Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Tal Ben Haim

Comments

• Options
    Experienced CB...charlton have a bad history with that sort.

Hes gana be slow, un-motivated, wage dependant and "ive got premierleague experience" arrogent.

No thanks.
  • Options
    Wish we'd have got Ben Taim Hal...

Tal Ben Haim, splitter!
  • Options

seth plum said:

seth plum said:

I want to repeat something I've said (too often) before. We are not a feeder club, that is accepted, and we must not use that phrase in a muddled way.

However there is a lot, a great deal of, loads of even, of evidence that we are going to basically be a reserve team, or a convalescence centre, or a rehabilitation place, or a holding pen for players to get their fitness up, or make their stats look better WITH LITTLE OR NO REGARD AS TO THE RESULTS ACHIEVED BY CHARLTON ATHLETIC. As in if we scrape by and stay up that is enough.

I hope to goodness I am wrong, I really do hope to goodness I am wrong but I have heard on the quiet that results don't matter compared with the stuff I have written above, and then there is the actual evidence of what we know has taken place.
    Vetokele and PP are on long contracts so the value of the player is the resource to be deployed by RD.... they are essentially parked at Charlton.

PP himself, and Reza, and Astrid...and Loic, and Anil, and Thuram could all be said to have been sent to us for their benefit, not for our benefit, and Ben Haim is cluttering up the place at Liege so might as well park him over here.

I hope to goodness I am wrong, but no way are we a feeder club for the teams in the network, no way at all based on the evidence, but we are going to be a player farm/rehabilitation clinic/holding pen so that money can be generated from individual player development rather than team success.

sorry but what a pile of crap, 'I've heard on the quiet that results don't matter'
    Others have posted stuff like me that also amounts to hearsay I admit to that.

I have dismissed a lot of what I have heard, but the mounting evidence is pointing in the direction that results won't matter that much. Anyway within my pile of crap I have repeated that I hope I am wrong, so Elthamaddick you don't need to get too worried about my contribution, which you have responded to in such an erudite and developed way.

With Southampton pocketing a small fortune for Shaw and Lalana you can see that it is possible to make money from player sales, maybe more possible than getting into the premier league. Indeed Cardiff gambled on the prem and it looks as if the subsequent windfall is not the solution for them necessarily, have they got tons of lucrative playing assets to sell now?

Yes 'results don't matter' is wrong in one way, unless you reverse the Crystal palace maxim that winning is everything. maybe results do matter, but only after financial restraint, player development, Academy exploitation and then, oh yes, results for the first team as a lower priority.

Maybe I should have written 'results do matter, but not that much'.

Mounting evidence?
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tal_Ben_Haim

I suppose the mounting evidence as I see it (looking on wiki) is that he is indeed cluttering up the place at Standard de Liege, and it is convenient to ship him out to Charlton.
    I have made no reference as to whether he is, or will be, any good or not, but he is not particularly well used in Liege so he comes to us. Very much like the Standard bloke said in January (van de Saart?). So in that context if we sign Ben Haim to me it looks like mounting evidence that we can be treated like a reserve team.

I repeat, I hope I am wrong.
  • Options
    Maybe we can't get/afford anyone else. Maybe he'll work out OK. Maybe he's just cover. Maybe he's excess to requirements at SL. Who knows. He's experienced, has played in English football. He's 6 ft tall....lets give him a chance (assuming it even happens).
  • Options
    I said we need a good 22-23 year old up and coming cb! Preferably in the ball playing defender role to compliment the no nonsense Morrisson... but we also need someone more experienced preferably on a free as cover incase Lennon gomez Osborne fail to make the step up this year or are judged not ready! TBH could fill that role!
  • Options
    Maybe he will do a Christian Dailly and get player of the year.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    We'll be the smallest ever club he has played for, so he must have some pedigree that is worth us looking at.
  • Options
    seth plum said:

seth plum said:

seth plum said:

I want to repeat something I've said (too often) before. We are not a feeder club, that is accepted, and we must not use that phrase in a muddled way.

