Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Charlton v. Sheffield Wednesday post match views 2013

14567810»

Comments

• They flooded the midfield and played a game that usually results in a home defeat. .

So it was Sheffield Wednesday who flooded the pitch, was it? Cheating *******s - done purely I assume to stop our free flowing football.

Security staff need to be more awake next time to stop future opponents flooding the midfield.

• LOL - I read in Brian Clough's autobiography that he went to the City ground in his pyjamas, got the hose out and flooded the pitch to the very limits of playabilty - he was worried he had goe too far - prior to a european game against Hamburg.
  • Curious that when the line-up obviously wasn't working, CP didn't try JJ on left at least for 5 or 10 minutes.
  • Curious that when the line-up obviously wasn't working, CP didn't try JJ on left at least for 5 or 10 minutes.

We weren't losing

• A game where a win would have been very welcome but more important a game we must not lose.
    A terrible first half which both sides looked poor and only some nice touches from Yann to warm us. We scored early in the second half from our best move of the game but never really looked like scoring a second. How many of us really expected Church to fire home when he had a chance late in the game. Church is a very willing chaser of the ball and being a nuisance to defenders but in reality offers little else. At the time C.P. made his substitutions we were under pressure and the Wendys looked like scoring a winner. Dervite made a difference when he came on and we appeared stronger in the middle. Steward spent much of the game watching long balls punted up the middle to Yann who in the first half won most headers (as usual) but unfortunately Church was in the wrong place or moving in the wrong direction to take advantage. Evina looked like a player who has only played in a handful of first team games in the last 3 seasons and needs a run to realise his full potential. Jackson looked slow and out of touch and deserved the criticism on the above posts, but all will be soon forgotten and forgiven when he scores a winner for us.
    We very obviously missed Wiggins and Solly but Stephens goal was class and Cousins continues to impress. A welcome point that keeps the gap between us and Sheffield's second team.
    We need new investment on the field and those who try to perform on it.
    Roll on the takeover (and soon).

We weren't losing

As a manager you don't need to go a goal down before changing things
  • shame no wiggins or solly ..it did affect our defensive confidence and our ability to make an impression on the flanks ...i definitely wouldnt have broken up the stevens /cousins axis ..are pritchard and harriot injured? or have they just been put in the Naughty corner ? as i think they both could have done a job for us yesterday .

As everyone has confirmed pitch was awful and the clubs ownership should feel embarassed .Good to see the feedback from the opposition ...i cant disagree with em but we will never know if it was the pitch that made it such a poor game or the 2 sides

id say it was a point won rather than 2 lost
  • Firstly the pitch is an absolute disgrace I took a couple of mates and they couldn't believe how bad it was in fact I am beginging to wonder how we are going to complete a season on it. The result was it was not possible to play decent football and so the Wendies more direct approach was more effective, Wickham was a handfull all afternoon.

Evina was exposed time and again and demonstrated the gulf between him and Wiggins. Solly was badly missed and as a result we lost Wilsons threat down the right side. Church is all effort but little result and the substitutions were again useless making things worse.

But my main complaint is how deep we defended after we scored you just cannot play on your own 18yd line and not conceed....madness. In the end I felt we nicked a point which is OK I suppose but it was yet another disappointing afternoon at the Valley.
  • If this takeover does happen can we please buy someone who can take a bloody corner.Danny green cant even beat the first man every time he takes one takes lessons from Jackson.
  • Sponsored links:

• Tutt-Tutt I'm glad you could see that Stewart needed to have a go on their left back, as I always think your tactical reviews are spot on.

I know myself and the average fan don't have the experience or managerial knowledge of CP but sometimes I watch professional football and wonder wtf goes through some managers heads and what they are actually watching!
  • I think maybe Powell could learn from Curbishley and at least watch the first part of the game from the stand. His coaches can do all the bellowing from the dug-out while he takes a proper look at what's going on.

If Sheff Wed lined up 4-3-3, why or why did we alter our formation just to suit that? We're at home and nobody can tell me we haven't got players of at least equal ability to them. Christ, we saw enough games where Semedo (as half-decent as we was..) got the run around in Div One, let alone up against players in a bit of form like Stephens and Cousins!
  • Simonsen said:

I think maybe Powell could learn from Curbishley and at least watch the first part of the game from the stand. His coaches can do all the bellowing from the dug-out while he takes a proper look at what's going on.

If Sheff Wed lined up 4-3-3, why or why did we alter our formation just to suit that? We're at home and nobody can tell me we haven't got players of at least equal ability to them. Christ, we saw enough games where Semedo (as half-decent as we was..) got the run around in Div One, let alone up against players in a bit of form like Stephens and Cousins!

The manager's staff wouldn't need to do any bellowing as he just stands there motionless other than when the ref makes a poor decision!
  • Kap10 said:

My guess - and it is a guess - is that the playing management didn't want Sordell in the first place. It's the same pattern we saw with Leon Clarke, albeit over a longer period, and with Alonso.

That said, in all the circumstances his limited playing time is still surprising and must be based on something we can't see. On the other hand, it's clear why Danny Green isn't trusted to start.

One point to be made with Evina is that we've seen before he doesn't perform at his best when slotted in. When he had a run of games he looked the part. That's a failing maybe of his relative youth but may be overcome.

