Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

David Coleman RIP

Comments

• Options
    RIP, BBC Sport legend.
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    RIP DC
  • Options
    Thought he was already dead for some reason.

Great voice. RIP
  • Options
    Legend R.I.P.

David Coleman

Tribute has to be paid the man who started Colemanballs, the man who they are named after, the one and only David Coleman. For nearly 50 years from 1954 he was a sports presenter and commentator for the BBC and during that time for most of us David Coleman meant sport. He had plenty to say - he covered eleven Olympics and seven World Cups - and sometimes what he said probably wasn't exactly what he thought...and so started Colemanballs. There are some who would prefer to call them Commentatorballs but I will give credit but credit is due - to the one and only David Coleman. Here are some of his more famous utterances....

"That's the fastest time ever run - but it's not as fast as the world record."

"Don't tell those coming in the final result of that fantastic match, but let's just have another look at Italy's winning goal."

"He's 31 this year - last year he was 30."

"He just can't believe what's not happening to him."

"In a moment we hope to see the pole vault over the satellite."

"He is accelerating all the time. The last lap was run in 64 seconds and the one before that in 62."

"For those of you watching who do not have television sets, live commentary is on Radio 2."

"The late start is due to the time."

"It's gold or nothing...and it's nothing. He comes away with the silver medal."

"There is Brendan Foster, by himself with 20,000 people."

"Forest have now lost six matches without winning."

"He's even smaller in real life than he is on the track."

"The front wheel crosses the finish line, closely followed by the back wheel."

"And here's Moses Kiptanui - the 19-year-old Kenyan who turned 20 a few weeks ago."

"This could be a repeat of what will happen in the European games next week."

"That's the fastest time ever run, but it's not as fast as the world record."

"If that had gone in, it would have been a goal."

"This evening is a very different evening from the morning we had this morning."

"He's seven seconds ahead and that's a good question."

"I think there is no doubt, she'll probably qualify for the final."

"I have the feeling she (Manuela Machado) is an athlete who likes to get away from the opposition."

"Nobody has ever won the title twice before. He (Roger Black) has already done that."

"He's got his hands on his knees and holds his head in despair."

"Both of the Villa scorers - Withe and Mortimer - were born in Liverpool as was the Villa manager Ron Saunders who was born in Birkenhead."

"He is accelerating all the time. The last lap was run in 64 seconds and the one before in 62."
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    Absolute legend

Athlete turned BBC broadcaster Steve Cram said Coleman had been a big influence on his career.

"When I first came into the British team as a youngster, I would watch back my races and I could tell from his commentaries that he knew what he was talking about," he said.

"When I met him at major championships, such as the Olympics in Moscow in 1980, he would say things that turned out to be incredible helpful, such as advice on travel and how to deal with the media.

"He had a reputation within broadcasting for being tough and demanding, but I always found him an incredibly generous bloke. Yes, he had high standards but I think that came from his athletics background.
  • Options
    "As he came off the bend, he opened his legs and showed his class..."
  • Options
    A notoriously difficult man to work with.

R.I.P
  • Options

"As he came off the bend, he opened his legs and showed his class..."

I thought it was reported he said "As she came round the bend she opened her legs and showed everyone what she could do"

• Options
    One by one I seem to be losing all the voices from my childhood.

RIP
  • Options
    Absolute legend of a man and great commentator. RIP.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    RIP
  • Options
    At the running track: "And as the bell goes, there's a ding-dong battle for the lead..."
  • Options
    One - Nil

Keegan Two, Heighway One, Liverpool Three Newcastle None

Legend. RIP
  • Options
    RIP.
  • Options
    The sports voice of my childhood. RIP.
  • Options
    remember Sportsnight with Coleman - RIP - legend
  • Options
    'What a save…!' - captured the moment perfectly.
    1-0…! - particularly when used in the Cup final. A personal favourite, just for intonation he used. Brilliant.

So many happy times in my childhood and youth were spent listening to David Coleman.
    RIP.
  • Options
    He was even a voice of the childhood of an old codger like me!

My late father used to get irritated by some of his howlers but he was an institution to lovers of sport for so many years and part of the living room furniture almost.

RIP David.
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    As well as athletics ,Sportsnight and Question of Sport I associate DC with and a voice from more innocent times to us old fogeys

RIP
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    RIP David Coleman
  • Options
    great man RIP david c
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    One of the best. I loved long distance running with him when the first athlete made a break "And he's gone, but has he gone too soon?"
  • Options
    Legend. RIP David Coleman
  • Options
    He had a "quite remarkable" life.

RIP
  • Options
    Very good tribute on MOTD last night.
  • Options
    Good tribute this morning on R5L....RIP.
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    Porterfield 1-0

Juantorena opens his legs and shows his class!

Two favourites of mine

A BBC legend RIP

• Options
    Legendary Broadcaster RIP
  • Options
    He kept his commentary simple and to the point unlike Clive Tyldesley et al.