Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Thomas Hitzlsperger comes out....

Comments

• Options
    Dick is firmly behind Hitzlsperger

Sorry
  • Options
    Won't be long before Lars Bender is on board with the Dickmeister.
  • Options
    Steve Davies, Surrey wicket keeper came out a couple of years ago and is still playing. I know the mentatally of fans in cricket and football differs greatly hence he would not take as much stick as a cricketer, than if he was a premiership footballer
  • Options
    shirty5 said:

Steve Davies, Surrey wicket keeper came out a couple of years ago and is still playing. I know the mentatally of fans in cricket and football differs greatly hence he would not take as much stick as a cricketer, than if he was a premiership footballer

Not to mention 99.9% of the country probably haven't a clue who he is.
  • Options
    MrOneLung said:

But why would a thousand people chanting 'you gay bastard' affect the player any more than them chanting ' you fat bastard'?

Because 99% of the time, the players getting called fat bastards are anything but.
  • Options

shirty5 said:

So on that basis then, if a young lad at Newport County who has made over 50 league apprerances "came out" tomorrow would he not count, cause "No one has a clue who he is"

• Options
    buckshee said:

Matthew Lumby ‏@MatthewLumby
    Well done Thomas Hitzlsperger: 'I have never been ashamed'. He shouldn't be. Some people play for Villa. Get over it. http://gu.com/p/3ykkf/tw

;-)

How comes you've got that up MOG? Lumby is a mate of mine.
    I think it's my retweet that got this to MOG
  • Options
    shirty5 said:

shirty5 said:

So on that basis then, if a young lad at Newport County who has made over 50 league apprerances "came out" tomorrow would he not count, cause "No one has a clue who he is"

Not count for what?

My comment was in response to Davies being compared to a premier leageu footballer.
  • Options

shirty5 said:

shirty5 said:

Not count for what?

My comment was in response to Davies being compared to a premier leageu footballer.
    Right'o. Thank you
  • Options

People say they dont give a toss about private life etc but in reality i dont think that really rings true, and certainly wouldnt with a large proportion of football supporters. Im pretty sure everyone had a bit to say about giggsys antics and rooney banging hookers. Its all very well taking a rational and moral view about this and personally i couldnt give two shits either but in reality a lot of people are interested in footballers private lives.

In terms of your average football fan - I think that you a confusing 'interest' with a perceived reason to hurl abuse at a player.

I doubt that many people do really care about Rooney's antics - but do see it as an easy target for abuse.

Any high profile player that came out would get hammered (no pun) at most away grounds.
    Disagree with you there mate. To be honest I was interested in what Rooney was up to, and Giggs, as a football fan. They're people who I watch a lot and are in the public eye and as a result of that fame and spotlight you build up an opinion of them. Their antics impacted on my opinion of both of them. I wouldn't / didn't hurl abuse at either but I'm not gonna pretend I didn't read the press coverage about it because quite frankly I did find it interesting, or certainly worthy of reading about.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

People say they dont give a toss about private life etc but in reality i dont think that really rings true, and certainly wouldnt with a large proportion of football supporters. Im pretty sure everyone had a bit to say about giggsys antics and rooney banging hookers. Its all very well taking a rational and moral view about this and personally i couldnt give two shits either but in reality a lot of people are interested in footballers private lives.

In terms of your average football fan - I think that you a confusing 'interest' with a perceived reason to hurl abuse at a player.

I doubt that many people do really care about Rooney's antics - but do see it as an easy target for abuse.

Any high profile player that came out would get hammered (no pun) at most away grounds.
    Disagree with you there mate. To be honest I was interested in what Rooney was up to, and Giggs, as a football fan. They're people who I watch a lot and are in the public eye and as a result of that fame and spotlight you build up an opinion of them. Their antics impacted on my opinion of both of them. I wouldn't / didn't hurl abuse at either but I'm not gonna pretend I didn't read the press coverage about it because quite frankly I did find it interesting, or certainly worthy of reading about.
    Fair enough. We are polar opposites then. I couldn't give a monkeys about either of their private lives but would gladly give them both stick for it.
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    You only have to look at a couple of the remarks on here to understand why a footballer would be fucking mad to declare his homosexuality whilst still playing.

Nothing abusive, as such, but just a bit dim. If you don't think a gay footballer would be abused the minute he set foot on the pitch,you're being wilfully naive.

• Options

Fair enough. We are polar opposites then. I couldn't give a monkeys about either of their private lives but would gladly give them both stick for it.
    Obviously I don't know you but I'd be surprised if your statement is entirely honest... if you really didn't give a monkeys you probably wouldn't have read any of the press articles about it all... but I'm sure you did and you know exactly what they were up to. So there must have been some degree of interest which is the point I was trying to make - and if you would give them stick for it that underlines it.

On the face of it I would say I'm not bothered about what footballers are up to but in reality and when it comes to it people are and that's why they then shout about it and take the p*ss. I mean ffs look at how much comment there was on this website about Danny Green's house when he was on the FLS. That was proper dull stuff but there were still loads on here who managed to take an interest in where he bought his kitchen table etc. Callum Harriot, an unknown teenager whose played barely more than a handful of games for a mediocre second division football club has over 5,000 sad bastards following him on twitter (including me :-/)

Like it or not a majority of football fans are interested in what footballers are up to and its just unrealistic to think that most of them wouldn't take an interest in them being gay and probably ripping the shit out of them for it. That will only change when homophobic abuse has become as taboo in society as racial abuse which ain't happening any time soon
  • Options
    Fair play to him :-)
  • Options
    Le Saux doesn't pull any punches in that article does he and nor should he. If you heard Le Saux on Radio 4 today he stated that Fowler has only a few weeks ago apologised for the incident that took place 15 years ago ffs. They must have come across each other dozens of times since yet Fowler has only very recently been man enough to acknowledge he was bang out of order.
  • Options
    That is a really good article. Like the fact that he has named players who gave him stick such as Savage and Ince. Not surprised by either.
  • Options

That is a really good article. Like the fact that he has named players who gave him stick such as Savage and Ince. Not surprised by either.

Savage? Surely a case of a pot calling a kettle black whilst throwing stones from his glasshouse?
  • Options
    Robbie Savage looks like a gay lion.
  • Options
    And your username is a bit suspect too!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited January 2014
    Bloody charities.
  • Options
    Thanks MOG, superb piece and confirms that Ince and Fowler are two deeply unpleasant individuals.

I wonder what Fowler would have thought if Le Saux had taunted him about Hillsborough to "get an edge over an opponent"?
  • Options
    I would have thought Fowler was still at school in 1989.
  • Options
    And both Savage and Fowler currently employed by the BBC. Wishful thinking that they'd get rid of Savage over this...
  • Options

Robbie Savage looks like a gay icon.

I'm sure he is.
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    Nice
  • Options
    BREAKING NEWS:

Thomas Hitzlsperger has bravely and publicly announced that he once played for West Ham.............
  • Options
    Great article, and rare for someone to so openly name names, rather than drop hints about the culprits
  • Options
    I didn't realise he had played 52 games for Germany, I knew he'd been capped but not that many times.

Very good player at his best.