Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton v. Sheffield Wednesday post match views 2013

Comments

• Options

Didn't think Wednesday were any better than us and a draw was fair.

We dominated the game from start to finish, we gifted you the goal, then you had one chance at the end - that was it, not here to be a wum either but after that I'm gutted, but having said that i'd of taken a point before it kicked off.
    Hmm, did you dominate though? To be fair, you were horseshit. Just like us. Zero incision whatsoever in Wednesday's team and today was no different. I'm not saying we were any better - we weren't - but a point was definitely fair; especially as your goal was dubious.
  • Options
    For the benefit of operation pig the table doesn't lie 3 wins all season and Wednesday were never going to win this one.
    On another day a one goal win for us would have lifted us away and buried Wednesday in a three from four relegation battle.
    Look at the positives for CAFC: unbeaten for a few; Wiggins and Solly (& Kermorgant) back to their best for next few games; known weaknesses which new owners (or existing?!) can address in January; we are NOT going down :)
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    My guess - and it is a guess - is that the playing management didn't want Sordell in the first place. It's the same pattern we saw with Leon Clarke, albeit over a longer period, and with Alonso.

That said, in all the circumstances his limited playing time is still surprising and must be based on something we can't see. On the other hand, it's clear why Danny Green isn't trusted to start.

One point to be made with Evina is that we've seen before he doesn't perform at his best when slotted in. When he had a run of games he looked the part. That's a failing maybe of his relative youth but may be overcome.

The club should perhaps have allowed the game to be called off rather than drained the pitch, but for both football and maybe financial reasons will have wanted it played.

I don't defend the tactics / formation but it was so important not to lose the game and we didn't. CP is a son of cautious Curbs, after all, and what he really needs is better players. The pitch and the team are two sides of the same coin, but who takes responsibility? Prothero is away skiing.
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    I think injuries forced his hand a bit although he could have played JJ on the left. I wasn't expecting a classic because I think this was a game that would have been a disaster for us to lose - and them too to a certain extent. Powell is a cautious manager who sees the bigger picture - that is an observation, not a criticism btw. Frustrating to watch, but stopping them scoring was priority no.1and then see if something came our way. After we went one up through some woeful marking on their part, we had an opportunity as they pressed and left themselves open. At that time, we really needed some pace. In theory, we were crying out for the introduction of a player like Sordell but Chrissy sees him in training and clearly doesn't trust him. If he isn't going to play him when his attributes were needed, I cant see how he ever will.
  • Options

Very annoyed:

How's the Lino not given that?!!!!!
    maybe because it got a touch off our player ???
    Do you actually know ANYTHING about football?
  • Options
    It does amaze me when at a game, the amount of people shouting he can't be offside because it touched another player on the way through.
  • Options

Our game in hand will be crucial.

Only if you win it.

• Options
    What I don't understand this is the one game over the holiday period we should have been targeting 3 points, so why set the team out in such a disjointed formation.
    Can understand Wiggins absence but surely you play Solley at rb and Wilson at rm especially after the Brighton game fitness permitting.
    The spine of a side is always critical so with the central midfield not performing first half moving Stevens back to cm would have strengthened things up, and moving Jackson to lm would provided better protection to Evina who rarely got beyond midfield into crossing positions.
    Yes you have to play with the cards you are delt, but you can shuffle the pack mid game.
  • Options
    Arrived a couple of minutes late, thank god. if I had know that Wiggins and Solly weren't playing I may have gone straight home.
    First half was the worst half of football this season and the competition has been quite high it that particular contest.
    Still has many have said already a point is a point, it could and may be should have been worst. CP has my support, but he really tested my love this afternoon. He seemed to settle for the point way before the end and then made substitutions designed to do what?
  • Options
    Posting without seeing straight. Can thoroughly recommend a six hour session around Greenwich's finest as a way of dealing with a game like that !

Such a turgid game on a cowfield on a Sunday winters afternoon, it was like going back 20 odd yrs and I expected Elton Welsby to be in the studio.

