Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Safe Standing

12345679»

Comments

• Options
    clive said:
    dickad1 said:
    Is this going to change the ground’s capacity or it one existing seat to a safe standing ‘seat’?  
     Six season-ticket holders' seats will have to be removed and we’ll be in touch with them directly to support their relocation.”
    https://www.charltonafc.com/news/safe-standing-valley-202425
    Not sure 1000 people will fit in that space ? surely gonna have to take 10 seats out.
  • Options
    First club in South London to have it?
  • Options
    Can we still yell "SIDDAAAARN" in the safe standing areas?
  • Options
    I've just bought my seat in LL of block J - can I sit with my flask and train magazine still?
  • Options
    Next season there will be 1,000 safe standing spaces at rear of upper Covered End per club website
    Excellent news 
  • Options
    Next season there will be 1,000 safe standing spaces at rear of upper Covered End per club website
    At first, I thought this would have been better suited Lower CE... but I can see the logic of putting it right up the back 
  • Options
    You really need decent leg room for safe standing based on Old Trafford last year so can see why it’s going into the upper tier instead of the lower.
  • Options
    At first, I thought this would have been better suited Lower CE... but I can see the logic of putting it right up the back 
    It makes sense as everyone already stands in at least the west side.
  • Options

Two areas of safe standing are in place in the Covered End Upper for Saturday's game against Shrewsbury Town as part of tests ahead of the installation of more than 1,000 safe standing places for next season

This weekend, the back row of Block M and N in the Covered End Upper will have a safe standing rail in place for seats 204-244. 

A safe standing area for 1,064 Charlton fans will be installed in the Covered End Upper for the 2024/25 campaign.

https://www.charltonafc.com/news/safe-standing-update

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    The article does explain a lot of the reasoning. It's certainly true that standing in steep stands is more dangerous, at Reading someone nearly came a cropper at the very back of the away section 
  • Options
    Had to laugh at this.
    The area is where we had our first season tickets in Upper Covered End.
    Our Dad would be telling everyone to siddarn!!!!!!!! I paid good money for this seat.
    Miss you Dad 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣💚
  • Options
    edited April 19

From the article posted above… are the two pieces of information in bold new? I don’t remember seeing them shared anywhere before.

The club's Safety Officer Mick Everett has provided the below update... 

SAFE STANDING

The club were delighted to announce that, during the course of the summer break, a new safe standing area will be installed in the Covered End Upper. This new section will be across blocks G to N (excluding Block K) and will be the back eight rows throughout all of these blocks. This will give the club a safe standing area for 1,064 supporters. The seats will actually remain in situ so fans can still use them pre-match and at half-time should they wish to do so.

The club has also received provisional permission to install a safe standing area in the Covered End Lower, but this is something the club may pursue at some stage in the future, depending upon the success in the Covered End Upper.

• Options

From the article posted above… are the two pieces of information in bold new? I don’t remember seeing them shared anywhere before.

The club's Safety Officer Mick Everett has provided the below update... 

SAFE STANDING

The club were delighted to announce that, during the course of the summer break, a new safe standing area will be installed in the Covered End Upper. This new section will be across blocks G to N (excluding Block K) and will be the back eight rows throughout all of these blocks. This will give the club a safe standing area for 1,064 supporters. The seats will actually remain in situ so fans can still use them pre-match and at half-time should they wish to do so.

The club has also received provisional permission to install a safe standing area in the Covered End Lower, but this is something the club may pursue at some stage in the future, depending upon the success in the Covered End Upper.

Second bit is new. They had already said it was going to be the back 8 rows on the last update 
  • Options
    Wonder what the cost of this work is to install safe standing for 1064 people?.

One thing for sure Roland will not be paying for it .
  • Options
    What's the deal in Block F of the covered end?
    Bought tickets for me and my 12 yo a few weeks ago and everyone at the far end stands. Fair enough but it isn't designated is it?
    Because I had my boy with me he would have been staring at someone's backside for the whole game had we stayed there. So we just moved into the centre of the block where there were empty seats.
    If the stand had been full I would have had to have words and either get them to sit down or ask to be moved to another block which is not really fair when you've paid for seats.
    Safe standing is designated, it’s the same as having a seat number. 
  • Options
    When I first started coming as a boy to the Valley I stood on the East Terrace near the end we were attacking and moved to the other end in the second half. I was not a fan of all seater stadiums when they came it but soon got used to it. Nowadays my knees mean I would hate to stand throughout a match. If people want to stand, they should be able to though. 
  • Options
    I wish they’d just call it standing rather than ‘safe’. 
  • Options
    It’s safe in that there are individual standing spots that you have a ticket for, rather than a terrace where any number can congregate 
  • Options
    I'm glad they call it safe standing as that's what it is. It's specifically designed to take away risk and to alleviate the fears associated with previous disasters and more general crushing. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    fenaddick said:
    I'm glad they call it safe standing as that's what it is. It's specifically designed to take away risk and to alleviate the fears associated with previous disasters and more general crushing. 
    But safe standing isnt "safe". Just like walking to the shops isnt "safe". It's just standing.
  • Options
    Off_it said:
    fenaddick said:
    But safe standing isnt "safe". Just like walking to the shops isnt "safe". It's just standing.
    With a safety bar in front of you and a designated area 
  • Options
    Personally think it’s a bit of a nonsense - the fun of standing was the bundle, particularly after scoring - bath with your socks on springs to mind 
  • Options
    Off_it said:
    fenaddick said:
    With a safety bar in front of you and a designated area 
    100% right. 
  • Options
    fenaddick said:
    My issue is, standing wasn’t the problem in those disasters. ‘Safe’ standing implies it was and the football fans were at fault. 
  • Options
    fenaddick said:
    My issue is, standing wasn’t the problem in those disasters. ‘Safe’ standing implies it was and the football fans were at fault. 
    Potentially falling over a shin hight seat while celebrating is unsafe, not the fans standing behind it.
  • Options
    fenaddick said:
    You’re right re the disasters but there’s no denying people were crushed and hurt on terraces and people felt unsafe. Having a barrier there prevents that and makes it safer. Anyway it’s all semantics, if it improves atmosphere that’s fine by me. I know it’s where I’ll buy tickets for next season.