Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Charlton v. Sheffield Wednesday post match views 2013

Comments

• Won't judge Powell for the starting line-up, as that's basically hindsight talking. Wilson was left on his own on the right hand side a lot.

But don't understand why when the midfield is clearly lacking in structure, he'd make it far worse by bringing on Dervite and moving even more players out of position.
  • Tough game for both sides on a tough surface. It looked the intensity of the festive fixtures was taking it's toll on both sdies. Still unbeaten over Christmas so far aint too bad.
  • Op, we had another chance from church which Kirkland saved but was given as goal kick, but I get your point
  • Wasnt hughes on the bench? If hes going to play a CB over him as a CDM surely he might aswell not have been on the bench and just chucked poyet on there for some experience
  • Won't judge Powell for the starting line-up, as that's basically hindsight talking.

I don't think it is. The team was already going to be unsettled by losing Solly and Wiggins, why did Powell multiply the issue by breaking up the Stephens/Cousins partnership? I'd have even started Green before doing that. Jackson hasn't done enough so far this season to warrant being thrown back in at the first opportunity and so Powell's eagerness to play Dale in the wide positions, even from the start, is baffling.
  • edited December 2013

I really didn't think it was that bad, given the removal of the two full backs who were so instrumental in out win over Brighton. Poor Ceddy was a rabbit in headlights. Church isn't a great finisher but his running gives us an outlet when we are under pressure. Sordell would never have got himself in the position to snatch at that chance since it came from Church's hard work. Wood is a quiet class act. Yann was a bit subdued, compared to Thursday, but exactly, Thursday! When I heard Emma saying Solly and wiggins were out I feared the worst. If you'd offered me 5 points from those last 3 games I'd have bitten your arm off.

As for the pitch, it's all been said. Bloody disgrace.

In my opinion having watched Sordell this is rubbish he may not run around headless but he gets into positions and makes himself available. Church did nothing today positive. I would have taken 4 points from these two games, although it was more important to get them the other way round.

Still one result, it confirmed I won't be at the Valley for the cup next week.
  • Cards on the table. I'm a huge supporter of CP (and hope he gets a new contract if the takeover takes place). But today he utterly and completely ****ed up and I am completely baffled by what he was thinking.

Why on earth split up the Stephens/Cousins partnership and play Stephens on the right where he was completely wasted. And to do it to accommodate JJ - another great favourite of mine but one who sadly now just looks like he is treading water when running - was absurd.

It was obvious after only about 10 minutes this new system was not working. By half-time the only person in the ground who could not see that must have been CP. I couldn't believe the same 11 players came out at the start of the second half. And when he finally changed it after 70 mins the substitutions had me scratching my head in disbelief.

And finally, if anybody ever comes on here again and says Danny Green is the answer to our problems then I am going to break the rule I always adopt in posting of never being rude to a fellow CAFC fan (no matter how much I may disagree with him/her). The guy is a complete and utter waste of time and space. He offers no support to the full backs, he constantly dives in giving away stupid free kicks, his corners are some of the worst I have ever seen etc. He is just completely out of his depth at this level. If he ever wears a CAFC shirt again, then CP is really not the manager I think he is.
  • Sordell would of been in that position as would of been on the shoulder just like church is. Church gets away with so much for looking busy

• Don't think Evina was as bad as all that. I thought the mistake for the Wednesday goal, he wouldn't make when playing on a regular basis and with building an understanding with the centre back. He made a decent run in the second half. The wing midfielders in front of the full backs were more serious.
  • edited December 2013
    @vff
    Good summary. Poor pitch, line up and subs. Happy with a point and to still be 19th having played so poorly. Thought Wickham was the best player on the pitch and the Dervite substitution completely backfired.

Without further investment are there 3 worse teams than us? Possibly, but only just.
  • Sponsored links:

• Sayer's, VFF, it was the use of the word fuming, I would of thought he could of seethed too. The quality of outrage is shocking in today's supporters. Personally I lay the blame at the door of everybody connected with the club ever.
  • WSS said:

I was being sincere.

I do apologise @wss feel a bit silly now thought you was having a pop at Green.
  • Also booing at the final whistle after a draw? What is that all about? It was short and sweet but definitely audible.
  • Wood is along with Cousins and Stephens a bright spot in what is another shite season.

Like the last two?
  • Strange performance after Boxing Days high. To me Jackson should of been on the bench, his legs look completely gone. Solly's knee a real concern. Danny Green has ability but either gives you an occasional 8/10 performance or a consistent 4/10. Not good enough

Best team for second half of season presuming money is not spent ?

Hamer - distribution better than Alnwick

Solly - knee depending
    Morrison - solid
    Wood - solid
    Wiggins - miles ahead of Evina

Wilson - more consistent than other RM
    Cousins - future captain
    Stephens - solid
    Harriot - far more about him than Stewart

Kerm - best ball winner in the championship
    Church - but I hate to say it, if he stays give Sordell a run of games
  • I imagine the boos were for an inept display where the away team was on top for most of the game and we sat back and invited pressure on for the last half an hour.... Just a guess
  • @operationpig Don't get excited by getting a point today. Make no mistake Wednesday are truly awful and will be at the bottom end all the way. Think we were worse than you today but can be better. Don't think you can be.

Shooters, normally you're a reasonable poster and you do tend to post balanced views but come off it man, how can you say I should be excited about getting a point at yours when you and I both know it should've been three, some of the lads are saying the worse side we've played this season are yourselves so how does that stack up on the grand scheme of things?