It felt from the off a bit after the Lord Mayors Show, and for various reasons never got going as a spectacle. Had we have pinched a 1-0 we would have been over the moon, and with a different lino we could well have done.

Like others, think in hindsight the midfield line up was wrong, but other than switching the four around, I don't know what other options we had.

The squad is not just looking painfully thin, its also containing a couple of players like Green who desperately need to be shipped out but presumabl
    y can't attract the same contract elsewhere.

The squad needs a bit of an overhaul. If a takeover isn't decided in the next couple of weeks, I fear we are in for a real scrap for the remainder of the season.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

What I don't understand this is the one game over the holiday period we should have been targeting 3 points, so why set the team out in such a disjointed formation.
    Can understand Wiggins absence but surely you play Solley at rb and Wilson at rm especially after the Brighton game fitness permitting.
    The spine of a side is always critical so with the central midfield not performing first half moving Stevens back to cm would have strengthened things up, and moving Jackson to lm would provided better protection to Evina who rarely got beyond midfield into crossing positions.
    Yes you have to play with the cards you are delt, but you can shuffle the pack mid game.

Solly apparently injured. Not recovered enough to play all the games in short space that we have at the moment.
  • Options

Arrived a couple of minutes late, thank god. if I had know that Wiggins and Solly weren't playing I may have gone straight home.
    First half was the worst half of football this season and the competition has been quite high it that particular contest.
    Still has many have said already a point is a point, it could and may be should have been worst. CP has my support, but he really tested my love this afternoon. He seemed to settle for the point way before the end and then made substitutions designed to do what?

Make sure of the point :-(
  • Options

My guess - and it is a guess - is that the playing management didn't want Sordell in the first place. It's the same pattern we saw with Leon Clarke, albeit over a longer period, and with Alonso.

That said, in all the circumstances his limited playing time is still surprising and must be based on something we can't see. On the other hand, it's clear why Danny Green isn't trusted to start.

One point to be made with Evina is that we've seen before he doesn't perform at his best when slotted in. When he had a run of games he looked the part. That's a failing maybe of his relative youth but may be overcome.

The club should perhaps have allowed the game to be called off rather than drained the pitch, but for both football and maybe financial reasons will have wanted it played.

I don't defend the tactics / formation but it was so important not to lose the game and we didn't. CP is a son of cautious Curbs, after all, and what he really needs is better players. The pitch and the team are two sides of the same coin, but who takes responsibility? Prothero is away skiing.

Nice piece until the dig at Prothero. The only question is why Green is even trusted on the bench, threadbare squad and decline of Harriot I suppose

• Options
    edited December 2013
    Hasn't Harriot been injured Kap10 ? I get your drift though.
  • Options

@operationpig Don't get excited by getting a point today. Make no mistake Wednesday are truly awful and will be at the bottom end all the way. Think we were worse than you today but can be better. Don't think you can be.

Shooters, normally you're a reasonable poster and you do tend to post balanced views but come off it man, how can you say I should be excited about getting a point at yours when you and I both know it should've been three, some of the lads are saying the worse side we've played this season are yourselves so how does that stack up on the grand scheme of things?

If Wednesday were truly awful how come we managed to get 21 shots to your 11 and had the lion share of possession played on a pitch that quite frankly wasn't fit for purpose, a light shower of rain and the game would've been abandoned, my point is, how can you expect to see a decent game of football on a pitch like that?

Thats rich coming from you op....had any games abandoned this year at all ?
  • Options
    Apart from Cousins the opposition won much more of the personal battles. Like us, they lacked firepower, otherwise we would have been buried.
  • Options
    Kap10 said:

Nice piece until the dig at Prothero. The only question is why Green is even trusted on the bench, threadbare squad and decline of Harriot I suppose

The point is that no one takes responsibility within the club - and that's why the pitch is beyond unacceptable.
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    They flooded the midfield and played a game that usually results in a home defeat. Largely because we do not have the attributes to break these sort of teams down. Chrissy wasn't playing today though and was happy with a point from the off amd we never went looking for that win. Being gifted a goal gave us a glimmer of hope, but we went more defensive rather than trying to exploit the gaps Wednesday provided.

