Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Bolton Wanderers vs Charlton | Sat 21st Dec 2013 | Match Preview, Teams, Predictions, News & Views

edited December 2013 in General Charlton
Introduction

Another dismal Saturday saw Derby defeat Charlton 2-0 last weekend and despite the Addicks having some decent spells during the match, the lack of goal threat cost Chris Powell’s men as Derby secured three valuable points.

To bounce back, Charlton really do need to put in a performance against a Bolton side who despite a poor start to their season, have managed to pick up a few points to push them higher up the league table.

Another defeat for the Addicks could take them into the relegation zone for the first time this season.

The Opposition

Bolton have endured an inconsistent start to their 2013-14 campaign as Dougie Freedman’s side haven’t really impressed thus far but a decent November which saw them win three out of four matches will give the side confidence to progress in the latter stages of the season.

In their last fixture, Bolton lost 3-2 away to Wigan and played with one striker up-front in the shape of loanee Joe Mason. However, the return of Mark Davies to the squad last weekend after a seven month absence will give Trotters a boost ahead of Saturday's fixture.

Despite their league position, the quality that Bolton have within their squad shouldn’t be undervalued. The likes of Jay Spearing, Chris Eagles and Jermaine Beckford all have Premier League experience and are capable of causing the Addicks a few problems this weekend.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eTM7gBXB10Y

Player to Watch

The player to watch this weekend is Bolton winger Lee Chung-Yong. The South-Korean international displays huge amount of talent which could force one or two problems on the Addicks defence. If it wasn’t for a broken leg that he suffered in 2011, then Lee would probably be a first-team regular in a Premier-League side. In fact, Lee was actually once named as one of the top 50 rising stars in football in 2009 by The Times.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tZaRW8KOLsI

The Line –Up

Who knows?!

In all seriousness, the lack of goal-threat on Saturday will probably prompt a change of formation with Simon Church back upfront with Yann Kermorgant in a 4-4-2 formation.

Elsewhere, Chris Solly will be looking for a return to the first-team after recent substitute appearances. If Solly does return, then Lawrie Wilson could be pushed further up-field to right-wing.

Ben Hamer might not be ready in time for Saturday’s fixture so Ben Alnwick will probably continue in goal.

Richard Wood will be pushing for a starting centre-back spot ahead of Dorian Dervite while Dale Stephens and Jordan Cousins are likely to continue in the middle of midfield.

Marvin Sordell is unavailable against his parent club due to his loan, so Joe Pigott will probably replace him on the bench and Johnnie Jackson is suspended.

The Prediction

A 1-0 victory to give the Addicks a very Merry Christmas.

Comments

• Standard 2-0 defeat.
  • We will lose either 1-0 2-0 or 2-1 .
  • The travelling hordes will go home disappointed
    3-0 to The Whites
  • Cant see us getting anything out of this sadly......2-0 Bolton............I cant do the match thread this week as I'm visiting my poorly mum..........@sethplum and hopefully some others will help out.......take care all and Merry Christmas to all the match thread followers and fellow Charlton Lifers.
  • A lame, routine 3.0 defeat and the bottom 3 beckons!
  • Bolton 1 nil as that's our favourite scoreline this season.

But we're more than capable of grabbing 3 points, Bolton aren't much good this season. Imagine we'll try and keep it tight for a clean sheet and hope snatch something from one of the few chances we'll create.
  • Heading up there for this game despite 'I should be sorting out Christmas' vibes, so gotta stay positive a 2-0 win to the Reds.
  • edited December 2013
    A Charltonesque battling one- nil away win with Cousins scoring early on.

Alnwick, Wood, Solly, Morrison and Wiggins keep the northern hordes at bay for 97 mins and we start checking how many points we are off the play-offs.

Line up as per the preview.
  • In my opinion our best chance of a result over the Xmas period. Team selection, tactical method, use of subs these days a complete mystery to me, so I've just stuck a pin in the donkey and it came up a draw.
  • Sponsored links:

• Granpa said:

In my opinion our best chance of a result over the Xmas period. Team selection, tactical method, use of subs these days a complete mystery to me, so I've just stuck a pin in the donkey and it came up a draw.

But Sordell is not available for selection Gramps :-0
  • Another pointless weekend.
  • it's the nearest game to home for us so we'll be there but without expectation but with hope.
    1-0
  • edited December 2013
    The suggested team is exactly what I would go with and the best we can put out at the moment but I don't see us picking up another point until the Sheff Wed game unfortunately.

Fair play to any addicks who attend this one. It takes alot to motivate yourself to travel the fair old journey upto Bolton 4 days before Xmas on the back of a dismal run and a poor record at the Reebok.

...but I hope you all come home singing the jingle bells song.
  • 2 nil Bolton
  • edited December 2013
    I recall from my youth and childhood .. very distant recollections .. that we rarely got much out of Bolton, home or away. The best we can hope for here is a draw I fear, though I can see a backs to the wall defensive display ruined by a 85th minute Notlob goal and Powell lamenting afterwards that we were unlucky not to get a point after a brave performance.

