Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Tal Ben Haim

Comments

• Options
    I'd be happy with Haim being third/fourth choice with Lennon and Gomez getting a game here and there as sub and in the cups, maybe a loan too, but wouldn't be happy if Haim is going to be one of the two first choice centre halves. Need someone to compliment Morro.
  • Options
    The last slow 30 year old, international CB who'd played in a champions league final and also played for standard liege we had come in didn't work out too bad for a season........
  • Options
    @Charltonparklane‌
    Who was that? Will probably kick myself if you say who...
  • Options
    Jorge costa
  • Options
    Greenie said:

seth plum said:

Greenie said:

seth plum said:

seth plum said:

seth plum said:

I want to repeat something I've said (too often) before. We are not a feeder club, that is accepted, and we must not use that phrase in a muddled way.

However there is a lot, a great deal of, loads of even, of evidence that we are going to basically be a reserve team, or a convalescence centre, or a rehabilitation place, or a holding pen for players to get their fitness up, or make their stats look better WITH LITTLE OR NO REGARD AS TO THE RESULTS ACHIEVED BY CHARLTON ATHLETIC. As in if we scrape by and stay up that is enough.

I hope to goodness I am wrong, I really do hope to goodness I am wrong but I have heard on the quiet that results don't matter compared with the stuff I have written above, and then there is the actual evidence of what we know has taken place.
    Vetokele and PP are on long contracts so the value of the player is the resource to be deployed by RD.... they are essentially parked at Charlton.

PP himself, and Reza, and Astrid...and Loic, and Anil, and Thuram could all be said to have been sent to us for their benefit, not for our benefit, and Ben Haim is cluttering up the place at Liege so might as well park him over here.

I hope to goodness I am wrong, but no way are we a feeder club for the teams in the network, no way at all based on the evidence, but we are going to be a player farm/rehabilitation clinic/holding pen so that money can be generated from individual player development rather than team success.

sorry but what a pile of crap, 'I've heard on the quiet that results don't matter'
    Others have posted stuff like me that also amounts to hearsay I admit to that.

I have dismissed a lot of what I have heard, but the mounting evidence is pointing in the direction that results won't matter that much. Anyway within my pile of crap I have repeated that I hope I am wrong, so Elthamaddick you don't need to get too worried about my contribution, which you have responded to in such an erudite and developed way.

With Southampton pocketing a small fortune for Shaw and Lalana you can see that it is possible to make money from player sales, maybe more possible than getting into the premier league. Indeed Cardiff gambled on the prem and it looks as if the subsequent windfall is not the solution for them necessarily, have they got tons of lucrative playing assets to sell now?

Yes 'results don't matter' is wrong in one way, unless you reverse the Crystal palace maxim that winning is everything. maybe results do matter, but only after financial restraint, player development, Academy exploitation and then, oh yes, results for the first team as a lower priority.

Maybe I should have written 'results do matter, but not that much'.

Mounting evidence?
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tal_Ben_Haim

I suppose the mounting evidence as I see it (looking on wiki) is that he is indeed cluttering up the place at Standard de Liege, and it is convenient to ship him out to Charlton.
    I have made no reference as to whether he is, or will be, any good or not, but he is not particularly well used in Liege so he comes to us. Very much like the Standard bloke said in January (van de Saart?). So in that context if we sign Ben Haim to me it looks like mounting evidence that we can be treated like a reserve team.

I repeat, I hope I am wrong.
    Again no evidence just your negative opinion. Who says he's 'cluttering up the place at Standard de Liege'? You do, no one else. So STILL no 'mounting evidence' that we are treated like a reserve team, absolutely none, except in your head.
    Why do people post such utter BS?
    Yes it is indeed my opinion which you see as negative, indeed you see as 'utter BS'. I have described what I think is evidence and in your (positive?) opinion you think I am wrong.

So there we have it. We each have an opinion, and I am guessing here, but possibly you think he was a vital part of the Standard de Liege set up, and we are indeed fortunate to have him.

