Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton 2 - 2 Oxford - Post Match Thread

Comments

• Options
    Thinking of going, but £19? That's more than Wigan charge for a league match.
  • Options
    They interviewed a couple of Oxford fans on the radio as they were leaving the ground. Both said they thought they were brilliant first half, but second half they thought they were under the cosh and that we were going to win - so in the end were grateful to get the draw/replay.

Not sure if that stacks up with others views, but good to get a different perspective sometimes.
  • Options
    Let's just pretend that one didn't happen.
  • Options
    My mate who went tonight and I just agreed to go to the replay but now that its 19 quid we're not!!
  • Options

Anybody that went to the manor ground, has already done Oxford,just because they moved to Kassam doesn't mean you haven't been . GOT IT !!!

Plus, The Manor Ground was a proper old style lower league ground and had some character whereas their new place is just another concrete bowl.
  • Options
    Oxford come straight at us from the off and we looked rusty and disinterested. The miss passes by us just bred more of the same, but they were quite physical, although it seemed perfectly sporting according to the ref... In the 2nd half we came out better and started to fight back. Things improved with the substitutions, especially Green on for Pritchard. Harriot almost nicked a winner in the dying minutes! I don't fancy the replay though!
  • Options
    I have to say that Green changed the game as he beat his man for the second goal and whipped in 4 good crosses. How Pritchard started over him is a mystery. Another disappointing cameo from Harriot, he is going backwards.

Not exactly Coussins finest hour either, caught in possession for 2nd goal.
  • Options
    Rothko said:

NINETEEN QUID!

My thoughts exactly. Proper piss take. How can they justify charging that when we only charged them £10? Shouldn't there be some kind of mutual agreement? It's not as if we're Leeds or Man U and will sell out regardless.
  • Options

Anybody that went to the manor ground, has already done Oxford,just because they moved to Kassam doesn't mean you haven't been . GOT IT !!!

Plus, The Manor Ground was a proper old style lower league ground and had some character whereas their new place is just another concrete bowl.
    Not quite. Pretty sure its only got three sides, that makes it a broken bowl.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Green was better then the hapless Pritchard.
  • Options
    I'm very confident we'll win the replay but I ain't going!
  • Options
    Nicholas said:

He really was. It's a shame we don't play against League Two teams every week..........
  • Options
    I can't remember ever feeling quite as uninterested or untroubled than by tonight's fixture. I swore I wouldn't go to another FA Cup match because of our pathetic performances and bang on cue we deliver once again. Perfect time to deliver the worst 45 minutes as manager when you are under the scrutiny of new owners. How much worse can it get.
  • Options

Nicholas said:

He really was. It's a shame we don't play against League Two teams every week..........
    Load of bollocks. Who should play on the right then. Super
  • Options
    Sat in the away end with my mate whos a Us fan.. was quite entertained, didnt think we would see as many as 4 goals, Kermorgants looked pretty good albeit we were far away. Oxford are quite poor at home in the league so i think we can win there. First half CAFC played without rhythm, leadership or even desire, it was as though they remembered beating them 4 0 and thought it would be an easy game.

SCP must have ripped into them at half time and we got away with a semi decent result that we didn't really deserve but as long as we win the replay it would have been worth it.

On a sidenote i anticipated the replay would of been on the 25th and i would have gone, but not going to trek up there on a tuesday night due to having to get up at 7 every morning.

• Options

Oxford come straight at us from the off and we looked rusty and disinterested. The miss passes by us just bred more of the same, but they were quite physical, although it seemed perfectly sporting according to the ref... In the 2nd half we came out better and started to fight back. Things improved with the substitutions, especially Green on for Pritchard. Harriot almost nicked a winner in the dying minutes! I don't fancy the replay though!

I think we'll get the result away being as we are a counter-attacking side and their pitch will be so much better than ours! Plus we'll be that little bit match sharper by then too.
  • Options
    MrLargo said:

Not quite. Pretty sure its only got three sides, that makes it a broken bowl.
    Three sides? Didn't know that, no wonder they're charging 19 quid a head - they need to finish the ground!
  • Options
    Oxford Away on Tues

Hudds Away on Sat
    Or
    Bournemouth Home on Sat

I wonder...
  • Options

I can't remember ever feeling quite as uninterested or untroubled than by tonight's fixture. I swore I wouldn't go to another FA Cup match because of our pathetic performances and bang on cue we deliver once again. Perfect time to deliver the worst 45 minutes as manager when you are under the scrutiny of new owners. How much worse can it get.

Parky did much the same thing with that shambolic Swindon debacle and we all know what happened next. The difference is Powell managed to gee the players up into at least avoiding defeat.

Would be amazed if tonight costs Powell his job, but there's no doubt he's under a bit of additional pressure now.

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    We were truly awful until Green came on. Probably the worst I've ever seen Cousins and Wiggins play. Hamer doing himself no favours with the arrival of Thuram. Missed Stephens. Church is not good enough.

