Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton are "a bunch of nobodies"

2»

Comments

• Options
    ooah aah, you need to sort out your social circle pal. 8 Palace pals ?????

Surely there should be a limit put somewhere ? I would of suggested 2 at the max...
  • Options
    Far to many
  • Options
    i should have put ex work colleague/friends...not much contact these days tho;-)
  • Options
    MCSMCS
    edited March 2007
    I can honestly say i only know of one palarse fan, and i dont like the ****. OOoooohaaaaaahhhhh afka is right, 8? i didnt really know they had 8 fans!

*Edit* Oh and i really f**king ate em
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Its not a jealousy of Charlton SoS, but a jealousy of what we have managed to achieve over the past 10/15yrs, whilst you have gone backwards, and after all the acclaim that was being banded around.

Put it this way - If someone had told you 15 years ago that Charlton would have spent 8 of the past 10 seasons in the top flight, with the other two being spent as Playoff Winners and Div 1 Champs, rebuilt our fans base to the point where CAFC are considering expanding the ground to a 40k capacity and have a number of international players in their squad, whilst you guys would only spend a handful in the top flight, almost go out of business and see your status and support dwindle in that same period. You'd have told me to go home and have a lie down.

You apparently had the footballing world at your feet, whilst we were just happy to be playing tier 2 football and have a ground of our own.

All this from your most local of neighbours. Its gotta rile..... despite what the majority of Palace fans say, or would like us to believe.
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]It's up to individuals fans to decide which clubs or other supporters they dislike as AFKA says and for whatever reasons they choose.

Whether that dislike/hatred/whatever is reciprocated is, in reality, irrelevant. Some people on this site "hate" Tony Blair. The PM has never met them and most likely doesn't know or care that they hate him. That doesn't make their dislike for him any less valid or real[/quote]

I think it's more valid
  • Options
    I always thought the reason Palace hate Brighton & claim at every possible opportunity, on a continual basis to not have any feelings towards us, is basically down to the fact that up until the late sixties Palace & Brighton were 4th Division teams, whilst we were Div 1 a lot of the time.

It's like the rivalry now say between Rochdale & Bury, Manchester United don't feature as they are in a differnt stratosphere. Even if Rochdale were to do a Palace & start punching well above their historical weight, they couldn't convincingly claim Manchester United as rivals - as historically the two have never met often enough in the past.

Palace were mostly several leagues below us for more than 30 seasons from the thirties to the sixties.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Oakster[/cite]
    Palace were mostly several leagues below us for more than 30 seasons from the thirties to the sixties.

Palace were regular rivals in the 20' & 30's, until our then meteoric record making rise from Division III South Champions to Runners Up Division I (top flight) in successive seasons.

We only played 14 Division One seasons but in a continuous 20 year run, divided by 6 years of World War II. After our relegation in 1957 and Palace's promotion to Division 2 about 1964, we played them each season for 5 years. Palace first played old Division One in 1969 (pipping us to promotion, we finished 3rd) and we soon plummeted to the 3rd Division.

But I take your point, apart from the early years, it was a long period before we played them regularly in the 60's.
    And most supporters will know the recent history.

In our long spell in Division 1, Arsenal was the 'grudge' match, so my Dad tells me (from their old Woolwich Arsenal days).

When I was at school in Welling in the late 60's, Millwall was always the enemy - matches attracted the best crowd of the season and everyone was fired up!

Palace were still rivals but they didn't compare with Charlton/Millwall feuding.
  • Options
    I don't buy this 'Palace don't care about Charlton' shite for one minute.

My brother in law is a Palace fan - he hates us.
    I worked with a Palace fan for two years solid, saw him every day - he hates us.
    The job i had previously had a Palace fan working there - he hates us.
    I played Sunday league in Croydon/Merton for seven years and every Palace fan that i played against said they hated us when they found out I was Charlton.

Now, I've been known to engender some nasty responses in my time, but surely its too much of a coincidence for every Palace fan I've ever met to hate Charlton (unless they all sit in the same part of ground and their hatred has rubbed off on each other or summat).

Basically, most football fans of teams that are geographically close to each other will have some animosity towards their local rivals - its only natural that this shyould be the case. I daresay that the events of the past ten years or so (especially Selhurst 2000, the Valley 2005) will have heightened the ill-feeling, but to say that it didn't exist before is patent nonsense.

As far as I can make out, the main reasons for Palace hating Brighton stem from the seventies - Boxing Day and that dirty, stinking no-mark Mullery with his five bob. Thats fair enough, but surely you have to move on? Brighton are pretty much a joke side nowadays and we're more the sort of rival you should aspire to, surely? I'm all for keeping traditions alive (look at me - I still fookin hate ya from the Sellout days) but it seems a little bit pointless harbouring a grudge against a side who are a division below you and not likely to make any sort of a serious challenge for promotion for yonks due to lack of fanbase, millstone of their new ground and general all-round shiteness.

Besides, Tangoman is doing very nicely fanning the flames of discontent with a team he regularly professes to care nothing about - yet continually shouts abuse aimed at us from every soapbox he's wheedled for himself.

Simple fact is - we hate you, and you (whether you want to admit it or not) hate us.

Now don't get me started on the Spanners...
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    In my experience following Charlton on and off since we left the Valley, there has always been 'trouble' when we played Palace - FACT!

Additionally, the contrast with our treatment at Selhurst, was our treatment at Upton Park which was far more friendly/accomodating.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    got a new bloke starting at my work on monday i think, called gordon who is a charlton fan. he's working in the accounts department, where there are 3 palace and a millwall. there is also a west ham, and the divvy arsenal fan, we've gotta sort out the balance a bit!! up the addicks!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: suzisausage[/cite]got a new bloke starting at my work on monday i think, called gordon who is a charlton fan. he's working in the accounts department, where there are 3 palace and a millwall. there is also a west ham, and the divvy arsenal fan, we've gotta sort out the balance a bit!! up the addicks!
    Sack the palace fans
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: suzisausage[/cite]got a new bloke starting at my work on monday i think, called gordon who is a charlton fan. he's working in the accounts department, where there are 3 palace and a millwall. there is also a west ham, and the divvy arsenal fan, we've gotta sort out the balance a bit!! up the addicks!

Blimey suzi, your company trusts palarse and hamsters with money, they must like living on the edge!
  • Options
    2 of the palace geezers do payroll, i have to check my account thoroughly on pay day! financial controller is millwall. some are surprised the he can add up! ;-)