However there is a lot, a great deal of, loads of even, of evidence that we are going to basically be a reserve team, or a convalescence centre, or a rehabilitation place, or a holding pen for players to get their fitness up, or make their stats look better WITH LITTLE OR NO REGARD AS TO THE RESULTS ACHIEVED BY CHARLTON ATHLETIC. As in if we scrape by and stay up that is enough.

I hope to goodness I am wrong, I really do hope to goodness I am wrong but I have heard on the quiet that results don't matter compared with the stuff I have written above, and then there is the actual evidence of what we know has taken place.
    Vetokele and PP are on long contracts so the value of the player is the resource to be deployed by RD.... they are essentially parked at Charlton.

PP himself, and Reza, and Astrid...and Loic, and Anil, and Thuram could all be said to have been sent to us for their benefit, not for our benefit, and Ben Haim is cluttering up the place at Liege so might as well park him over here.

I hope to goodness I am wrong, but no way are we a feeder club for the teams in the network, no way at all based on the evidence, but we are going to be a player farm/rehabilitation clinic/holding pen so that money can be generated from individual player development rather than team success.

sorry but what a pile of crap, 'I've heard on the quiet that results don't matter'

I have dismissed a lot of what I have heard, but the mounting evidence is pointing in the direction that results won't matter that much. Anyway within my pile of crap I have repeated that I hope I am wrong, so Elthamaddick you don't need to get too worried about my contribution, which you have responded to in such an erudite and developed way.

With Southampton pocketing a small fortune for Shaw and Lalana you can see that it is possible to make money from player sales, maybe more possible than getting into the premier league. Indeed Cardiff gambled on the prem and it looks as if the subsequent windfall is not the solution for them necessarily, have they got tons of lucrative playing assets to sell now?

Yes 'results don't matter' is wrong in one way, unless you reverse the Crystal palace maxim that winning is everything. maybe results do matter, but only after financial restraint, player development, Academy exploitation and then, oh yes, results for the first team as a lower priority.

Mounting evidence?

I suppose the mounting evidence as I see it (looking on wiki) is that he is indeed cluttering up the place at Standard de Liege, and it is convenient to ship him out to Charlton.
    I have made no reference as to whether he is, or will be, any good or not, but he is not particularly well used in Liege so he comes to us. Very much like the Standard bloke said in January (van de Saart?). So in that context if we sign Ben Haim to me it looks like mounting evidence that we can be treated like a reserve team.

Again no evidence just your negative opinion. Who says he's 'cluttering up the place at Standard de Liege'? You do, no one else. So STILL no 'mounting evidence' that we are treated like a reserve team, absolutely none, except in your head.
    Why do people post such utter BS?
  • Options
    please, nooooooooooo.....
  • Options
    Is this just a sole twitter rumour by someone with few followers or is there further mounting evidence out there somewhere? I cant find anything else linking him to us
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    TBH's agent has played a blinder here if true. Haven't we had enough of players that aren't good enough for Standard Liege?
  • Options
    Is Llera still a free agent?
  • Options

How Tal is he?

*Applauds*

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    good read vg, if he possessed the necessary, then yes, for me, it would definitely help my appraisal, instead tbh is from is-it-real(no).
  • Options
    thenewbie said:

seth plum said:

seth plum said:

seth plum said:

Mounting evidence?

That is NOT mounting evidence. That is one single solitary example of a club that no longer needs a particular CB passing said CB onto another club, who needs one. Just like every single professional football club in the world actually does, twice a year. In counter argument I give you Buyens - experienced and until last year a mainstay and respected member of the Liege team, highly rated by those who have seen him play - and Vetokele - again a very highly rated and promising young striker, signed directly to Charlton and not any part of loan hijinks. He signed for us, he will play for us, in the coming season at least.