It resulted in a dour game in which it would have been unfair had we snatched it at the end with Church's chance. I would like to see their goal again too - I was at the other end of the pitch but it looked like they had 2 players offside to me.

I was hoping Stewart would embaress me today, after recent comments I have made, because we needed something from him but unfortunately he just backed up what I have been saying! When the dust has settled- this will probably be seen as a good point - especially if we can get 4 points from our next 2 - which I think is possible.
  • Options
    Shocking game, shocking pitch. As for Operation Pigs observations, if we are the worst side you have played you have my condolences, check out the league table amigo. You might recall our last game with you when we had the lions share and you won 2-0, it's called sods law, comprende ?

And I share my learned ChippyCAFC's comments.....any abandoned games ??
  • Options
    First time I've posted in a while, that was a bloody awful game between two very poor sides who will both be fighting the drop.

We were the better of the sides but that isn't saying much, always like my trips to the valley, a proper football ground, just hope you get the pitch sorted.

We tried to go for it and we did get a huge slice of luck with the offside goal though Wickham could have left it anyway as Lee's effort was going in, the save from Alnwick just after was top drawer and the cross across goal immediately after was begging to be put in.

I thought we could have pressured Richard Wood a bit more, looked lost at sea at times that lad.

Comedy moment of the day was someone clipping my heel and my trainer dropping under the train at Charlton station post match, thankfully some old fella had a walking stick and it was retrieved.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Spanish said:

Shocking game, shocking pitch. As for Operation Pigs observations, if we are the worst side you have played you have my condolences, check out the league table amigo. You might recall our last game with you when we had the lions share and you won 2-0, it's called sods law, comprende ?

And I share my learned ChippyCAFC's comments.....any abandoned games ??

Lost 0-2 away but I think you mean the 1-2 at home last season, with you completely though, how we lost that game let alone got anything from it is difficult to fathom.
  • Options
    I think, to be fair, we were not at our best - and I always look at GD to see the relevant merits of a team rather than points and we seem to be not a million miles apart in that respect. It also tells me that there are 4 stand out weak sides that both Wednesday and us should be able to steer away from, but that doesn't account for changes in manager or acquisitions in January. So whilst we should expect not to be relegated, we should be very wary of it.

If the takeover happens and we bring in a pacy striker who know where the goal is, I could see us making a surge up the table. I think there is more potential in us thann Wednesday have in all honesty. I think in Solly and Wiggins (neither of whom were playing yesterday) that we have the best full backs in the league and with Stephens and Cousins (again whilst they played- Stephens was played out of position yesterday), there is a lot of potential there too.

Yann has genuine class and is crying out for the right partner and I think Church can offer a lot from the bench or as a third striker playing with a free role from the left. Wiggins attacking game means we don't need an out and out wide man in that position.
  • Options

@operationpig Don't get excited by getting a point today. Make no mistake Wednesday are truly awful and will be at the bottom end all the way. Think we were worse than you today but can be better. Don't think you can be.

Shooters, normally you're a reasonable poster and you do tend to post balanced views but come off it man, how can you say I should be excited about getting a point at yours when you and I both know it should've been three, some of the lads are saying the worse side we've played this season are yourselves so how does that stack up on the grand scheme of things?

If Wednesday were truly awful how come we managed to get 21 shots to your 11 and had the lion share of possession played on a pitch that quite frankly wasn't fit for purpose, a light shower of rain and the game would've been abandoned, my point is, how can you expect to see a decent game of football on a pitch like that?

Thats rich coming from you op....had any games abandoned this year at all ?
    Wednesday's shooting was the worst I've ever seen at a game of football. OP was not there and brought up they had 21 shots, of those 4 or more went out for throw ins and at least 10 went in the top tier of the stand! Both keepers made one save of note each, BBC stats guess shots on target when blocked. Wednesday were the better team, but in no way dominated, only the delusional or those that didn't go would say that.
  • Options
    Despite the reportedly terrible game on Sunday, we have gained 5 points so far from the holiday games. I expected 6 from the entire programme and still expect we can get something from the Ipswich game.
    Powell needs to revert to the side which played well at Bolton and beat Brighton. I hope he has the 'courage' and practical, tactical sense to leave Jackson out and that Wiggins has recovered sufficiently from the rigours of new fatherhood and can return to do the job for which he is well paid. We need Solly back as well so that sharpshooter Wilson can return to the midfield. Let's hope that Wilson's new found scoring flair will prove to be as productive in the long term as was Jackson's
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    Gammysnr said:

...BBC stats guess shots on target when blocked. Wednesday were the better team, but in no way dominated, only the delusional or those that didn't go would say that.

