Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Comments

• Front rank, fire!!!
  • Thousands of em !!
  • UKIP ad
  • It's got Enoch Powell's best mate in it Chief Buthelesi.
  • Massively overrated film IMHO, 7/10.
  • edited January 2014
    Great Bank Holiday passtime. 9/10.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0058777/?ref_=nv_sr_2
  • I'm ashamed to say I've never seen Zulu

• Classic ..one of the best films ever made
  • There was a bloke who used to call Dotun Adebayo on radio 5 upallnight on weekends who was in the film, think he lives Blackheath, both Charlton fans and used to comment on us during his calls.
  • There was a bloke who used to call Dotun Adebayo on radio 5 upallnight on weekends who was in the film, think he lives Blackheath, both Charlton fans and used to comment on us during his calls.

There's a Charlton fan from Greenwich who still calls in, sounds like an old boy - might it be him you're referring to ?
  • Sponsored links:

• edited January 2014

Massively overrated film IMHO, 7/10.

According to Henry this should be on the player rating thread ;-)
  • 50 ? Surely not. My dad took me to see it at the pictures...
  • Classic British film which started Michael Caine on the road to stardom.

Being a Charlton supporter the lines I always remember are:
    'Why us, Sarge?'
    'Because we're here lad, nobody else. Just us'.
  • "Don't you realise, can't you see, YOU'RE ALL GOING TO DIE!"
  • 'Mr. Off_it, be quiet now, there's a good gentleman. You'll upset the lads'.
  • edited January 2017
    Something else for @Off_it. Spotted in Beckenham....
  • One for the military tacticians.....

Did the Zulus make a fuck of it?

4,000 of them.....why didn't they completely surround Rorke's Drift and all steam in, in one go? How many shots would the British get off successfully before being totally engulfed?

Game over in about 5 minutes.
  • Simonsen said:

One for the military tacticians.....

That proper made me chuckle......our very own Sun Tzu.
  • Simonsen said:

4,000 of them.....why didn't they completely surround Rorke's Drift and all steam in, in one go? How many shots would the British get off successfully before being totally engulfed?

Maybe they'd done a deal for the movie rights.
  • Spit boy, spit !
  • Sponsored links:

• Spit boy, spit !

George Michael was in it? Well i never.
  • edited February 2017
    Simonsen said:

They had won a much bigger battle in the morning against a larger force.

Roukes Drift wasn't that important to them, they'd lost a lot of men and a relief column was coming.

Taking nothing away from the bravery of the defenders but the British Army talked up Rourke's Drift to deflect attention from the very embarrassing defeat in the morning. It's mentioned in the film, something like "the army doesn't like two disasters on the same day as it looks bad in the morning papers"
  • edited January 2017
    Some great myths about Rorkes Drift.

Firstly, they were mostly Brummies not Welsh. Only 15% had any Welsh connections.

Rather than singing 'Men of Harlech' they were more likely to sing 'The Warwickshire Lads' which was the Regimental march.

I won't even start with the Zulu's actually using the Martini Henry rifles supposedly taken from the dead bodies of the British troops after the defeat at Isandhlwana.

And the final salute to the Brits at Rorkes drift? Let's just call it for what it was.

A brilliant ending to a brillliant film, which I never tire of watching.
  • Michael Caine a legend, artistic license or not it's a great film and Men of Harlech still gives me goosebumps
  • Simonsen said:

They had won a much bigger battle in the morning against a larger force.

Exactly. They should've been on a roll!
  • Didn't the film makers have to apologise to the fily of Henry hook, who was actually a model soldier?

Great film, if not entirely accurate
  • First film my Dad took me to see at the Odeon Bromley. It was a special screening I think as the film had been out a few years before.

It was a pretty powerful film for young lad - I guess I was around 10 at the time.

Seen it a few times since. I still have a sinking feeling remembering the first time I saw it.
  • Great film, made famous because it's the only film in which Micheal Caine didn't play himself