It seems as if my posts today have touched some nerves.
    Is it because if there is some credence that Charlton Athletic are a reserve set up then some of you wouldn't like it?
    The concept of reserve set ups...'B' teams, is all over everywhere at the moment, so it does not take many leaps to imagine that Charlton Athletic could become a glorified 'B' team.
    I repeat that I hope I am wrong, but if I am mainly right, we would become a bit of a laughing stock like Watford to the wider footballing world.
    It is negative because you have no proof, it is bullshit, well because you made it up. You're guessing and scaremongering. Read back from your opening post, its all quoted here.
    Its just poison.
    No I am not guessing and scaremongering, I am reaching a conclusion, yes an opinion, based on the evidence as it seems to me, isn't that what many people do?
    Why be scared anyway, there seem to be some Charlton supporters around who would be content if we were a reserve/'B' team?
  • Options
    seth plum said:

Greenie said:

seth plum said:

Greenie said:

seth plum said:

seth plum said:

seth plum said:

I want to repeat something I've said (too often) before. We are not a feeder club, that is accepted, and we must not use that phrase in a muddled way.

However there is a lot, a great deal of, loads of even, of evidence that we are going to basically be a reserve team, or a convalescence centre, or a rehabilitation place, or a holding pen for players to get their fitness up, or make their stats look better WITH LITTLE OR NO REGARD AS TO THE RESULTS ACHIEVED BY CHARLTON ATHLETIC. As in if we scrape by and stay up that is enough.

I hope to goodness I am wrong, I really do hope to goodness I am wrong but I have heard on the quiet that results don't matter compared with the stuff I have written above, and then there is the actual evidence of what we know has taken place.
    Vetokele and PP are on long contracts so the value of the player is the resource to be deployed by RD.... they are essentially parked at Charlton.

PP himself, and Reza, and Astrid...and Loic, and Anil, and Thuram could all be said to have been sent to us for their benefit, not for our benefit, and Ben Haim is cluttering up the place at Liege so might as well park him over here.

I hope to goodness I am wrong, but no way are we a feeder club for the teams in the network, no way at all based on the evidence, but we are going to be a player farm/rehabilitation clinic/holding pen so that money can be generated from individual player development rather than team success.

sorry but what a pile of crap, 'I've heard on the quiet that results don't matter'

I have dismissed a lot of what I have heard, but the mounting evidence is pointing in the direction that results won't matter that much. Anyway within my pile of crap I have repeated that I hope I am wrong, so Elthamaddick you don't need to get too worried about my contribution, which you have responded to in such an erudite and developed way.

With Southampton pocketing a small fortune for Shaw and Lalana you can see that it is possible to make money from player sales, maybe more possible than getting into the premier league. Indeed Cardiff gambled on the prem and it looks as if the subsequent windfall is not the solution for them necessarily, have they got tons of lucrative playing assets to sell now?

Yes 'results don't matter' is wrong in one way, unless you reverse the Crystal palace maxim that winning is everything. maybe results do matter, but only after financial restraint, player development, Academy exploitation and then, oh yes, results for the first team as a lower priority.

Mounting evidence?

I suppose the mounting evidence as I see it (looking on wiki) is that he is indeed cluttering up the place at Standard de Liege, and it is convenient to ship him out to Charlton.
    I have made no reference as to whether he is, or will be, any good or not, but he is not particularly well used in Liege so he comes to us. Very much like the Standard bloke said in January (van de Saart?). So in that context if we sign Ben Haim to me it looks like mounting evidence that we can be treated like a reserve team.

Again no evidence just your negative opinion. Who says he's 'cluttering up the place at Standard de Liege'? You do, no one else. So STILL no 'mounting evidence' that we are treated like a reserve team, absolutely none, except in your head.
    Yes it is indeed my opinion which you see as negative, indeed you see as 'utter BS'. I have described what I think is evidence and in your (positive?) opinion you think I am wrong.

So there we have it. We each have an opinion, and I am guessing here, but possibly you think he was a vital part of the Standard de Liege set up, and we are indeed fortunate to have him.