The club should perhaps have allowed the game to be called off rather than drained the pitch, but for both football and maybe financial reasons will have wanted it played.

I don't defend the tactics / formation but it was so important not to lose the game and we didn't. CP is a son of cautious Curbs, after all, and what he really needs is better players. The pitch and the team are two sides of the same coin, but who takes responsibility? Prothero is away skiing.

Nice piece until the dig at Prothero. The only question is why Green is even trusted on the bench, threadbare squad and decline of Harriot I suppose

The point is that no one takes responsibility within the club - and that's why the pitch is beyond unacceptable.
    Having attended way too many supporter branch meetings and meetings with club personnel I think you will find that it is Steve Bradshaw (Chief Operating Officer) who is responsible for the pitch, smoking, stewarding and all things to do with the club assets like the Valley and training ground. Not a dig - just that I think fans should know to whom they should direct questions. If you search for the thread on the Bromley meeting you may find some answers to some questions?

• JonnyK said:

Simonsen said:

I think maybe Powell could learn from Curbishley and at least watch the first part of the game from the stand. His coaches can do all the bellowing from the dug-out while he takes a proper look at what's going on.

The manager's staff wouldn't need to do any bellowing as he just stands there motionless other than when the ref makes a poor decision!
    JK- why do you always have to reduce sensible posts /thread to reflect your own thoughts on our manager ?

I don't make a habit of digging out Lifers - I have too much respect for them as fellow Addicks - but you are seriously getting on my t*ts !

I know it's all about opinions but snide remarks of this ilk aren't particularly endearing, young man.

I'm guessing if Sir Alex F came out of retirement to take over in SE7, he wouldn't be good enough for you....

• If we get a draw at Ipswich and a win at home to Barnsley - it will be viewed as a very good point.
  • If we get a draw at Ipswich and a win at home to Barnsley - it will be viewed as a very good point.

I think generally the 4 out of 6 over Christmas is seen as good, I just think the performance and managerial decisions have baffled us.
  • edited December 2013
    I can't say I wasn't puzzled on Sunday. Cousins and Stephens have forged an effective and very promising partnership and JJ could easily have played on the left and Stewart on the right. Then not playing Sordell (no matter how bad he has been) when clearly a player with his attributes would have been an advantage in that match - and taking off a midfielder for a centre half and still not playing Stephens in the middle! But there are things Chrissy will have known I am sure, that we don't.

Playing Stephens out of position when Palace scouts were reportedly watching him may have been a masterstroke.
  • Sunderland striker @ConnorWickham10 has extended his youth loan deal at @swfc for a further 28 days.

Looks like Wickham is staying at theirs over the transfer window.
  • It wasn't the prettiest of performances but we still ground a point out even if there was a bit of panic and even though it was at home. Ok we haven't pulled away from the bottom 3 but they didn't catch up with us.

I think it's unfair to say we lacked effort. We just lacked quality.

Having said this, I believe when we have struggled particulaly this season is when teams have come to our placewith a more defensive mindset and played better with a more attacking team. For example the re-scheduled Doncaster game we were able to play. Then against Ipswich after we were not quite able to ride the storm and they went defensive that is where we struggled. We did well against Brighton. But when Sheff Weds came down they had a defensive more direct style and that is where we struggled. Okay we managed to get a point against Weds.

"Hopefully", in January we can get one or two players who have that extra quality to unlock that type of play when visiting teams have that more defensive direct mindset. That is with no dis-respect to what we already have. I firmly believe they are an honest bunch of lads that want to do well. But yes we do need extra quality in the side. I also feel with extra quality players in the side SCP's tactical changes would not look so baffling because he has better quality to choose from. He an only pick from what he has got at the moment.
  • Sponsored links:

• edited December 2013

Kap10 said:

My guess - and it is a guess - is that the playing management didn't want Sordell in the first place. It's the same pattern we saw with Leon Clarke, albeit over a longer period, and with Alonso.

That said, in all the circumstances his limited playing time is still surprising and must be based on something we can't see. On the other hand, it's clear why Danny Green isn't trusted to start.

One point to be made with Evina is that we've seen before he doesn't perform at his best when slotted in. When he had a run of games he looked the part. That's a failing maybe of his relative youth but may be overcome.

The club should perhaps have allowed the game to be called off rather than drained the pitch, but for both football and maybe financial reasons will have wanted it played.

I don't defend the tactics / formation but it was so important not to lose the game and we didn't. CP is a son of cautious Curbs, after all, and what he really needs is better players. The pitch and the team are two sides of the same coin, but who takes responsibility? Prothero is away skiing.

Nice piece until the dig at Prothero. The only question is why Green is even trusted on the bench, threadbare squad and decline of Harriot I suppose

The point is that no one takes responsibility within the club - and that's why the pitch is beyond unacceptable.
    Having attended way too many supporter branch meetings and meetings with club personnel I think you will find that it is Steve Bradshaw (Chief Operating Officer) who is responsible for the pitch, smoking, stewarding and all things to do with the club assets like the Valley and training ground. Not a dig - just that I think fans should know to whom they should direct questions. If you search for the thread on the Bromley meeting you may find some answers to some questions?

Yes, I'm well aware of what Bradshaw should be doing. And Prothero is his boss and paid two and a half times as much to work part time. And therefore he should hold Bradshaw to account. But what is happening in practice?