Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Brentford get new 20k stadium go ahead

By Kew Gardens, with additional 910 flats apartments built on site

Comments

• lost their manager though !
  • looks a bit crammed in there!

Where's the Brentford Baldy going to sit?
  • Griffin Park to be sold for housing
  • Still to be rubber stamped by the mayor but great news for them. Shame that it's in kew, griffin park is a short walk from my old halls of residence.

My mates a supporter and went to the meeting, apparently one councillor asked why they had to stay in the borough! How do these people get into seats of power.
  • edited December 2013
    As with most things planning wise it's been a bit of a saga and draws the usual amount of clueless cranks and nimbys from the woodwork.

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=1038181

More pics here. Looks pretty distinctive to me, no Cardiff/Swansea/Boro ish clone. Good luck to em.
  • With an average home attendance of 6,700 a 20k capacity will offer loads of room, bit like us at the moment, sit where you like within reason. Don't like the floodlights, stand is too low to have them along the guttering I suppose.
  • RIP Brentford Pub Lap
  • This will transform Brentford. They'll get much bigger crowds than they do now.
  • RedChaser said:

With an average home attendance of 6,700 a 20k capacity will offer loads of room, bit like us at the moment, sit where you like within reason. Don't like the floodlights, stand is too low to have them along the guttering I suppose.

They've been knocking at the door of the championship for a while and I know their owner has serious dosh and has long term ambitions for them as a premier league side. Griffin park is fit for purpose in league one but they aren't able to expand it as like the valley it's in a residential area. It would also cost them a fair wedge to install seating on their stand behind the goal. Gonna miss griffin park and the 4 pubs but onwards and upwards.
  • Due to the constricted site, the stadium is much more interesting looking than the standard 'bowl' or lego construction that would otherwise be built
  • Sponsored links:

• Nice to see a club with ambition.
  • Simonsen said:

This will transform Brentford. They'll get much bigger crowds than they do now.

Why ?
  • Their small crowds will love that place, lots of seats to choose between.
  • About time they knocked down that dump. Dont get me wrong I love the old fasioned grounds I love terracing but that poxy little stand we have to go in behind the goal is awful. You cant see sod all unless your at the front or your 6 foot plus.
  • Brentford are owned by a rich FAN. he has aquired the new site and pledged to cover the funding gap.
  • Simonsen said:

This will transform Brentford. They'll get much bigger crowds than they do now.

In my lifetime Brentford have never had big support and most people in their neck of the woods probably support a premier league side so them moving to a bigger ground isn't suddenly going to find them another 7-8k fans.

If they make their prices affordable they'll no doubt increase their gates a bit, but i don't see them suddenly getting 15k each week.
  • Brentford are owned by a rich FAN. he has aquired the new site and pledged to cover the funding gap.

And that fan is absolutely loaded. i think he's already invested upwards of £15 million in the club since he took it over, with a lot more where that came from.

• Shame to see the end of another traditional ground, although the new ground looks like it's a bit different to the standard new ground which is positive.

There will probably be an increase in attendances initially upon moving ground, however this will level off after a while as only so many people want to watch Brentford play third tier football. Similarly if they can get in the second tier there will be a rise and subsequent levelling off of attendances. Ultimately they need to be in the top flight on a reasonably regular basis if they want to get near capacity crowds regularly.

Someone has stated that they have a wealthy owner. Well he may get them in the top flight but eventually all owners leave a club and then the club tends to find a natural level. They have been a top flight club in the past but their natural level is about where they are now. As a third tier club, their fans could find themselves lost in ground that is too big, and if they want to know how that feels, ask Darlington fans.

• Shame to see the end of another traditional ground, although the new ground looks like it's a bit different to the standard new ground which is positive.

There will probably be an increase in attendances initially upon moving ground, however this will level off after a while as only so many people want to watch Brentford play third tier football. Similarly if they can get in the second tier there will be a rise and subsequent levelling off of attendances. Ultimately they need to be in the top flight on a reasonably regular basis if they want to get near capacity crowds regularly.

Someone has stated that they have a wealthy owner. Well he may get them in the top flight but eventually all owners leave a club and then the club tends to find a natural level. They have been a top flight club in the past but their natural level is about where they are now. As a third tier club, their fans could find themselves lost in ground that is too big, and if they want to know how that feels, ask Darlington fans.

I'm not sure he would want to leave unless it was to the right people/he suddenly became very broke. He's a lifelong brentford fan, so I'm sure he'll keep things sensible and always looking at the long term future of the club. Brentford are a club on the up at the moment.
  • Who in their right mind would want a nice, new, state of the art stadium ?
  • Sponsored links:

• Due to the constricted site, the stadium is much more interesting looking than the standard 'bowl' or lego construction that would otherwise be built

agree with this - quite like the look of it to be honest

• If he is so minted, and ambitious to get them into the Premiership, surely he should be looking at a higher capacity.
  • If they are such a rich club, on the up, going places etc etc....why is Rosler leaving for the glitz and glamour of Wigan.
  • Well it's not by Kew Gardens, that's the other side of the river, although I suppose there may be planning concerns about the view from the gardens being affected by the new tower blocks. From the artist's impression and road name it's on the no man's land between Kew Bridge Road and the A4/M4 so it'll be handy for Kew Bridge station, and a bit less of a trek from Gunnersbury.
  • If they are such a rich club, on the up, going places etc etc....why is Rosler leaving for the glitz and glamour of Wigan.

Because his family is up north and Brentford are far from rich. Plus Wigan have a much better chance of getting to the prem than Brentford currently do.

• AlexC said:

If they are such a rich club, on the up, going places etc etc....why is Rosler leaving for the glitz and glamour of Wigan.

Because his family is up north and Brentford are far from rich. Plus Wigan have a much better chance of getting to the prem than Brentford currently do.

they have a rich owner but one who doesn't like throwing money around and has instead invested in their backroom staff, youth academy and a new stadium. But it's a strange one, maybe Uwe has realised if he can't take them up this season he's going to be given the boot.
  • I was at the planning meeting and thought it was a good result. Context is that I'm a councillor in the ward, not on the planning committee. The question about why it has to be in the borough was actually a fair question. The Club have demonstrated that the only available site in the borough is Lionel Road, just north of Kew Bridge, and the costs of the land and development prevented the council getting any funds for onsite or offsite affordable housing. The councillor who asked this question could have been acknowledging that there may be an available brownfield site in, say, Spellthorne near the airport.

I can see Griffin Park out the back window and I'll miss it - though given Brentford's ability to turn victory into defeat, I have the feeling that there is still plenty of mileage left in this one.

Rosler still lives in the north-west, from his time at Man City I'd guess

• Who would want to leave a ground that has a pub on every corner?
  • 20k is quite cheap for a stadium isn't it?