The only evidence I see mounting is that some Charlton fans are not going to be convinced that Duchatelet is anything other than an actively malevolent fiend seeking to destroy our club for profit and fun.
    There is nothing I have written that indicates that I am a Charlton fan who thinks that 'Duchatelet is.... an actively malevolent fiend seeking to destroy our club for profit and fun.'.

Indeed I have bought a season ticket so have put my money into the enterprise.

I certainly take your point about the 'single solitary example', although previously we have not taken so many players from one club in as short a space of time as we have from Liege, so maybe each of those players has been the perfect fit...or it is convenient for errrrm 'wider' reasons that we take so many from one club?

• Options
    edited July 2014
    Greenie said:

seth plum said:

seth plum said:

seth plum said:

Mounting evidence?

Again no evidence just your negative opinion. Who says he's 'cluttering up the place at Standard de Liege'? You do, no one else. So STILL no 'mounting evidence' that we are treated like a reserve team, absolutely none, except in your head.
    Why do people post such utter BS?
    Yes it is indeed my opinion which you see as negative, indeed you see as 'utter BS'. I have described what I think is evidence and in your (positive?) opinion you think I am wrong.

So there we have it. We each have an opinion, and I am guessing here, but possibly you think he was a vital part of the Standard de Liege set up, and we are indeed fortunate to have him.

It seems as if my posts today have touched some nerves.
    Is it because if there is some credence that Charlton Athletic are a reserve set up then some of you wouldn't like it?
    The concept of reserve set ups...'B' teams, is all over everywhere at the moment, so it does not take many leaps to imagine that Charlton Athletic could become a glorified 'B' team.
    I repeat that I hope I am wrong, but if I am mainly right, we would become a bit of a laughing stock like Watford to the wider footballing world.
  • Options
    To be fair he has only made 10 appearances for liege since he joined in 2013. Hardly a vital player for them. But I do think his experience will benefit our current squad
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    Seth, you haven't touched a nerve, but you can't say things like there's mounting evidence that CAFC results won't matter next season, and expect people to not find those comments a little strange.

Regardless of Ben Haim, what else have you got to support this claim?

With the signings of Ventekele, Buyens and potentially Ezekiel, it would seem results are very important and some Charlton fans are now wondering if RD has his sights on the Prem
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    Not sure on response on here to be honest?

A player who has a wealth of experience in PL, let alone Championship. Played for City & Chelsea and 78 times for his country. If he signed a four year deal, can imagine the uproar. But a one year deal for a defender with much needed experience, isn't that bad. Think he will be great for Gomez, and Morrison in some aspects.

Again, I understand some concerns about FFP. But I'm sure RD won't be blowing the majority of his budget on a player like Ben Haim. If someone knows his exact salary, please enlighten us all. Then we can scrutinise the possible effects on FFP and RDs sanity.
  • Options

Seth, you haven't touched a nerve, but you can't say things like there's mounting evidence that CAFC results won't matter next season, and expect people to not find those comments a little strange.

Regardless of Ben Haim, what else have you got to support this claim?

Gary it has been put to me, based on no more than a conversation, that we are supposed to add value to players, and stats and performance values for each player is going to be more significant in the future than results. Guy Kiala has been added to the non football staff alongside Brett Shaw as performance analysts which is an increase in that department over what we had before.
    I also go back to the SL bloke in January who went on about players not good enough for SL to come to Charlton.
    I have also watched some of the imports live (not all from SL admittedly) and have not been especially impressed, with an overwhelming feeling that those players are here to get a gig.
    You may well think what I say is a little strange, I accept that, but if what I write serves no more purpose than to make our support a little more vigilant, then maybe I am being more positive than negative.

• Options
    LoOkOuT said:

I'm just wondering if anyone's put any thought into considering how this affects our position viz-a-viz Financial Fair Play?

Christ lookout, now you're asking us to think ☺
  • Options
    Correct me if I'm wrong Seth, but this opinion is based following first-hand conversations with Duchatelet's advisors in the CAFC boardroom.

In which case, it might not be an opinion you agree with, but its certainly one to at least consider.