Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Comments

• He's retired.
  • cafctom said:

I still don't understand why it is a big deal though, or why some feel as though players should come out and reveal their sexuality. It has F-all to do with Football and isn't really anyone else's business who they sleep with or enter a relationship with.

I couldnt agree more... I've never heard malicious comments from the terraces (nor indications from the players) these days about a players sexuality so dont feel why they need to come out and make a big deal of it...

By the way everyone its been a tough couple of years whether I announced this to everyone or not but... I'm straight - Appreciate the kindness and help you've all given me and I seriously hope... no pray that others feel that they can come out and do this

(In case anyone is offended by the above... Im not taking the piss out of those for being gay, I just dont see the need to announce it)
  • cafctom said:

The game/media is still waiting for someone to come out whilst they are playing at the top of their game in stadiums week in and week out.

I still don't understand why it is a big deal though, or why some feel as though players should come out and reveal their sexuality. It has F-all to do with Football and isn't really anyone else's business who they sleep with or enter a relationship with.

This!

I really couldn't give a toss what footballers do in their own time. They are entitled to a private life, the same as the rest of us.
  • cafctom said:

I couldnt agree more... I've never heard malicious comments from the terraces (nor indications from the players) these days about a players sexuality so dont feel why they need to come out and make a big deal of it...

The abuse Sol Campbell got probably deterred any gay player from coming out in the forseeable future
  • cafctom said:

The game/media is still waiting for someone to come out whilst they are playing at the top of their game in stadiums week in and week out.

This!

I really couldn't give a toss what footballers do in their own time. They are entitled to a private life, the same as the rest of us.
    Yup... couldnt give a toss about what anyone does in their own time, thats why its called a private life
  • cafctom said:

Pat ya self on the back Tom pal, best post of 2014 so far that
  • Sponsored links:

• I hope the media don't make a big thing out of it. It'll have a negative effect on any current player that is gay.
  • The fact that the media are making a big thing of it each time im sure makes them feel different and abnormal.

If a player comes out, so what. What does it matter? he can still kick a ball exactly the same as when he had not come out
  • Matthew Lumby ‏@MatthewLumby
    Well done Thomas Hitzlsperger: 'I have never been ashamed'. He shouldn't be. Some people play for Villa. Get over it. http://gu.com/p/3ykkf/tw

;-)

Haha, Do you know Lumby Mog?

• Do you really think the footballing public can be trusted not to give someone dog's abuse about their sexuality if they came out? I don't. It might not be an issue for you and me, but for some, any difference will do.
  • edited January 2014
    It's obvious why they don't come out, isn't it ?

Many football fans will sing/chant pretty much anything they can, to attempt to "put off" the opposition & give their team a perceived advantage.

So if you're overweight, have a dodgy hair cut etc you may have abuse aimed at you.

As the only gay in English football, you will get it both barrels from some & there's no denying it.

You'd have to be foolish & very very brave to set yourself up for that.
  • I understand why nobody wants to come out as gay.

I just dont see why the media make a big thing of it when somebody does.
  • People say they dont give a toss about private life etc but in reality i dont think that really rings true, and certainly wouldnt with a large proportion of football supporters. Im pretty sure everyone had a bit to say about giggsys antics and rooney banging hookers. Its all very well taking a rational and moral view about this and personally i couldnt give two shits either but in reality a lot of people are interested in footballers private lives.
  • Hopefully the footballing public's opinion will alter through time just as abuse in football regarding skin colour has reduced over the years. Awareness of what is appropriate is what it's about. The majority of people know it's wrong to abuse someone because of their sexuality, as a form of 'banter', and if you witness a fellow football fan abusing someone else on the pitch online, in the ground, or anywhere, more people should report it/shout them down, and it will reduce over time.
  • I'll choose my words carefully here in case I offend someone, but I think I am a little uncomfortable with a player retiring and then, almost, immediately demanding that a high profile sportsman should 'come out' at the top of his game.

If it's private (and I, personally, think it is) then there is no need for anyone to know. If it's in the public interest (and I don't, personally, think it is) then it should be disclosed as a matter of course.

