Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton are "a bunch of nobodies"

WSSWSS
edited March 2007 in General Charlton
Crystal Palace chairman Simon Jordan has launched a furious tirade at bitter rivals Charlton Athletic.

In an interview with FHM magazine, Jordan rapped: "I couldn't care less about Charlton. They're a bunch of nobodies. They represent nothing to me.

"They spread lies about me in the media. Dirty lies! Rotten, dirty lies. When they didn't have a ground, we gave them ours. Yet when we get relegated in the last minute at The Valley, their fans do a conga?

"Then their chairman turns around to me and says 'Enjoy The Championship . . . t****r'. That is just despicable."

Comments

• Options
    generally nobodies never get talked about.

two years on and he's still warbling away....

ETCYT
  • Options
    Looks like hes really got a thing about us........... Its a bit like all those Palace fans that say they dont care yet spend hours moaning about us on BBS etc
  • Options
    A bitter, twisted, jealous, odious scumbag

Did he mention that they absolutely raped us for the rent to stay at their dump?

What FHM is that in? I didn't think it was in the one with Carmen Electra on the front???
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Carter[/cite]A bitter, twisted, jealous, odious scumbag

Did he mention that they absolutely raped us for the rent to stay at their dump?

What FHM is that in? I didn't think it was in the one with Carmen Electra on the front???

yup, it's in that one
  • Options
    'Enjoy The Championship . . . t****r'.

I already loved Richard Murray, now I love him more. A lot more.
  • Options
    Carmen Electra - Talentless vessel, straggly blonde hair, fake tan
    Simon Jordan - ..................
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: CharltonDan[/cite]Looks like hes really got a thing about us........... Its a bit like all those Palace fans that say they dont care yet spend hours moaning about us on BBS etc

To be honest Dan, prior to the premiership game at the Valley in 2005, the vast majority of palace fans really could'nt have given a toss about Charlton.

However since that day, things have definitley changed, and that has all been because of the reaction of Charlton fans at our relegation......it has a left a very bitter feeling amongst a lot of Palace fans, particularly those that were there that day.

I dont really think we realised how much charlton fans hated Palace, until May 2005.

If im honest I still dont really completely understand why that it is? I am obviously aware of the whole Charlton playing at Selhurst situation, but it does irk a lot of Palace fans that Palace seem to cop all the blame for this arrangment. When it was not Palace who actually created the need for Charlton to abaondon the Valley?

Just out of interest why did CAFC have to leave the valley?
  • Options
    The thing with Jordan is he has no class. Richard Murray would probably have never said that if perhaps your chairman had shown a bit more respect on that very day instead of turning up with his bouncers... not coming into the boardroom to have lunch with the Chairman as is usual and have our chairman sat there waiting for him.

Does he think its cool to square up on the stairs and then back down and hide behind his bloody bouncers.

The stupid man wrote an article in one of the broadsheets basically calling all premiership chairmen tossers so when your luck is down the BIGGEST TOSSER OF THEM ALL should expect to have it thrown back in his face at the most fortunate moment.
  • Options
    Utter mismanagement of our finances.

We all know the situation wasn't of your making, but the way we were treated from everyone from your fans, to the people serving at half time to Uncle Ron is what caused this mass ill feeling from us.

Personally I think you're wrong with this mate. I know quite a few Palace guys and deep down there is a very real dislike of Charlton, it has only been diluted into the majority of Palace because of where we found ourselves during the 70s / 80 s (apart from a short stint) and early 90s whilst you were be acclaimed as "The Team of the (insert decade here)". Hence the apparent lack of rivalry.

I cant understand why most Palace say that they now hate us for sending them down and celebrating it, when we were winding you up in a worst way when we beat you at SP on the way to the Championship, there was a very real chance you were going to go out of business and we were singing "We'll never play you again"...........Surly that must have hurt more, or was the relegation just more embarrassing and hence the rekindled / new found dislike of all things CAFC?
  • Options
    we should use some of the money from the charity day and get the bloke killed.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: son of selhurst[/cite]

To be honest Dan, prior to the premiership game at the Valley in 2005, the vast majority of palace fans really could'nt have given a toss about Charlton.

Sorry mate but that's crap.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: CharltonDan[/cite]Utter mismanagement of our finances.

We all know the situation wasn't of your making, but the way we were treated from everyone from your fans, to the people serving at half time to Uncle Ron is what caused this mass ill feeling from us.

