Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Have you been paid today?

13»

Comments

• Options
    aliwibble said:

Staff being paid by CHAPS suggests cock-up with payroll or scheduled bank transfer process (eg forgetting that the 30th is a Saturday, so the payment needs to go out on the 29th) rather than a cashflow problem. It's not a cheap mistake either, as last time I looked at doing this it cost 25 quid each, as well as being very time consuming to do.

that's my thoughts ali,

• Options
    Payslip on a friday cash in account monday fecks weekend up tho. Unless u bank with barclays then goes in on a saturday.
  • Options
    I bank with Nat West and if my salary is due on a Monday, I can draw on it on the Saturday.

If people are paid today, but are normally paid on the last day of the month, any standing orders or direct debits they have going through on the last day of the month wouldn't be debited until Monday. Apart from maybe not having enough cash to buy anything today, they would be unlikely to be affected as far as direct debits and standing orders are concerned.
  • Options
    aliwibble said:

Staff being paid by CHAPS suggests cock-up with payroll or scheduled bank transfer process (eg forgetting that the 30th is a Saturday, so the payment needs to go out on the 29th) rather than a cashflow problem. It's not a cheap mistake either, as last time I looked at doing this it cost 25 quid each, as well as being very time consuming to do.

Or there were insufficient cleared funds in the account to meet the payroll until today?
  • Options

aliwibble said:

Or there were insufficient cleared funds in the account to meet the payroll until today?
    Source?
  • Options

aliwibble said:

Source?
    Source for a question?
  • Options

aliwibble said:

Source?
    Source for a question?
    Yeah good answer
  • Options
    I would have preferred if you had made your statement on Saturday Rick, after you had clarified that the staff hadn't been actually been paid during the day they were supposed to.IMO a statement like that aint needed right now.
  • Options

aliwibble said:

that's my thoughts ali,

My thoughts too.
  • Options
    Unless you think I am still on the payroll (!) then logically you would have to conclude that someone who is wanted it out there, wouldn't you?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Then maybe they should post it instead of you, because you constant negativeaty is getting annoying and I believe damaging.
  • Options
    Maybe they don't wanna lose their job
  • Options
    Moral amongst some staff is clearly shit , whether airman says it or Sam Bartram himself
    The staff weren't paid at the usual time and were eventually paid , so the main thing is sorted
  • Options
    I got paid yesterday : )

It's all gone today : (
  • Options
    I got paid today. Just like the Charlton staff.

Non story.
  • Options
    I paid too much f***ing tax today!!
  • Options

aliwibble said:

To be honest, it's possible but not the most likely explanation, given that if they use the regular 3 day BACS cycle, then they'd have known on Wednesday how much was due to come out, and could have made sure on Thursday that there'd be enough money in the account on Friday. It's far more likely that someone forgot to send the file on Wednesday, left the payment date as the 30th, or did something stupid so that the BACS file was rejected as invalid but they didn't notice in time. (Those are all scenarios I've actually had to deal with, in some cases more than once, although luckily it was usually with Direct Debits, so we were late taking money off people rather than late paying them. )

The BACS payments should come out of the club's account at the same time as the payments are passed to the staff's account, so if they HAD failed for insufficient funds then they'd have had to arrange for the funds to be transferred in to their account AND then back out to the staff on the same day. IF they maintain 2 separate bank accounts and they'd forgotten to transfer the money from one to t'other, then they could probably do that reasonably quickly, as long as both accounts are with the same bank. However, if they had to rely on getting a CHAPS transfer in from a 3rd party such as Richard Murray, then they'd be sweating on it coming in before they could start making the payments out, cos although the CHAPS payments are guaranteed same day, you've no guarantee of WHEN the same day they'll turn up. And making CHAPS payments is a lot more time consuming than sending in a BACS file cos you have to enter each one individually.
  • Options
    edited November 2013
    C'mon on Ali that's far too sensible an explanation. Let the conspiracy theorists have their drama.
  • Options
    This is all a bit unfair on airman, several members of staff made me aware and wanted it out their, they are always paid over night on the BACS process and no one was told this wouldn't be the case. Then in the morning info such as a CHAPS payment was seeping out rather than being properly communicated and there was genuine concern. There is a rumour that Joyes even commented about CL during the day so perhaps the pressure did help get staff paid, we will never know but staff wanted it out there. Anyway they have now got funds now albeit later than normal for the last 20 or so years.
  • Options
    edited November 2013
    Nicely clarified aliwibble on the technical side of things. Unfortunately this is what can happen when there is low morale within a workforce. Any deviation from the norm is seen as an opportunity to bad mouth the organisation especially if communication is not that great from the top down.

Ok so what would most of us have done yesterday when we checked our bank accounts to see how much we had been paid? Firstly, asked a colleague or line manager, then asked accounts. One would then hope an explanation would be offered or a promise to look into it and get back to you. You would not therefore so early in the day before any investigation could be done, phone an ex employee third party unless of course you are hell bent on causing as much grief for your employer as you can, for whatever reason.

Now if I had been that third party and ex management, unless I was privy to the FULL facts, would have said let's wait and see what transpires, give it to midday at least. I doubt whether anyone who has posted on this thread has ALL the facts surrounding the hiccough with the wages including Airman and therefore we once again had a 2+2=5 scenario.

At what could be a very delicate time for the club I think certain people inside and outside it involved in yesterday's non event as it turned out, need to have a serious hard look at themselves.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Molob said:

This is all a bit unfair on airman, several members of staff made me aware and wanted it out their, they are always paid over night on the BACS process and no one was told this wouldn't be the case. Then in the morning info such as a CHAPS payment was seeping out rather than being properly communicated and there was genuine concern. There is a rumour that Joyes even commented about CL during the day so perhaps the pressure did help get staff paid, we will never know but staff wanted it out there. Anyway they have now got funds now albeit later than normal for the last 20 or so years.

So you called a staff meeting did you and had a majority in favour?
  • Options
    Does that happen in other businesses when people want to air grievances?

There's been plenty of moaning and slagging off of ex and current employers on here in the past and can't remember the uproar then.

We're so precious sometimes just because it's our (figuratively speaking) club.
  • Options
    edited November 2013
    Molob said:

This is all a bit unfair on airman, several members of staff made me aware and wanted it out their, they are always paid over night on the BACS process and no one was told this wouldn't be the case. Then in the morning info such as a CHAPS payment was seeping out rather than being properly communicated and there was genuine concern.

In fairness to the club, depending on the exact cause of the problem, the first they may have known about it was when the payments didn't turn up on Friday morning. That said, once they knew something had gone wrong, it's crappy management to leave your staff to find out on the grapevine what's going on, particularly if it's common knowledge that one of the directors has had to pay the wages out of his own pocket previously, on top of all the uncertainty about a possible takeover. It's no wonder they were very concerned.
  • Options
    edited November 2013

C'mon on Ali that's far too sensible an explanation. Let the conspiracy theorists have their drama.

In fairness to Airman, the insufficient funds theory is not beyond the bounds of possibility, just not the only possible/likely reason.
  • Options
    WSS said:

Does that happen in other businesses when people want to air grievances?

There's been plenty of moaning and slagging off of ex and current employers on here in the past and can't remember the uproar then.

We're so precious sometimes just because it's our (figuratively speaking) club.

It was tongue in cheek. So you think the way it was leaked is in everybody's best interests do you?
  • Options
    Doesn't surprise me and just surprised it hasn't happened sooner seeing as what other creditors have to endure to get their wedge.