Is it because if there is some credence that Charlton Athletic are a reserve set up then some of you wouldn't like it?
    The concept of reserve set ups...'B' teams, is all over everywhere at the moment, so it does not take many leaps to imagine that Charlton Athletic could become a glorified 'B' team.
    I repeat that I hope I am wrong, but if I am mainly right, we would become a bit of a laughing stock like Watford to the wider footballing world.
    It is negative because you have no proof, it is bullshit, well because you made it up. You're guessing and scaremongering. Read back from your opening post, its all quoted here.
    Its just poison.
    No I am not guessing and scaremongering, I am reaching a conclusion, yes an opinion, based on the evidence as it seems to me, isn't that what many people do?
    Why be scared anyway, there seem to be some Charlton supporters around who would be content if we were a reserve/'B' team?
    I'm sorry but I just don't see how the (possible) signing of one defender can be spun into 'we are a reserve/B team', it just doesn't fit. All the work done refurbishing the Valley stadium as a whole, not just the pitch, genuinely exciting signings in Moussa and Vetokele, a proven midfielder in Buyens, Morrison on a new contract, why bother with all of that for a simple reserve outfit? It doesn't fit to me, at all. An experienced CB was needed now Wood decided to move on - so we hear of interest in Ben Haim. Seems perfectly logical to me.
  • Options
    I really do not see how signing Ben Haim is a negative. Unless we are planning on him and Morrison with Gomez and Lennon back up. Which is slow and inexperienced respectively. We need a partner for Morrison, Ben Haim third choice and Lennon fourth choice. Would be very happy with that.
  • Options
    As 3rd choice I can deal with it......as a starter......we're shipping shit loads of goals.
  • Options
    Thing is that your third and fourth choice CBs have to be ready to play.

As we say last season our first choice, Cort, was out injured so Dervite and Wood both got games.

If we sign TBH then he has be at a level to play league games as Wood was.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited July 2014

I really do not see how signing Ben Haim is a negative. Unless we are planning on him and Morrison with Gomez and Lennon back up. Which is slow and inexperienced respectively. We need a partner for Morrison, Ben Haim third choice and Lennon fourth choice. Would be very happy with that.

As 3rd choice I can deal with it......as a starter......we're shipping shit loads of goals.

I agree, and I have always maintained I see Ben Haim coming in (if indeed he does) as a literal replacement for Wood - a bit of experience and aerial ability to bring off the bench, and as cover for cup games/injuries/suspensions, but I expect another signing as a direct replacement for Dervite - someone to partner Morrison as first choice pairing at the back. I just think some people are reading far too much into one (possible, unconfirmed) signing here.
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    seth plum said:

Greenie said:

seth plum said:

Greenie said:

seth plum said:

seth plum said:

seth plum said:

Mounting evidence?

Its just poison.
    I'm not doing it anymore. Its a waste of time and energy. I despair I really do.
  • Options
    There is a reason why we are 9/5 on for relegation with the bookies and this might be it .
  • Options
    seth plum said:

Correct me if I'm wrong Seth, but this opinion is based following first-hand conversations with Duchatelet's advisors in the CAFC boardroom.

In which case, it might not be an opinion you agree with, but its certainly one to at least consider.

Only once been in the boardroom, and yes one of the guys I spoke to was not especially explicit, but was there with Karel Fraeye and was a stats bloke, the conversation was wide ranging, but it was of the type that when you look at subsequent events what was said originally takes on a different aspect.
    I have also heard the 'results don't matter' angle put to me from a less attributable source, and there is Alex Dyers 'Geoffrey Howe' leaving interview to add to the mix.

I really hope I am wrong about where the priorities lie, and I suspect the truth is more muddied and organic than black and white, where expediency can push a set plan to the side.

I simply want to be sure that the whole Charlton Athletic playing enterprise is about trying to score goals, win matches, get points and climb the table when I attend the matches I have paid in advance for, but still there remains the nagging doubts or perhaps I am also engaged in the search for oohaah's lost mojo.

I'm hoping we're detecting a bit of a sea change in RD's priorities though. If the reported fee for Igor is in any way accurate then - unless it's a smart way round European FFP regulations and essentially a temporary storage facility for promising players - perhaps the ambition for Charlton has changed a bit. More so, perhaps, Buyens - who played more than half of SL's games last year, is on the fringes of the Belgian squad and is a bit of a fan favourite by all accounts.

