Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Which football commentators impress you?

Which TV or radio football commentators, pundits or "experts" really impress you? It's pretty easy to say which ones are the most irritating, but it would be interesting to see which ones are best respected.

I think Gary Neville is usually very good. And Lee Dixon is clearly very knowledgeable. I also like Phil Parry.

Who else..?

Comments

• Options
    I really like Jim Beglin. I wish he and Peter Drury would take over from Tyldsley and Townsend as ITV's main commentators.

I really like listening to Jonathan Pearce on MOTD and Sam Matterface on TalkSport too.
  • Options
    Chris Kamara - mainly for comedy value
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    Brian Moore - The Big Match
  • Options
    Not many know that Brian Moore commentated for the BBC on the 1966 World Cup final.
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    I like John Murray, Mike Ingham, Ian Dennis and Jonathan Pearce as commentators. For expert summarisers I like Jimmy Armfield, Terry Butcher and Jan Molby.
  • Options
    David Coleman
  • Options
    James Richardson, the chap who used to do Gazetta Football Italia, rounding up the day's headlines from the sports newspapers whilst sipping on an espresso. Maybe it's just me, can't understand why he never made it onto mainstream tv after that, way more watcheable than Chiles, Humphrey, etc.

Jonathan Pearce, although more so when he was on Capital Gold.

Matt Le Tissier on Soccer Saturday, and another vote for Lee Dixon and Gary Neville. Martin O'Neill is very good although you usually only see him at World Cups and European Championships.

I once saw Eamon Dunphy presenting what I think was the Match of the Day equivalent in Ireland (might have been international coverage). Him and the pundits were absolutely tearing into someone's performance - quite refreshing to see that in contrast to the old pals' act that you get on the beeb.
  • Options
    Dave Woods
    Dave Higson
    Mark Mansfield
    Steve Dixon
    Mike Ingham

• Options
    Emma (not)
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Jonathan Pearce is excellent in my view.
  • Options
    like Jonathan Pearce and Sam Matterface.

Neville is an excellent pundit on Sky and I normally find myself agreeing with Souness too when he's on
  • Options
    I really like listening to Lee Dixon and Gary Neville...

Don Goodman along with Andy Hinchcliffe are brilliant in the Football League Is it Gary Birtles who usually commentates with them?
  • Options
    Ray Wilkins
  • Options

I really like listening to Lee Dixon and Gary Neville...

Don Goodman along with Andy Hinchcliffe are brilliant in the Football League Is it Gary Birtles who usually commentates with them?

I also like Peter Beagrie, who along with them are probably the only Football League interested people on Sky Sports.
  • Options
    Hate Ray Wilkins as he's so flat... I like Peter Beagrie as well has and excellent partnership going with Simon Thomas
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    More pundits than commentators but Neville is superb.

Also really like the bloke that does Spanish football on Sky (Guillem ??? ).

James Richardson was also quality.
  • Options
    Agree about Phil Parry on BBC London, enjoy that.

Had the pleasure of being Alan Seabrooke's summariser for our game at Yeovil earlier this season and I thought he was pretty decent too!
  • Options
    Alan Green...
  • Options
    Not Jamie ' Let me on the Telly" Carragher. Someone should tell him that less is more.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Agree about Phil Parry on BBC London, enjoy that.

Had the pleasure of being Alan Seabrooke's summariser for our game at Yeovil earlier this season and I thought he was pretty decent too!

Definitely agree about Phil Parry. Remember when he tore into out players after their shameful performance at Bristol City during our descent into hell. He spoke for us.

I find Alan Seabrook a bit over the top. Especially hate it when he is reporting a Palace victory

• Options
    I like Dixon, Neville, Souness, Pearce and Martin Tyler. To buck the trend, I also don't mind Andy Townsend or Alan Green.
  • Options
    Isn't AC Jimbo now doing BT Sport stuff? He also does some presenting for Premier League TV which is the premierships in hpouse broadcasting arm and gets fired out around the globe. He probably get watched by far more people than Richard Keys ever did.
  • Options
    Ron Atkinson
  • Options
    As much as I couldnt stand him as a footballer, Martin Keown is very good.
    VG mentioned the Spanish expert on Sky, Guillem Balague who is very good. Mendietta comes across very well too.
  • Options
    Phil Parry is superb, when we beat Bournemouth in the title winning season with a late goal his "call the police, there's been a robbery" was genius, Ian Williams is good I did the Cardiff 5-4 game with him, poor man had to sit through my meltdown at the end, Alan Seabrooke is a tad to excitable for me!
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    What's the name of the guy who does the Scottish games on radio 5? He's pretty decent

Edit: Roddy Forsyth! That was bugging me. Makes up for the fact that scottish football is a joke
  • Options
    Dan O'Hagan - Gets a mixed bag of jobs, was on MOTD over Christmas. Does his research well!
  • Options
    Clark Carlisle the other day commentating on the Notts v West Ham game was decent. Infact whenever he has been a pundit he has also seemed very decent, I hope he gets more games to work on.
  • Options
    Andy Hughes:)