Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Charlton v. Sheffield Wednesday post match views 2013

Comments

• Just read through this thread. Take out the stuff from Operation Pig and there is a remarkable degree of consensus amongst us addicks about today's match, which is quite unusual. The performance must really have been just as shitty as we all felt to have received such a massive thumbs down.
  • Most of the teams below us lost, except the two who played each other and drew, which was an ideal result. We drew, which kept another team below us exactly where they were at the start of the day. Today was a good day. Judging by this thread you'd think we'd lost 30-0 and Rhoys Wiggins mugged someone's granny. Hopefully this Belgian fella will sign Messi and Ronaldo, otherwise I fear some on here will burst a blood vessel
  • not losing was the most important thing today and other results down there were okay for us. The bottom 6 all look poor.
  • Mike said:

not losing was the most important thing today and other results down there were perfect for us. The bottom 6 all look poor.

Agree
  • Rant and rave all you want simple fact is we were absolutely hopeless. Manager has to shoulder some of the blame as he picked that midfield.

Things aren't going to improve unless we are taken over.

God help us if we are banking on Church for the rest of the season. Same as he has been for weeks....useless, zero goal threat, zero anything really his continued place in the starting 11 is baffling.

Don't get me started on Danny Green.

Horrible 90 mins. Painful to watch.
  • I think Yeovil and Barnsley will go down and then it's between us, yourselves, Millwall and Donny, perhaps someone above will get sucked into it.

Our game in hand will be crucial.
  • Church is not useless.

His finishing is poor, yes. But he causes no end of problems for the defence with his running, and his link-up play isn't bad either.

It's hardly baffling that he plays every week, given how little Sordell has shown so far.

• It's hardly baffling that he plays every week, given how little Sordell has shown so far.

If i remember rightly sordell changed the game when he came on against reading and hasnt bloody kicked a ball since!
  • I think Yeovil and Barnsley will go down and then it's between us, yourselves, Millwall and Donny, perhaps someone above will get sucked into it.

Doncaster look by far the worst I've seen out of that list.
  • Sponsored links:

• @Garrymanilow, disagree that today was a good day. A good day would have seen us win whilst playing well. We were sh*t.

Agree though that today wasn't a disaster. We played poorly and drew and didn't lose ground to our rivals. Could have been worse.

Looking at the moment like 3 from 6 to go down. If there's no takeover, it'll be touch and go as to whether there's 3 worse teams.
  • Church is not useless.

His finishing is poor, yes. But he causes no end of problems for the defence with his running, and his link-up play isn't bad either.

It's hardly baffling that he plays every week, given how little Sordell has shown so far.

Sorry mate but I think a lot of people agree that he is useless and his running all day just isn't enough. Sordell has more ability than Church and I just cannot understand why he hasn't been given a chance.
  • Posting without reading. Can't believe CP messed with midfield to accommodate Jackson. Stephens was wasted wide right and missed in the middle with Cousins. Although far from ideal I'd have preferred Jacko wide left with Stewart on the right. The only other option was to start Green on the right but once again he showed why that didn't happen when he came on. We were woeful throughout and with a draw got more than we actually deserved on the day. Bringing on Dervite as another defensive midfielder/extra ch made us drop far too deep, invited them on and made the final 15 minutes a backs to the wall, let's settle for a point performance. Although hamstrung by a lack of squad depth, Wiggy and Solly being out etc CP still got things fundamentally wrong in my opinion.
  • Church is not useless.

Can I have some of what you're smoking.
  • I think a lot of people agree he isn't useless. We'll have to agree to disagree.

If Sordell gets a start and plays well then fair enough, but in the games he's started so far he hasn't impressed.
  • I really didn't think it was that bad, given the removal of the two full backs who were so instrumental in out win over Brighton. Poor Ceddy was a rabbit in headlights. Church isn't a great finisher but his running gives us an outlet when we are under pressure. Sordell would never have got himself in the position to snatch at that chance since it came from Church's hard work. Wood is a quiet class act. Yann was a bit subdued, compared to Thursday, but exactly, Thursday! When I heard Emma saying Solly and wiggins were out I feared the worst. If you'd offered me 5 points from those last 3 games I'd have bitten your arm off.

As for the pitch, it's all been said. Bloody disgrace.

PA, any chance we can meet up before the next game so you can give me some of what you are taking please? If you really didn't think it was that bad I want to live in the same world as you because it must be a really happy place!

I'll let you know when I'm next over, and for sure we can meet up.

Then you can tell me whether you were there for the 1-6 against Leeds, the 0-3 against effing Southend when even the legend Steve Brown was shite, or perhaps you can just tell me why this performance was worse than that against the Spanners this season, or numerous other games against them. Those are what I call shite performances

The facts are: 1 : we drew. 2: their goal, as we now can see, was blatantly offside.

