Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

'Bring The Dons Home' campaign: Invitation to support

Comments

• Options
    edited January 2014
    MrLargo said:

PopIcon said:

Does it not feel a bit wrong as they will be pulling the dog stadium down? A bit hypocritical?

They do various motorsports down there as well. I think it would be a shame to lose it, although I suspect if the Dons don't get it then someone'll evetually knock it down and turn it into flats anyway. Only that one, Crayford and Romford left around London as far as I know.
    Maybe the dogs could apply for an ACV

Have signed BTW, because Anna asked
  • Options
    I'm sure ivread somewhere that Wimbledon Stadium has a site use restriction and therefore can only be used in a sports and leisure capacity, and therefore the only options are to keep the dogs, convert to football or convert to a leisure centre
  • Options

I gather that the campaign has political support locally. Unsure as to the ownership of the site, but as far as I'm concerned, far better football - and community spirit - rather than greyhound racing (= animal abuse, in my opinion).
    http://www.actionforgreyhounds.co.uk/
    Anyway, let's not get sidetracked here. This is a campaign for a football club to return home, by the fans, for the community. Keep the support coming, please.

Tripe by the way, greyhounds love racing, chasing hares (real or mechanical) is what they live for and they will be some of the best looked after dogs in the country. These dogs wouldn't exist if it wasn't for racing, and anyone who is against it clearly hasn't been around the sport enough to know how the dogs are treated. My parents owned a racing greyhound and I can tell you he was one pampered and spoilt dog!

He used to run at Catford in the early 90's, Funny Fluff was his name
  • Options
    Done
  • Options
    If 20000 of their fans turned up every other week would probably be still playing at Selhurst . They chose to stay at home though and let their club die.
  • Options
    keep the dog track and let the football club find a new home
  • Options

Is there a reason why there could not be dog racing and football at the same ground?
    MrOneLung said:

If 20000 of their fans turned up every other week would probably be still playing at Selhurst . They chose to stay at home though and let their club die.

Each club has it's own level of support. If Wimbledon's natural level of support is about 3000, they should be allowed to find their normal level which would probably been in the third or fourth tiers of football.

Arguing that they did not get enough support to be viable is a dangerous proposition for a Charlton fan, given that we do not balance the books as things stand. Surely you are not suggesting we too should be moved to somewhere more profitable?

• Options
    Done. Cousins have lived in Wimbledon all their lives & are huge fans. Would love to see a way for the greyhound track to be retained. Given Wimbledon's likely, lowish, attendance levels, I would think there must be a way to design a stand suitable for entertaining fans of both.
  • Options
    Done
  • Options
    Keep the dog track. Not signed.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I would miss the dog track and the pub on Kingston Road if the Dons left Kingstonian. Hopefuly they can find a site elsewhere
  • Options
    MrOneLung said:

Like we did you mean? Knock off a zero and you'd be close to our efforts. We can't really have a go at another clubs attendances whilst squatting at Selhurst. Especially seeing as they were a much smaller team historically and support base wise.

• Options
    But we fought to get back. They had the premiership which was different beast to top flight we were in. We were up there at the nadir of football. Man utd were getting crowds in mid thirties.
  • Options
    I live in wimbledon. I own a property near plough lane but dont live in it. Parking and traffic for a football match would be a nightmare and make charlton's premiership after match
  • Options

I live in wimbledon. I own a property near plough lane but dont live in it. Parking and traffic for a football match would be a nightmare and make charlton's premiership after match look free flowing in comparison.
    I cant see them getting permission to go back and develop the site particularly with st georges only 2 mins awsy.

• Options
    Off_it said:

These
  • Options
    shine166 said:

Off_it said:

These
    same
  • Options
    shirty5 said:

I would miss the dog track and the pub on Kingston Road if the Dons left Kingstonian. Hopefuly they can find a site elsewhere

The Peel ? I went to Uni in Kingston and that place was always an enjoyable visit on a night out !
  • Options
    I can fully understand wanting to be located in Wimbledon, but as they've never played at Plough lane, I can't really understand why they want to...........................
  • Options
    No way.

Dogs not Dons!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Done.
  • Options
    Done
  • Options
    Lovely dog stadium and so few left now.
  • Options

Lovely dog stadium and so few left now.

The dog stadium is a dump. It looks like it has been condemned.

However, the "inside" bit, where you go is decent.

I go a couple of times a year & think it should stay or combine it somehow, with the footie team.
  • Options
    Done
  • Options
    I don't know if my mind is playing tricks on me but I'm sure I remember going to watch Maidstone utd and after the football ended there was an evening greyhound meeting.
  • Options
    AFC W*mbledon... horrible club, horrible fans.... don't ask me to explain, done so far too many times on here before.
  • Options
    Whats gonna happen to Kingstonian FC once AFC leave? Dont AFC own the Kingsmeadow ground?