I used to work with a bloke who claimed to work part time for the Beeb, doing their stats. He told me that he had to watch a match and press certain buttons on a keypad when certain things happened. He could have been bullshitting, but sounded plausible to me. Anyway, he wasn't the sharpest knife in the drawer and I never trusted their analysis since.
  • Options
    Stig said:

Gammysnr said:

...BBC stats guess shots on target when blocked. Wednesday were the better team, but in no way dominated, only the delusional or those that didn't go would say that.

I used to work with a bloke who claimed to work part time for the Beeb, doing their stats. He told me that he had to watch a match and press certain buttons on a keypad when certain things happened. He could have been bullshitting, but sounded plausible to me. Anyway, he wasn't the sharpest knife in the drawer and I never trusted their analysis since.
    Probably right, about personal opinion rather than solid facts. Companies, such as Opta, have people watching games and others watching live feeds to ensure the correct stat is entered. They also have a 'blocked shot' category. Wednesdays 21 shots is very misleading, as is Charlton's 14!
  • Options
    Stig said:

Gammysnr said:

Rather like the scoring system in amateur boxing .. highly subjective but is there a better way of statistically analysing a game ?
  • Options
    Stats don't tell you much as ambitious pot shots count the same as well crafted chances. I'd say in terms of real chances, the game was pretty even yesterday in that there were not too many for either side. This is because Wednesday set up to flood the midfield, not be caught out at the back and catch us out as many others have done playing this way in recent times. However, Chrissy will have wanted a win but decided that a defeat would have been a disaster and the win against Brighton allowed for a more cautious approach - so we didn't expose ourselves by trying too hard for a goal.

Wednesday gifted us a goal by not marking our player in the box! Then they had to be more offensive and that was our chance- but Chrissy, clearly decided he still needed to be cautious and they got a goal reasonably quickly. They then sensed that there might be 3 points in it for them which, excuse th epun, would have been massive and bringing on Devitte sent a message that we were not goint to look too hard for the winner. They risked a bit looking for the winner towards the end - which no team was really doing with conviction before that, and in all honesty - had Church shown a little more composure, it could have ended up costing them.

I think that is the story of the match. It was not a match that told you too much about the teams. If Operation Pig thinks it showed Wednesday to be a lot better tyhan us, I am afraid he may get a bit of a surprise as th eseason progresses. This was a Powell approach that I anticpated before the game and suggested in my pre-maych comments - Of course he wanted 3 points, but understood that one point following 3 against Brighton was not a disaster in the way of things and a defeat would have been. If you are too scared to lose, it is harder to win.

I wouldn't approach games the same way as Powell does, but I can understand why he does and that point could prove valuable -if nothing more than it keeps a confidence boosting unbeaten run going. These are things he factors in much more than us fans do.

• Options
    Gammysnr said:

Stig said:

Gammysnr said:

Probably right, about personal opinion rather than solid facts. Companies, such as Opta, have people watching games and others watching live feeds to ensure the correct stat is entered. They also have a 'blocked shot' category. Wednesdays 21 shots is very misleading, as is Charlton's 14!
    I counted 3 wednesday shots that went out for a throw and lost count with how many ended up in row z, I doubt I would need all 8 fingers to count the combined shots of both teams that were anywhere near threatening the goal.
  • Options

Kap10 said:

The point is that no one takes responsibility within the club - and that's why the pitch is beyond unacceptable.
    Again good points all round but the comment on Prothero (At least you have dropped part time) came over as a dig and detracted, and you don't need to do that, he does it for himself.