• As far as I can recall Church had one 'chance' and it was hardly a one on one with just the keeper to beat though was it? Yes he should have done better but at least he shot. Yann in the same position wouldn't have done. A few times today Yann had the ball running at their defence. Twenty odd yards out and what does he do? Pass it. Why does he never have a shot? The strange thing is if it was a free kick in the same position he'd take it and probably score. But in open play he declines to shoot. So before you castigate Church too much have a ponder on that.
  • Simon Church has started 19 league games this season.
    Sordell has started 6 league games this season, only 2 of which were with Yann (in August). His other starts were with Church, a combination that doesn't work well.

Maybe, just maybe, he hasn't been given a proper chance to settle in. Bearing in mind that Church runs around a lot, resting him today and playing a fresh Sordell might have been a god idea, the ideal chance to motivate Sordell, as if Bolton don't want him back, we'll be paying his wages until May.
  • I think a lot of people agree he isn't useless. We'll have to agree to disagree.

If Sordell gets a start and plays well then fair enough, but in the games he's started so far he hasn't impressed.

I think a lot of people agree he isn't useless. We'll have to agree to disagree.

Church is useless he is definately up there with the worst forwards we have had, he is a forward and forwards are supposed to score goals ,church doesnt score goals he just runs around with his head up his arse, and when he gets an opportunity he totally makes a mess of it my 6 year son is a better finisher, we need another striker from somewhere there has got to be someone better ,ok he works hard but it aint gonna be enough im afraid we need a forward with goalscoring instinct.
  • Does anyone think that there is a clause that we have to pay his wages if he plays a certain number of games or even some sort of fee per match? Its just baffling how he doesnt get a chance
  • Sponsored links:

• Usual posting without reading.

Missed the game (don't ask but women, factual rather than sexist comment is why) so cannot comment on the actual football today.

However on 23 December I venture to suggest that virtually all of us on this forum would have taken 4 points out of 6.
  • 100% support for SCP from me because I know what the dude is having to make do with. If our Belgian friend was watching today I doubt he would be very impressed with Chris's team, tactics or substitutions today. ...

Maybe Chris was trying to show us at our worse in order to strengthen his hand later. How is Duchatelet (or whoever) going to know any different at the present time, unless they come on here for the inside track?!
  • a quick whinge ... Wiggins is well paid to play pro football .. his team is struggling and needs points, especially against fellow strugglers .. he goes on paternity leave thus weakening the team .. this is out of order .. are soldiers and sailors flown home to wifey when she is expecting/just given birth .. yes we all love our children and partners/wives but in certain circumstances work comes first .. Wiggins would have been away from home only for a few hours .. I am presuming his family home is in London .. I will say again, Wiggins going absent with or without permission is totally wrong.
    I did not see the game .. seems like I did not miss much

Combat abroad is a difficult situation but I will not condemn any man, whatever his salary, for choosing to be with his wife when his child is born.

I thought that Billy Wilberforce bloke got slavery abolished...

I think OP is correct in his analysis, but remember your game in hand is against Wigan who I think will improve now the Europa Cup nonsense is behind them.

For us I think it is crucial we stay above the Spanners and the fact we have nosed in front of them and Donny this Xmas is encouraging. I can see someone 'doing a Wolves' I just can't work out who it will be yet.

• I don't get why people slag off Sordell when he hasn't been given a chance. Everyone has put up with Church cos of his work rate, but he doesn't score goals. Sordell is a completely different striker, who won't run around as much as Church but will look to get in and around the box and threat the opposition goal.
  • Their goal was blatantly offside. Thought it at the time and have just seen it again and am now sure.

Other than that, I'm not sure how the Wendy's manager thought they "dominated throughout". Nothing happened in the first half, nothing at all, so if that's them dominating then I think he needs help.

Terrible game with a makeshift team on a difficult pitch. One of those games you're just glad not to lose. A point is a point, so I'll happily take it.
  • There are several complicated interpritations of the off-side law if what is and what not off-side. It would be nice to get some sort of explination of how that was interprated on-side. Such a grey area.
  • First and foremost, glad we didn't lose. Thought Stephens was class, the best player on the pitch. I have been critical of him in the past - particularly last season - but I'm confident with Cousins and Stephens in the middle. At least one of the two normally puts in a very good performance.

We could have nicked it at the end. Church had a great chance and the ball fell kindly for Kirkland at the death when it might otherwise have landed in Kermo's path. A draw probably fair.

Pitch the worst I've seen it I think.

Confident we can get something at Ipswich. Was far from impressed with them when they came down to our place. Christ knows how they're in the play-offs.
  • Some of the football on show today from both teams was utter garbage and although the pitch is substandard you would expect second tier players to cope better with the conditions. They were slightly less awful than us but the mudbath suits their style of play. They brought on a big lump after our goal and humped it forward. Worst game of the season in terms of quality.
  • edited December 2013