Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Anelka's 'Quenelle' .. W B A Given an Ultimatum by Their Sponsors

13»

Comments

• Options
    Anelka has asked the FA to drop the charge in a way that you would politely refuse a second helping of pudding and Dieudonne has been nicked in relation to an assault on a bailiff; he owes the French government shed loads apparently.
  • Options
    I had a conversation about this today and learnt the following:

1. The 'quenelle' is apparently an anti-establishment gesture. The person I was speaking to claimed to have been to at least one Dieudonné act, and he started doing this some time ago. The distance from which the hand is placed from the wrist indicates the distance that you are placing your arm up the other person's arse. At first Dieudonné placed his hand just above the wrist and then gradually he has moved it further and further up his arm (which I guess is where the comedy lies).

2. Dieudonné is not anti-sematic but is anti Jew-lobbying. In other words he is not against Jews as such but is merely highlighting their power in French politics, saying that this power and influence is wrong. Personally I haven't a clue about this: I'm just relaying what I was told.

3. I thought that Dieudonné was stirring things up for publicity. However it is true that he has had so many gigs cancelled now that he must be losing more than he is gaining. Just what is this all about?
  • Options
    Right. It's just "anti-establishment". I get it.
    I imagine that's exactly what the multi-millionaire Anelka is thinking as he's driving his Rolls Royce to training in the morning.
  • Options
    Chizz said:

I imagine that's exactly what the multi-millionaire Anelka is thinking as he's driving his Rolls Royce to training in the morning.

He might consider driving a Rolls Royce as anti-establishment ;-

The thing is though that 'anti-establishment' is kind of the in thing to be in France. Surely you must have worked out that striking and demonstrating is a pastime in this country. People seem to make a week-end of it ffs. I wouldn't mind if they didn't get in everyone else's way. The latest trend is 'operation escargot' which involves blocking the roads and stopping everyone else go about their daily lives. Do people get annoyed with the perpetrators? No, because it is their right and 'good for them.'

I don't think you 'get it' at all because you don't live in France. I've been here for ten years and I still don't bloody 'get it!'

• Options

Chizz said:

The thing is though that 'anti-establishment' is kind of the in thing to be in France. Surely you must have worked out that striking and demonstrating is a pastime in this country. People seem to make a week-end of it ffs. I wouldn't mind if they didn't get in everyone else's way. The latest trend is 'operation escargot' which involves blocking the roads and stopping everyone else go about their daily lives. Do people get annoyed with the perpetrators? No, because it is their right and 'good for them.'

I don't think you 'get it' at all because you don't live in France. I've been here for ten years and I still don't bloody 'get it!'

I "get it" cos I live here an all! ; )
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    BIG_ROB said:

Chizz said:

I "get it" cos I live here an all! ; )
    it's the hangover spirit from the 1787 Revolution mon amis .. liberté, égalité, fraternité
  • Options

Have the Black Lawyers Association disbanded?
    They had a lot to say about Terry and Suarez, but their silence over the Anelka issue is deafening.

Only deafening if you put your fingers in your ears. They've come out pretty strongly against Anelka.

Still a bunch of Herberts though.

• Options

Alleged to have instructed a firm of Tottenham based solicitors to defend him against the FA charge. Rumoured that the defence will be that he was reclaiming the gesture.
  • Options

Alleged to have instructed a firm of Tottenham based solicitors to defend him against the FA charge. Rumoured that the defence will be that he was reclaiming the gesture.

I wonder if the lawyers are Jewish .. and reclaiming 'le gesture' from who ... anti-jewish groups ? ..interesting that when careers and money are potentially at stake, some of the 'revolutionaries' and 'the brotherhoods' change their tune .. or should the metaphor be that 'the wolves don sheep's clothing' for the short term
  • Options
    Confirmed: Nicolas Anelka given a five-match ban and fined £80,000 by the FA
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Utterly, utterly ridiculous and pathetic. If the FA have decided that his gesture is anti-Semitic, then a five-match ban isn't anywhere close to being long enough.

And if they *haven't* decided it's anti-Semitic, he should be exonerated.

Stupid, lazy, self-serving fudge.
  • Options
    OK a 5 match ban, but, £80,000 will be peanuts to him and no financial deterrent. Hope, however he keeps his abuse off the pitch in future.
  • Options

OK a 5 match ban, but, £80,000 will be peanuts to him and no financial deterrent. Hope, however he keeps his abuse off the pitch in future.

NO!
  • Options
    "Clearing up verdict confusion. FA found Anelka quenelle to be "abusive and/or indecent and/or insulting and/or improper" but not antisemitic"

Apparently Anelka's defense was that he wasn't aware that the gesture was antisemitic.
  • Options

"Clearing up verdict confusion. FA found Anelka quenelle to be "abusive and/or indecent and/or insulting and/or improper" but not antisemitic"

Apparently Anelka's defense was that he wasn't aware that the gesture was antisemitic.

I cannot imagine anything clearer. Thank you, FA, for making this clearer and/or harder to understand and/or less clear and/or obfuscated.

• Options
    FA should have gone to town on this issue. The gesture is widely perceived as encouraging hatred to Jewish people and making its use a way of celebrating a goal is a deliberate statement. I won't use the phrases anti Semitic since is just a way of dressing up hatred as a legitimate political opinion.

Nearly as angry as when a former Charlton player (now poor manager) kept giving fascist salutes!

People need to continue to remember what happened during the holocaust, and in the Balkans in the 90's, and in Rwanda, and in Armenia, and the list goes on..........

• Options
    Let's be clear on this - Dieudonne is a scumbag, plain and simple.

Ormiston Addick your diatribe against AIPAC, the Jewish lobby, Israel, etc., was amusing but hardly relevant. Quite perplexing that you can brush a statement suggesting a Jewish journalist be sent to the gas chambers aside as merely 'being out of order in some of what he's said'. Delivered with a healthy dose of understatement.

As far as I'm concerned Anelka and Dieudonne can quenelle each other all night long behind closed doors, if that's what tickles their fancy.
  • Options
    Utterly illogical but no surprise. FA trying to placate everyone, a bit, and consequently satisfying no-one at all.
  • Options
    walking across campus in the week I found a bunch of students with PLO flags had set up an 'Israeli checkpoint' in the middle of the busiest walkway, they were allowed to do it as it was a political protest. If I was jewish I would have punched the stuck up feckers.
  • Options
    Didn't realise ignorance was a defence. Excited at all the opportunities this opens up in my life.

FA bottle job, once again.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

walking across campus in the week I found a bunch of students with PLO flags had set up an 'Israeli checkpoint' in the middle of the busiest walkway, they were allowed to do it as it was a political protest. If I was jewish I would have punched the stuck up feckers.

Protesting against Israel doesn't make them antisemitic.