However, a player that keeps it a secret for his whole career (for what ever reason) is not, in my personal view, justified in calling for someone else to come out in circumstances that he wouldn't, and didn't!
  • Matthew Lumby ‏@MatthewLumby
    Well done Thomas Hitzlsperger: 'I have never been ashamed'. He shouldn't be. Some people play for Villa. Get over it. http://gu.com/p/3ykkf/tw

;-)

How comes you've got that up MOG? Lumby is a mate of mine.
  • Sponsored links:

• Hopefully the footballing public's opinion will alter through time just as abuse in football regarding skin colour has reduced over the years. Awareness of what is appropriate is what it's about. The majority of people know it's wrong to abuse someone because of their sexuality, as a form of 'banter', and if you witness a fellow football fan abusing someone else on the pitch online, in the ground, or anywhere, more people should report it/shout them down, and it will reduce over time.

Typical birds comment. Isn't it time you put the kettle on love ;0)
  • I'll choose my words carefully here in case I offend someone, but I think I am a little uncomfortable with a player retiring and then, almost, immediately demanding that a high profile sportsman should 'come out' at the top of his game.

If it's private (and I, personally, think it is) then there is no need for anyone to know. If it's in the public interest (and I don't, personally, think it is) then it should be disclosed as a matter of course.

However, a player that keeps it a secret for his whole career (for what ever reason) is not, in my personal view, justified in calling for someone else to come out in circumstances that he wouldn't, and didn't!

I would agree but it doesn't seem that that is what Hitzlesperger has said.

"I'm coming out about my homosexuality because I want to move the discussion about homosexuality among professional sportspeople forwards," he added.
    The midfielder said he has only realised "in the past few years" that he would "prefer to live together with another man", adding: "I've never been ashamed of the way I am." However, he said the issue is taboo inside the dressing room and it had not always been easy to live with some of the comments dished out on the subject.
  • Dizzle said:

I understand why nobody wants to come out as gay.

Because he gave the story to a newspaper ?
  • People say they dont give a toss about private life etc but in reality i dont think that really rings true, and certainly wouldnt with a large proportion of football supporters. Im pretty sure everyone had a bit to say about giggsys antics and rooney banging hookers. Its all very well taking a rational and moral view about this and personally i couldnt give two shits either but in reality a lot of people are interested in footballers private lives.

In terms of your average football fan - I think that you a confusing 'interest' with a perceived reason to hurl abuse at a player.

I doubt that many people do really care about Rooney's antics - but do see it as an easy target for abuse.

Any high profile player that came out would get hammered (no pun) at most away grounds.
  • Dizzle said:

I understand why nobody wants to come out as gay.

Because he gave the story to a newspaper ?
    Its the main headline though. If he wants it reported it does not have to be the main news story and main headline in my opinion. There are bigger issues.

We need a striker for instance :)

I would agree but it doesn't seem that that is what Hitzlesperger has said.

"I'm coming out about my homosexuality because I want to move the discussion about homosexuality among professional sportspeople forwards," he added.
    The midfielder said he has only realised "in the past few years" that he would "prefer to live together with another man", adding: "I've never been ashamed of the way I am." However, he said the issue is taboo inside the dressing room and it had not always been easy to live with some of the comments dished out on the subject.
    Yeah, sorry I, perhaps, read the article a little quickly. I think the para that led me to the wrong impression was this one:

"Every sports star who is willing to speak out makes it just that little bit easier for gay players and fans, and we hope, a new generation of footballers will feel confident enough to be themselves."
  • Pity didn't come out whilst still playing at high level.

But why would a thousand people chanting 'you gay bastard' affect the player any more than them chanting ' you fat bastard'?

Think what is stopping more coming out is the reaction in the dressing room not the stands.
  • Campaign group Stonewall welcomed the announcement. Director of campaigns Sam Dick told BBC Sport: "It's fantastic that he has been brave enough to openly discuss his sexual orientation."

..........and it's fantastic that Sam Dick has been brave enough to take on the job with that name.
  • edited January 2014
    As we've seen with ethnic minority involvement, its a long, slow process to acceptability, but one day it will get there.

We generally are a much more mature nation these days in dealing with these issues, though Stonewall putting forward a spokesman called Mr Dick is testing that resolve to the limit....
  • Dick standing up for gays everywhere