Bournemouth at home postponed now. Are Barnsley still in they cup? If Oxford knock us out could we play them that day?
  • Options
    What a magnificent match played on a pitch like a billiard table. In the first half Charlton were scintillating with fast flowing attacking football Oxford simply couldn't cope with next season's Premiership side....or perhaps not. The players never broke into a run in the first 45 and were punished accordingly. Why does it take a half-time talk by the manager before they actually put in some effort?? Our first shot came in the 50th minute which gives some idea of how shite we were. Danny Green changed the game and gave us some impetus. It was his nutmeg and cross that Yann volleyed in to save our blushes. In the closing moments Harriott had a header cleared off the line but a win for us would have been unfair on Oxford. I doubt Hudds (still unbeaten since 1936) will be worried if they meet us in the next round, assuming we win the replay. How we can fulfill our fixtures on that pitch is beyond me.
  • Options
    As has been said a hopeless 1st half, better in the second & nearly won it late on with Harriots header.

Better with Harriot & Green, Pritch & Cook hopeless,
  • Options
    _nam11 said:

Oxford Away on Tues

Hudds Away on Sat
    Or
    Bournemouth Home on Sat

I wonder...

Bournemouth playing at home on 25th to the Scousers mate.
  • Options
    First half was absolute dire. Really thought we'd be down 4/5-0 at half time. Havent seen us play that badly in a long time. But credit to the team to pull themselves together (or at least some of them) and even out the score. Couple of brief thoughts

-Pritch: Woeful. Serious bad form from him. Wouldnt have him anywhere near the first team side at the moment
    -Cousins: Worst Ive seen him play this season (particularly first half) though every player has an off day and will forgive
    -Jackson: Dont know why he was dropping so deep in first half, we lost the MF battle with him coming to collect ball off CB's
    -Wilson: Looked like the Wilson we all know, shame to see after a good Christmas period
    -Church: Did nothing today, just running around cant cut it much longer. Real need for another striker to be brought in
    -Green: Made the difference 2nd half, give him some more game time as a sub
    -Wiggins: Used to seeing him cut inside when attacking and usually works effectively, dont know why in that case he ran for the by-line most of the time to cross
  • Options
    Shockingly poor in the 1st and made an OK Oxford team look good. They scored from their two shots first of which was a deflection.

Even Cousins was poor, giving away the ball for their 2nd but generally the whole lot were sluggish and off there game.

2nd half we picked it up from the off even before Green and Harriot gave us width and penetration.

Never been a Green fan but he did well albeit v a tiring league two side.

Pritch was a shadow of the player he was last season. As Norman Smith said to me as he was subbed that could be the last we see of him.

Cook and Church were also lightweight.

Hamer made one very good save and couldn't have done more for the goals.

Wiggins was ropey early on but got better. In fact you could say that of most of the team. When we did pass the ball round we found space and pressed them back but long high balls are meat and drink to a Div 4 defence. We can and do play some good stuff when we try.

Two good goals though and JJ headed wide and Callum had a goal bound header deflected wide late on when we were well on top and looked a team two leaguie

The pitch looked bad and more rain can't have helped. A few weeks for Paddy to patch it up now.

Was tempted to go to the replay if was on the Saturday but no way to 19 quid midweek. Done the Manor ground anyway.

That's my fix of home footie for the month
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    Posting before reading.
    Very poor tonight I'm afraid.
    So the combined features were;
    Oxford are decent and were up for it and have played recently.
    We looked so rusty a gallon of WD40 wouldn't have helped..
    The pitch.
    The wicked deflection for their first goal.
    We were very poor with little desire.

There you have it, we drew ugly. We constructed a result of sorts out of bits and pieces, no discernible pattern, strategy, or plan as far as I could tell.
    The introduction of Danny Green (didn't shy away from the pain to put the cross in for Yann's goal), Pigott and Harriott (nearly scored a headed winner) was the saving grace, but despite his goal Morro had a mare, and I suppose it was right to play Hamer in a way, but I would have preferred Alnwick.

For me Jackon and Yann were maybe average, Cousins borderline good, the rest bar the subs were below average tonight.

Oxford were decent, but Wilder should not have done the panic substitution after our first goal, it put doubt in the teams mind for them, and let us back in it. Oh and we're supposed to be two divisions above Oxford. I am assuming absolutely nothing regarding the replay.

The covered end lower has a poor rake for visuals compared to the East Stand.

• Options
    Many fringe players getting a game don't deliver, but there are no longer reserve games , so are we managing this? Evina, Ptitch, Harriott and others have delivered before but haven't had intensity to be consistent from cold,
  • Options
    Pleased by the come back but Powell needs to strengthen the squad in the window or I can see us going down.
    We need a central midfielder, right/left winger and most importantly a striker. Worrying times if we get injuries to kerms and stephens.
  • Options
    awful 1st half, not much better 2nd but the players realised that the ref was letting a lot go & so got amongst them a bit more & it paid off. The pitch didn't help and god knows what will happen if we get more bad weather & it doesn't drain away.

Pritchard is at best a defensive midfielder - he is not an attacking midfielder & certainly not a winger/wide man. I was fuming at half time & was screaming at CP as he walked off to take off Pritchard & Cook and put on Green & Harriott......took him 70 mins to get the message but it worked. I hope that is the last we see of Pritchard, but I expect CP to pick him again on Saturday.

Thought JJ had a decent game & probably my MOTM. Green showed that if you give him the ball he will deliver a decent cross or two - great finish from Kermy.

Still need a striker or two & only 16 days to go. I was thinking of going to the replay, but at £19 they can whistle.