Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

David Coleman RIP

2»

Comments

• Options
    'And Juantorena opens his legs and shows his glory' .. a BBC legend .. they don't make em like this anymore .. RIP
  • Options
    Sportsnight with Coleman, 9.25pm on Wednesdays. I remember a preview once where he begged parents to allow their kids to stay up and watch a memorable goal.
    I still remember the game, the score and the scorers. Charlton for Man Utd, Hollins for Chelsea and then George Best, running through, taking the piss out of Chopper Harris who tried to cut him in half, to score the winner.
    Jumpers for goalposts.
    http://www.bbcmotiongallery.com/gallery/clip/1B27489_0003.do
  • Options
    100% respect for one of the broadcasting greats...

Well, 99% respect. I recall vividly the famous "1-0" coming out during a West Ham game (a UEFA cup game i think). Only trouble was, the goal made it 2-1. Sometimes you can overdo those catchphrases... (he had to do a voiceover edit for subsequent clips).

But also, he was someone firmly focussed on the blue riband events and top stars only (which given his standing, he was perfectly entitled to do). Which meant that he cared not one jot about Charlton Athletic FC, or clubs like us, or underdogs generally. Though nowhere near as moronic as Alan Green, both seemed to have/had that tendency to believe that big clubs like Leeds somehow 'deserve' to be in the top division. A degree of arrogance that it was hard to warm to
  • Options

A notoriously difficult man to work with.

R.I.P

The Telegraph published a fascinating obit for Coleman that includes aspects of his character overlooked elsewhere. You can read it online.