I've seen convinces me that you'd need such a thing. Ultimately the most important part of the camera is the lens. If you get a Lumix, you'll be getting a Leica lens which is better than all the others. Bottom line is though, that they're all good. It's hard to go wrong if you stick with the main brands.
  • Options
    Cheers stig. Good to run it past people just so I can be clear in my own mind what we want (subject to veto from the ball and chain)
  • Options

Canon 600d. I'm currently just starting out as a videographer and this is what I use. Decent sensor and does the basics well as well as being cheap. Has automatic settings and if you know what you're doing you can get lots of different lenses and magic lantern works on it for video. Can shoot photos in RAW as well as other formats.

I'd highly recommend it.

Went with this in the end. We already had decent-enough compacts, so wanted something fancier. Played with this and a few others, and this one really cut the mustard.

Cheers for the suggestions.
  • Options
    Nice choice. As someone who's had earlier models in that range, I'm sure you won't be disappointed.

I was going to post about software, because it's not something people typically think about when getting a camera and unless you've got Lightbox or similar it's important. In my experience though Canon's DPP is the best proprietary software going in terms of ease of use, so that's another reason you've made a good choice.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Only just seen this thread so too late to offer an opinion, but for anybody else looking to get a new camera - perhaps for Christmas - I have the Nikon Coolpix P510 in Red. Great intermediate camera but I chose it for the 42X zoom. Family and friends have seen it and have also bought one.
  • Options
    Del, that 42X zoom is absolutely amazing. When I first heard about this I assumed it would be digital zoom, but it's all in the optics. For anyone else buying, be vary wary about the difference between digital and optical zoom. If you are unfortunate enough to have digital zoom on your camera, turn it off now, it is a con and nothing but bad news. Far better to take the shot and crop it later to suit than to crop it whilst shooting and never have the option to go back.
  • Options
    Stig said:

Del, that 42X zoom is absolutely amazing. When I first heard about this I assumed it would be digital zoom, but it's all in the optics. For anyone else buying, be vary wary about the difference between digital and optical zoom. If you are unfortunate enough to have digital zoom on your camera, turn it off now, it is a con and nothing but bad news. Far better to take the shot and crop it later to suit than to crop it whilst shooting and never have the option to go back.

Yeah digital zoom is bad, all you're doing is sacrificing pixels and image quality for a slightly closer image.
  • Options
    Agree with Stig & kentaddick. Optical zoom is about bringing a distant image closer while digital zoom is taking a grainy distant image and making that same grainy image larger!
  • Options
    I have 2 Panasonic lumix cameras and would not have anything else. One a digital slr and the latest more compact is the DMC tz30. Great cameras. Recommended by my father in law who is an amateur photographer and a fan of which so must have been originally recommended by them.
  • Options
    The problem with getting all 'the gear' is that you can't carry it around because it messes up airport allowances and it's too heavy to keep lugging it all around. Plus it's serious money these days. I've had to stop buying stuff although I quite fancy a birding monocular telescope to which I can attach a camera. It's cheaper than buying the huge lenses. But the telescope I like still costs 2-3 grand. Ah well, dream on gal. I hope everyone gets the photos they wanted.
  • Options
    tom- k said:

This looks good ...may get one myself ...don't know much about cameras and looks simple to operate
  • Options
    Anyone got any up to date suggestions, the Mrs is interested in one for work.

She is looking at Nikon and Canon

@blackheathaddick @Bedsaddick and any others with Cameras have any tips?
  • Options
    Are you looking for point and shoot or a DSLR Dazzler? Also what's the budget. I can easily recommend a good choice but it would totally depends on how much money you were looking to spend.
  • Options
    £250-£300 it's for Janice, she's interested in a digital slr as she needs high quality pictures to display her paintings etc... she also wants it to start a photography hobby.