Personally I think you're wrong with this mate. I know quite a few Palace guys and deep down there is a very real dislike of Charlton, it has only been diluted into the majority of Palace because of where we found ourselves during the 70s / 80 s (apart from a short stint) and early 90s whilst you were be acclaimed as "The Team of the (insert decade here)". Hence the apparent lack of rivalry.

I cant understand why most Palace say that they now hate us for sending them down and celebrating it, when we were winding you up in a worst way when we beat you at SP on the way to the Championship, there was a very real chance you were going to go out of business and we were singing "We'll never play you again"...........Surly that must have hurt more, or was the relegation just more embarrassing and hence the rekindled / new found dislike of all things CAFC?

The " we'll never play you again" song seems to have created to very different views, my own personal view is i found that and the way some people collecting with buckets were spat at by charlton fans ,more offensive than the relegation celebrations.

But there are certainly more palace fans in the pub I drink in, who see that day at selhurst as being just Charlton enjoying there moment of glory......and it would have been a very different matter had that stand been full of Brighton singing that.

I do think now though that there is a significant amount of palace fans who see charlton as rivals for various reasons and that the next time the to teams meet, I expect there will be problems.

It's got to be said our Chairman, will have to take some responsibility if things do get nasty when the palace and charlton next meet.

I like simon Ithink he's been good for Palace.
    But sometimes he's like Jade Goody.....you just wonder why he is given the oxygen of publicity.
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    [/quote]

Sorry mate but that's crap.[/quote][/quote]

Not in my 30 years of watching palace it is'nt.
  • Options
    What kind of problems!lol!
  • Options
    To be honest I hate Palace mainly because of their Chairman & what he says about us constantly. Selhurst years were not the best but their are two sides to every story I suppose & Charlton are hardly blameless in getting into that state, it is hardly Crystal Palace's fault. However, having found out exactly how Mr Jordan conducted himself during the day Palace were relegated I think our Chairman was quite restrained in his comments. His constant bleatings about us since that day get on my nerves now & probably only galvanises the hatred our fans as a whole now have for CPFC.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Ketman[/cite]To be honest I hate Palace mainly because of their Chairman & what he says about us constantly. Selhurst years were not the best but their are two sides to every story I suppose & Charlton are hardly blameless in getting into that state, it is hardly Crystal Palace's fault. However, having found out exactly how Mr Jordan conducted himself during the day Palace were relegated I think our Chairman was quite restrained in his comments. His constant bleatings about us since that day get on my nerves now & probably only galvanises the hatred our fans as a whole now have for CPFC.

I imagine his behaviour was'nt good, did he have his brother with him?
  • Options
    CPFC fans probably didn't give a toss because they didn't feel threatened. Since CAFC have been in the ascendancy and in a higher league than Palace, things seem to have changed. Maybe Jordan's bleatings are down to jealousy, plain and simple??

If things do get nasty between Palace and CAFC, Simon Jordan will have to take the lion's share of the responsibility - he'll probably be first in (or directing his bouncers from a safe position). The he will balme everyone else. The man totally lacks integrity - you're welcome to him.
  • Options
    Apparently he did have his brother with him.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Ketman[/cite]To be honest I hate Palace mainly because of their Chairman & what he says about us constantly. Selhurst years were not the best but their are two sides to every story I suppose & Charlton are hardly blameless in getting into that state, it is hardly Crystal Palace's fault. However, having found out exactly how Mr Jordan conducted himself during the day Palace were relegated I think our Chairman was quite restrained in his comments. His constant bleatings about us since that day get on my nerves now & probably only galvanises the hatred our fans as a whole now have for CPFC.

I imagine his behaviour was'nt good, did he have his brother with him?

What there is two of them? Not sure about that, if you read Curb it's post above & add a bit more drama to it will give you a better idea of what went on. There was also a bit of Trouble with Bob Dowie in the West Stand as well.
  • Options
    At the end of the day he says we're nobodies and he doesn't care about us but he's still going on about us!

Being honest i don't hate Palace simply because of my age, and where i live and went to school no-one supported Palace so i never really saw them as rivals. I dislike West ham and Millwall because mates support them and there's the banter between us.
    That said i can fully understand why the older generation shall we say, do hate them.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    We should arrange a fans day if we ever play again!Loads of beer and a big open park to rebuild relationships!lol
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Carter[/cite]Apparently he did have his brother with him.

I think when Sj and theo pafitis labelled themselves at football league meetings " The south London Mafia" ...we found out all we needed to know.