If Wednesday were truly awful how come we managed to get 21 shots to your 11 and had the lion share of possession played on a pitch that quite frankly wasn't fit for purpose, a light shower of rain and the game would've been abandoned, my point is, how can you expect to see a decent game of football on a pitch like that?

• Nicholas said:

WSS said:

I was being sincere.

I do apologise @wss feel a bit silly now thought you was having a pop at Green.
    A pop at Danny Green? I'd help him on his way with both barrels from a sawn off shotgun.

One of the most-overrated, under achieving, waste of space I have ever seen in over 40 years of supporting this club.
  • Worst first half I can ever remember.

The only positive is that a team below us didn't collect all 3 points when they deserved it.

Will post properly tomorrow.
  • Also booing at the final whistle after a draw? What is that all about? It was short and sweet but definitely audible.

Have to say, for once, I heard nothing from behind me in the East, altho' it's usually very brief.

I guessed that Wiggy's absence was to do with his partner's EDC and assumed that Solly had been rested. However, I think I'd rather the latter took place at Portman Rd as there was more likely to be 3 points on offer today than next Wednesday. As others have said, our threadbare squad was exposed today.

If this takeover is going to happen, please let it be soon!

Tomorrow would do nicely....

• Sponsored links:

• From what I've seen Alnwick is a better keeper than Hamer
  • a quick whinge ... Wiggins is well paid to play pro football .. his team is struggling and needs points, especially against fellow strugglers .. he goes on paternity leave thus weakening the team .. this is out of order .. are soldiers and sailors flown home to wifey when she is expecting/just given birth .. yes we all love our children and partners/wives but in certain circumstances work comes first .. Wiggins would have been away from home only for a few hours .. I am presuming his family home is in London .. I will say again, Wiggins going absent with or without permission is totally wrong.
    I did not see the game .. seems like I did not miss much

Soldiers and sailors jobs can sometimes be about life and death - paramedics etc certainly are. Being blunt, football is completely irrelevant and unimportant when it comes to family imo.
    Disagree. If we get relegated it can mean many people losing their jobs, it could ultimately determine whether the whole club survives or not. That affects very many families and thousands of fans. If it was a difficult birth, or complications of any kind, then fine, no problem.

• From what I've seen Alnwick is a better keeper than Hamer

he must have kicked it off the pitch 6 or 7 times. Some of them it looked like he was actually aiming for it.
  • @operationpig Don't get excited by getting a point today. Make no mistake Wednesday are truly awful and will be at the bottom end all the way. Think we were worse than you today but can be better. Don't think you can be.

Shooters, normally you're a reasonable poster and you do tend to post balanced views but come off it man, how can you say I should be excited about getting a point at yours when you and I both know it should've been three, some of the lads are saying the worse side we've played this season are yourselves so how does that stack up on the grand scheme of things?

If Wednesday were truly awful how come we managed to get 21 shots to your 11 and had the lion share of possession played on a pitch that quite frankly wasn't fit for purpose, a light shower of rain and the game would've been abandoned, my point is, how can you expect to see a decent game of football on a pitch like that?

Think about your post. You are near bottom below us for a reason. We were very poor today and got a bit lucky to be playing such a poor side as Wednesday. Most other teams in the division would have on today's display torn us a new one. I know we can play better and our position relative to yours suggests that we have. I doubt there are many teams worse than us in the division but I think you over the course of the season will be one of them. You have so far. Add Donny, Barnsley and Yeovil and I make us just about safe if we get a bit of luck. You lot are in slightly greater danger of relegation than us. Only just mind.

• edited December 2013

@operationpig Don't get excited by getting a point today. Make no mistake Wednesday are truly awful and will be at the bottom end all the way. Think we were worse than you today but can be better. Don't think you can be.

Don't underestimate the influence of Solly and Wiggins on our team. I have no doubt that if you'd played the same team Brighton played on Boxing Day, we'd have had enough to beat you and pretty comfortably. Our squad is painfully thin.

Powell messed up today and we can definite play better than what you saw (or didn't..). Wednesday? I'm not so sure.
  • a quick whinge ... Wiggins is well paid to play pro football .. his team is struggling and needs points, especially against fellow strugglers .. he goes on paternity leave thus weakening the team .. this is out of order .. are soldiers and sailors flown home to wifey when she is expecting/just given birth .. yes we all love our children and partners/wives but in certain circumstances work comes first .. Wiggins would have been away from home only for a few hours .. I am presuming his family home is in London .. I will say again, Wiggins going absent with or without permission is totally wrong.
    I did not see the game .. seems like I did not miss much

Soldiers and sailors jobs can sometimes be about life and death - paramedics etc certainly are. Being blunt, football is completely irrelevant and unimportant when it comes to family imo.
    Disagree. If we get relegated it can mean many people losing their jobs, it could ultimately determine whether the whole club survives or not. That affects very many families and thousands of fans. If it was a difficult birth, or complications of any kind, then fine, no problem.

Good point, q_a. Let's hope baby Wiggins has arrived safe & sound.

BTW , thanks for coming to say hello & chat In Barts before the game. It was good to see you again & sorry you weren't able to witness a better performance this afternoon.

Don't underestimate the influence of Solly and Wiggins on our team. I have no doubt that if you'd played the same team Brighton played on Boxing Day, we'd have had enough to beat you and pretty comfortably. Our squad is painfully thin.

Powell messed up today and we can definite play better than what you saw (or didn't..). Wednesday? I'm not so sure.
    Wednesday are missing some key players too, we've been missing Gardner for most of the season, and he's a massive miss, our defense has been shocking this season as you saw today.

No I didn't go but was listening in.

• Worst performance of our season and we still nicked a point. Cheers.

It runs the Millwall game close but not quite.