Time will indeed tell - if Ezekiel walks up soon then I'll start to be convinced - but it does seem we're getting a better standard of player into the club, and that's hardly harming us even if they're not here forever (but who is).
  • Options

Is this fella going to be a first teamer or back up like wood?

Do people think we've signed a donut or a diamond?

• Options

anyone know a Pompey fan whose opinion of Ben Haim they can ask?

As someone who works in Portsmouth, my colleagues general opinion is...

1) Mercenary
    2) Good Player
    3) Would do a job at Championship level.
    4) Reads the game well
    In that order?
  • Options

Thing is that your third and fourth choice CBs have to be ready to play.

As we say last season our first choice, Cort, was out injured so Dervite and Wood both got games.

If we sign TBH then he has be at a level to play league games as Wood was.

Exactly. And I think he very well could be at least as good as Wood and Cort at this level - he's still only 32.

This is a player who spent a long time in the Premiership, and did very well for Bolton and, in particular, Chelsea where he typically had to compete with Carvalho, Alex and Terry. His playing career was disrupted at Portsmouth by the unpaid wages wrangle - not many of us would walk away being owed £1.4m - and whilst the last couple of years have been a write off that doesn't mean the good player isn't lurking within.

I think we should give him a chance, personally. Give him a proper pre-season and he might get back to being the player he once was. If he does, none of us will complain. If he doesn't, he probably won't be in the first team will he - and it's not as if we're throwing a big transfer fee at it.
  • Options
    Although it is disturbing that there's a Belgium fast food chain - Quick -
    going large on the donuts this summer.
    Or, if you prefer:

• Options
    Greenie said:

seth plum said:

Greenie said:

seth plum said:

Greenie said:

seth plum said:

seth plum said:

seth plum said:

Mounting evidence?

Its just poison.
    I'm not doing it anymore. Its a waste of time and energy.
    Then something good has come out of this.
  • Options
    We haven't seen him play in England for a good while but when we did jeesus H christ he was pony. The very last thing we need dawdling around in our back 4 is a '32 year old never as good as he thought he was' flotsam from the mothership. As well as leaking goals he'll be bunging up the squad and wasting precious funds.
    I hope to goodness this is lazy journalists putting 2 and 2 together and coming up with 3.5
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    What amazes me is that there are more comments on this thread based on unsubstantiated rumour than there are on Moussa's thread who HAS signed.
  • Options
    seth plum said:

Buyens is on loan.

I know Seth mate

• Options
    Uboat said:

Greenie said:

seth plum said:

Greenie said:

seth plum said:

Greenie said:

seth plum said:

seth plum said:

seth plum said:

Mounting evidence?

Its just poison.
    I'm not doing it anymore. Its a waste of time and energy.
    Then something good has come out of this.
    And your point is...?
  • Options
    bobmunro said:

What amazes me is that there are more comments on this thread based on unsubstantiated rumour than there are on Moussa's thread who HAS signed.

Bring on the donuts! :-0

• Options
    bobmunro said:

Yeah but it's much harder to turn Moussa's signing anti-RD.
  • Options
    thenewbie said:

bobmunro said:

So fair the only complaints I've seen are 1) He's still Belgian and 2) he's from a League 1 team!

By the time log back in at work tomorrow, I bet there are some proper corkers!!

• Options
    If we do sign him it can only be good news for Simon Church as it looks like the usual mob might have a a different player to slag off relentlessly.
  • Options
    thenewbie said:

bobmunro said:

or, just a thought - more people are ok with that signing compared to thought of TBH signing for us.
  • Options
    MrOneLung said:

thenewbie said:

bobmunro said:

or, just a thought - more people are ok with that signing compared to thought of TBH signing for us.
    Sure - but one is a done deal, the other is based on one comment by some no-name nobody on twitter with no particular credibility that I can see. Yet people are happy to say that IF Ben Haim does sign it is a sign we're being used as a feeder club/reserve squad. The actual signing who discredits that theory... they ignore. Just a thought.
  • Options
    il ava couple of doughnuts down the valley.

bring on the cheese.