We need to be really brave and attack, attack .. attack attack attack:

Alnwick .. Solly Wood Morrison Wiggins .. Wilson Cousins Stephens .. Kermorgant Pigott Stewart

Bolton Wanderers 2 v CAFC 2
  • This is my first trip oop norff this season so I'm both dreading and looking forward to it.

I reckon it could be a new low for the season, maybe 3-0 to Bolton. We battle valiantly but let our heads drop after a fluke goal.
  • Can't see us winning this one 2-0 to them.
  • CP: It's an important month for us. We have these four games and then January.
    CP: I have to shake things up. How I do that is up to conjecture, but I have to do it.
    CP: We need that impetus, that spark. That could be bringing in some players who are unaffected by what has gone on before.
    CP, on Bolton Wanderers Official: Every game for us now is huge in respect to our position. That doesn't change i you climb the table.
    CP: Our supporters need a lift. We had a really positive October, but we are better than we have been in November and Dec.
    CP: My players are training well. They are playing for each other. You need a side with spirit and character.
    CP: We can take some solace from playing well, but we need three points which would be the cherry on top of it.
    Chris Powell confirms that Marvin Sordell is unavailable for the game at Bolton due to the terms of his loan.
    Chris Powell confirms that Ben Hamer and Leon Cort unavailable at Bolton due to injuries, but Chris Solly has a chance.
    CP: We are where we are, but not a week goes by when we are not trying to move this great football club forward.
  • Sponsored links:

• RED CHASER
    But Sordell is not available for selection Gramps :-0

Took me a while to get that one, but I like your style. Having said that, who are the fools ? We are paying him good wages to play for 10 minutes !
  • We can't get arrested at Bolton EVER...

3-0 to Notlob
  • We'll get 0 or 1, they'll get 1 or 2
  • A must win against a team down the bottom, 1-0 win to us.
  • I to would like to see us attack. I believe that given our position we are adopting a far too cautious approach, both home and away. I understand Powell likes a solid approach because it has got him results at Birmingham & Blackburn. However, I believe that they are like a lot of other teams in our division, mediocre. Even the teams that went up last season didn't strike fear into me. We, like every other team can win the game on the day. I admire the fact that we haven't really had any heavy defeats as yet, but our points tally is getting drastic.

We're on 18 after 20 games. Even if we get 3 wins from our next 3 games, it means we reach the halfway mark on 27 pts. Say we repeat that over the 2nd half of the season, that's 54 pts in total. That will be dangerously close to the bottom 3. Of course we can pick it up and go on a run and suddenly find ourselves in the top 10, given the proximity of points between 6th place and 24th. But, at the moment, the only way I see out of it is to attack. I'll happily take a 3/4-0 hammering between now and the end of the season, if it means we give ourselves a chance of 3 pts.

I just don't believe we approach games positively. Last Saturday was a great example. Pritchard the furthest forward of our midfielders?? He's someone I would take playing further back, but our thinking shouldn't be getting someone like him supporting the forward.

We all know the squad isn't great, and we definitely lack forward options, but if we're going to be down there scrapping it out, let's go for it in the process. I really think teams in this division aren't the sort of teams you sit back against. In addition I don't think we've got the pace or the guile to hit teams on the counter. We've got to hard.
  • cabbles said:

I to would like to see us attack. I believe that given our position we are adopting a far too cautious approach, both home and away. I understand Powell likes a solid approach because it has got him results at Birmingham & Blackburn. However, I believe that they are like a lot of other teams in our division, mediocre. Even the teams that went up last season didn't strike fear into me. We, like every other team can win the game on the day. I admire the fact that we haven't really had any heavy defeats as yet, but our points tally is getting drastic.

We're on 18 after 20 games. Even if we get 3 wins from our next 3 games, it means we reach the halfway mark on 27 pts. Say we repeat that over the 2nd half of the season, that's 54 pts in total. That will be dangerously close to the bottom 3. Of course we can pick it up and go on a run and suddenly find ourselves in the top 10, given the proximity of points between 6th place and 24th. But, at the moment, the only way I see out of it is to attack. I'll happily take a 3/4-0 hammering between now and the end of the season, if it means we give ourselves a chance of 3 pts.

I just don't believe we approach games positively. Last Saturday was a great example. Pritchard the furthest forward of our midfielders?? He's someone I would take playing further back, but our thinking shouldn't be getting someone like him supporting the forward.

We all know the squad isn't great, and we definitely lack forward options, but if we're going to be down there scrapping it out, let's go for it in the process. I really think teams in this division aren't the sort of teams you sit back against. In addition I don't think we've got the pace or the guile to hit teams on the counter. We've got to hard.

*Got to GO hard*
  • Comfortable away win 4-0
  • @stubley, fantastic preview which sets the scene nicely.

This will be a frustrating afternoon again until a last gasp equaliser from Yann. I'm going 1-1
  • RedPanda said:

This is my first trip oop norff this season so I'm both dreading and looking forward to it.

I reckon it could be a new low for the season, maybe 3-0 to Bolton. We battle valiantly but let our heads drop after a fluke goal.

Burnley away is my low for the season