As for being welcome to him...he is better than noades!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Carter[/cite]Apparently he did have his brother with him.

I think when Sj and theo pafitis labelled themselves at football league meetings " The south London Mafia" ...we found out all we needed to know.

As for being welcome to him...he is better than noades!

That's like saying dysentary is better than ebola! Or your own tumour Goldberg!
  • Options
    What there is two of them? Not sure about that, if you read Curb it's post above & add a bit more drama to it will give you a better idea of what went on. There was also a bit of Trouble with Bob Dowie in the West Stand as well.[/quote]

Just read curb it's post, im not really surprised by the jist of it and i think I can probably fill in the blanks. One thing I would say is that SJ has never done the boardroom thing at anyground, he barely does it at Selhurst.

What was Bob Dowie up to? Is that why Iain was not allowed his own staff at CAFC?
  • Options
    Bob dowie? I head it was dowies mother!

panto season that day.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Curb_It[/cite]Bob dowie? I head it was dowies mother!

panto season that day.

Oh no it was'nt! :-)
  • Options
    i think a lot of it boils down to embarrassment, and feelings of your own club.

To me the dislike of Crystal Palace, and Selhurst, in particular will always act as a reminder of when our club was at the lowest point in its history, when it was in a very real chance of going out of business.

It felt like our club was being taken away from us, the journey to Selhurst on a Saturday is one of the most painful short hops possible. All that we had at the ground was a portakabin and a badge on the back of the main stand. It was completely enforced every other week that this is not our ground, this is not our area, we are not wanted here and we don't want to be here.
    So its a dislike by association as much as a dislike in everything else. Since then your chairman has done his best to keep us interested, plus there have been a few incidents away from the pitch that haven't helped.

From your point of you, i just don't understand. If you view your sites there appears to be this form of group ettitquette that is enforced on people; you're not allowed to have your own views, you have to hate Brighton because we say so, despite the fact you went 20-odd years without playing them. To me 'rivalry' can't be fabricated like that, you either don't like someone, or you do. I think this rivalry thing is all very sad, its for adults that want some of tribal warfare without getting involved with violence. I couldn't give a stuff what Crystal palace supporters think of Charlton, its going to have no impact at all on my views of Crystal Palace.

I personally think the 'burying heads' approach by Palace has been an attempt to try and dismiss us and not recognise how much we have moved forward in the past 15 years. As Dan said, it was strange that it took a bit of celebration for cocking up your season to prompt bitterness the other way. Like him, i would of thought it would of been stirred from the time we all took the p over at Selhurst in our championship season.

Perhaps like us, it was being in a situation like relegation where you were experiencing something you didn't want, that stirred emotions more.
  • Options
    AFKA

Interesting points, there is without doubt a body of palace fans who almost find it heracy that other palace fans now see charlton as a bigger game than Brighton.

I would say that being brutally honest, playing Charlton every year in the premiership should be the ambition of Palace and not some club we have played 4 times in 15 years who basically at present are really a league on side from the coast.

I dont however buy this jealousy thing as far to many people I know have talked about how palace should be trying to emulate the achievements of CAFC under curbs.

I think hostility did start to grow following the game at Selhurst in 2000, and things have built up ultimately with 2005 may game.

Palace v Charlton should be a big game, it's the 2 best supported teams in south London, there is enough history from both sides to make this a very meaningful game....... any palace fan who tells you that this game is just another game......is lying.
  • Options
    It's up to individuals fans to decide which clubs or other supporters they dislike as AFKA says and for whatever reasons they choose.

Whether that dislike/hatred/whatever is reciprocated is, in reality, irrelevant. Some people on this site "hate" Tony Blair. The PM has never met them and most likely doesn't know or care that they hate him. That doesn't make their dislike for him any less valid or real
  • Options
    the game we sent palace down was a very funny day , i had 8 palace friends in the palace end all laughing and waving at me when they'd gone 2-1 up , text messages etc.... but they never looked in my direction when fortune equalised, or respond to my 'sha lalalala la we sent the palace down' text messages that i sent for 6 weeks....... if it was the other way round i would have expected to see them dancing around and cheering at our demise ... it's all banter.... as for rivalry my big dislike is for millwall(whatever happened to them?)...... and the same palace fans started texting me and giving it at the beginning of the season when we looked certainties for relegation , hopefully i'll have the last laugh....but i do remind them they can come back to me when they've spent 7 consecutive years in the prmiership...shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh