Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton 2 - 2 Oxford - Post Match Thread

Comments

• Options

Pleased by the come back but Powell needs to strengthen the squad in the window or I can see us going down.
    We need a central midfielder, right/left winger and most importantly a striker. Worrying times if we get injuries to kerms and stephens.

Agreed, if Yann or Stephens miss a large part of the remainder of the season we will go down, unless Ajadavaric is better than anyone on here expects him to be.
  • Options
    Just back. First half, Powell sat on the advert, may even have checked his phone at one time. Second half, a bit more animated. Team the same. Oxford helped us by sitting back a bit. Blokes behind were having orgasms about Green but it didn't take a lot to shine tonight. Having said all that I thought we'd win in the last ten minutes. Onwards and upwards.
  • Options
    Nicholas said:

Nicholas said:

Green was better then the hapless Pritchard.

He really was. It's a shame we don't play against League Two teams every week..........
    Load of bollocks. Who should play on the right then. Super
    Wilson and Solly.
  • Options
    One time when I'm pleased to be a wrinkly - I'm willing to stump up £11.50 next Tuesday.

Dreadful 1st half. Sat next to stilladdicted & her hubby and we had our heads in our hands on numerous occasions..

As has been said already, Pritch had a mare - shouldn't be playing out wide especially on a pudding of a pitch which was our pride & joy not too many seasons ago. But the others weren't much better, I'm afraid. Oxford appeared to adapt to the conditions far more easily that the rusty Reds & seemed to want a trip to Udders more than we did.

But, following the inevitable cups/hairdryer treatment at half time, the lads came out looking more focused & pressed forward with some aggression at last. I'm not DG's biggest fan but he made a difference & the rest is history. Young Jordan Cousins had a stinker for once and was pretty upset when leaving the pitch after the final whistle. An arm round the shoulders from Capt JJ no doubt reassured him that everyone has a bad one occasionally.

So, a replay earned that after 45mins looked highly unlikely and another game to add to our busy schedule. Presumably that would mean 3 matches in 8 days should we end up the victors and our squad will be stretched to the limit. I presume that Solly and Stephens were rested tonight but we sure need them back soon...and a couple of additions wouldn't go amiss.

So, it's off to the Riverside on Saturday & hopefully a decent pitch. 3 points would be a terrific reward for those of us at the crack of dawn and a springboard for the arduous week ahead. The gaffer looked pretty down tonight - as though he had the weight of the world on his shoulders. A good performance up north would go a long way towards putting a smile back on his face...and ours !

Keep the faith !

• Options
    Dreadful first half and as passionless as the Manager on the touchline

Too many inept players typically Pritchard - not much going based on tonight's performance, Church who cannot trap a ball, run onto a pass by others, anticipate where the ball is likely to be. Please don't bang on about Cousins - not good in centre of midfield - doesn't go past anyone - doesn't pick a killer pass - and gets brushed too easily off of the ball. Kergomant - very good in the 2nd half but poor and very frustrating with casualness in the 1st. Sorry JJ but too slow and it showed.

Sadly I also think the merits of these players especially in the 1st half had also an impact on the others.

Those who have had a dig at Hamer in the "Players Marks" are way off as well - but for a finger tip save at a vital time in the 2nd we would be out of the cup. No chance with either goal

But for Danny Green's excellent cameo its also doubtful if we would have saved the game.

Chris Powell your tactics and team selection is worrying
  • Options
    Could have been worse. First half was a shocker and Pritchard and Cook offered nothing on either wing. Introduction of Harriott and Green made the difference with a peach of a cross from Greenie setting up Yanns volley. Jacko could have sealed it near the end with 2 headers, one being cleared off the line.
  • Options

5,500 there tonight---well done to those that made the effort----the fans that is.

a dog turd of a season

playing for contracts with a new owner ??????????? do f--k off.

Thank you! I was there and thoroughly enjoyed the evening!
    First half I saw some players who were poor - their first goal was a deflection and the second was caused by a Cousins pass which stuck in the mud - we had no chances and I wondered why the likes of Gower and Hughes weren't out there earning their wage battling through - what I mean is we could have done with a 5 man midfield closing them down and outclassing them.
    Loved the second half - Harriott made things happen; Kermorgant dropped back and led in the middle -and Piggott looked ok - wish we had started with that team.
    So looking forward to the replay followed by Hudds away...wake up lads! This is Charlton and the Cup is all we have this season. Quarter finals here we come!

• Options
    absolutely awful. Picked a terrible team, if we are going to play seasoned pro's then you have to motivate them. None of them looked inerested, should have had likes of Poyet, Holmes Denis, Lennon etc on the bench ahead of Evina, Devite and Hughes. Should have made at least one sub on 25 mins to put a rocket up arses.

Watching Powell sat, unflinching on the advertising hoarding as they scored the second was depressing and looked like a lack of fight.

Church is pitiful and if he carries on playing for us regularly we will really struggle to stay up this season. Cousins will learn he cannot coast through games, Pritch is a shadow of himself, shame as i really like the bloke. Cook is simply not good enough for league football and Jackson is miles off the pace despite effort.

The first half really was as bad as it gets, the second was better but even then we did not exactly smash on the door or have loads of chances.

It was just repeated hoof ball, pass and stand still football.
  • Options
    Charlton always manage to send me home with a crap performance, but this was one of the worst. First half, diabolical. What have they done to Pritch? He looks a stone lighter, and a strong breeze is enough to knock him off the ball. Up for it second half. Green and Harriot made a huge difference. Six or seven quality crosses came in from both wings. That's exactly what Kermo needs, the poor bloke has to feed off scraps most of the time.
  • Options
    Don't get the criticism of the team selection. That was pretty much our first team, which is worrying! Just a bad day at the office I think (hope)
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Don't get the criticism of the team selection. That was pretty much our first team, which is worrying! Just a bad day at the office I think (hope)

I think it shows how lightweight our squad is and how much we rely on Solly & Stephens currently.

Safe journey home, queensland_addick.

• Options

Too many inept players typically Pritchard - not much going based on tonight's performance, Church who cannot trap a ball, run onto a pass by others, anticipate where the ball is likely to be. Please don't bang on about Cousins - not good in centre of midfield - doesn't go past anyone - doesn't pick a killer pass - and gets brushed too easily off of the ball. Kergomant - very good in the 2nd half but poor and very frustrating with casualness in the 1st. Sorry JJ but too slow and it showed.

Sadly I also think the merits of these players especially in the 1st half had also an impact on the others.

Those who have had a dig at Hamer in the "Players Marks" are way off as well - but for a finger tip save at a vital time in the 2nd we would be out of the cup. No chance with either goal

But for Danny Green's excellent cameo its also doubtful if we would have saved the game.

Is that really Cousins' role? Rather than breaking up play and retaining possession so the "creative" players can get forward and create? Poor performance from him tonight but your comments suggest people like Makele and Deschamps weren't good players.
  • Options
    If we win the reply would we play the 4th round game on the 25th?

Isit possible that a match of that level can be played with 3 / 4 days notice? Wouldnt be fair on the hundred or so amazing CAFC faithful that would travel either. Replies appreciated.
  • Options

That's what I thought too, when I saw we were losing 2-0 I though, "Oh well, we must have the reserves out..." - I then checked and saw we had our strongest side!
  • Options

Isit possible that a match of that level can be played with 3 / 4 days notice? Wouldnt be fair on the hundred or so amazing CAFC faithful that would travel either. Replies appreciated.

Yes, because it makes little difference to Hudds, who are staging the game, which of us provides the opposition.
  • Options

Yes, because it makes little difference to Hudds, who are staging the game, which of us provides the opposition.

if that is the case, if we lose I expect us to be playing Barnsley on that date. ergo.

• Options

I think it shows how lightweight our squad is and how much we rely on Solly & Stephens currently.

Safe journey home, queensland_addick.

Thanks Fanny. See you next Christmas when we are in the Premiership!
  • Options
    1StevieG said:

...a peach of a cross from Greenie setting up Yanns volley...

It didn't look like a peach of a cross to me. From where I was sitting it went behind his target. It was only Yann's ability to throw unfeasible body shapes that turned it into a goal.

I don't think that either Green or Harriott looked that impressive actually, it's only because they followed the disappointing Cook and the absolutely abject Pritchard that they were made to look good in comparison.
  • Options

We were playing a 4th division side and had Pritchard on the wing, why not play Harriott who had scored 2 against Spurs in his last game and is a natural winger? Plus my point is, I would like to see some kids blooded in these games. They give their all as they have somehting to prove rather than some plodding pro who lacks inspiration. Maybe the kids just arn't good enough but i certainly could not blame the likes of Poyet leaving if he can't even get on the bench in games like this.
  • Options

Is that really Cousins' role? Rather than breaking up play and retaining possession so the "creative" players can get forward and create? Poor performance from him tonight but your comments suggest people like Makele and Deschamps weren't good players.
    Laughable really that you compare Cousins with Champions league players when he was playing against a league 2 side. The issue is that the boy needs a rest and to play in a position where he less exposed

loathed to criticise but didn't break up play for Oxford's 2nd rather he was brushed off of the ball.

By the way don't understand where the connection is with .Makele or Deschamps and its irrelevant
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Laughable really that you compare Cousins with Champions league players when he was playing against a league 2 side. The issue is that the boy needs a rest and to play in a position where he less exposed

loathed to criticise but didn't break up play for Oxford's 2nd rather he was brushed off of the ball.

By the way don't understand where the connection is with .Makele or Deschamps and its irrelevant
    "doesn't go past anyone, doesn't pick out a killer pass"... As said, he had a poor game today but you're criticising things he isn't in the team to do. The link to Deschamps and Makele is that they didn't do those things either.
  • Options
    Decided to go to see Watford v Bristol City tonight rather than watch CHarlton trudge across a pudding pitch. Wasn't treated to very good football there either. Though people will be glad to hear that Sam Baldock is basically Simon Church but without the effort. That Jay Emmanuel-Thomas has a fantastic touch and I was thinking we should be looking at him but his work rate is pitiful. Waggy came on for about 5 minutes and his sole contribution was getting booked for moaning at the ref. Delighted to see he hasn't changed. None of this is particularly relevant, but it's probably more interesting than us clawing back to a draw against Oxford.
  • Options

We were playing a 4th division side and had Pritchard on the wing, why not play Harriott who had scored 2 against Spurs in his last game and is a natural winger? Plus my point is, I would like to see some kids blooded in these games. They give their all as they have somehting to prove rather than some plodding pro who lacks inspiration. Maybe the kids just arn't good enough but i certainly could not blame the likes of Poyet leaving if he can't even get on the bench in games like this.
    Can you imagine the meltdown on here if the kids were picked and we lost?! For the record, I wouldn't have picked that team and would have started Harriott but the point is it wasn't a significantly weakened team.
  • Options
    Anyone know why Astrid wasn't even on the bench tonight?
  • Options
    First half I have NEVER seen us play so bad. Morrison had the worst game of his life. We couldn't string 3 passes together and Oxford should have been more then 2-0 up.

Second half was better, That pitch really dose not help.

We are in a relegation scrap. THAT is clear
  • Options

We were truly awful until Green came on. Probably the worst I've ever seen Cousins and Wiggins play. Hamer doing himself no favours with the arrival of Thuram. Missed Stephens. Church is not good enough.

Bournemouth at home postponed now. Are Barnsley still in they cup? If Oxford knock us out could we play them that day?

Barnsley got beat by Coventry. But now we play next tuesday v Oxford can't see them hastily arranging a league game at such short notice at this time of year.
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    First half was out of character for us. But we showed character in the second half.
  • Options

Not signed in time of the original fixture.

• Options

Not signed in time of the original fixture.

Strange rule because if someone had sign out of time for the Barnsley game which was called off on Saturday and that don't get played till April does that meant that player couldn't play in that game. Or is that just an FA Cup rule?
  • Options
    I wonder if there is a chance of the game being on TV next week. Giant killing possibility .