Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Tal Ben Haim

Comments

• Options

Does not excite me but i simply don't get the hysteria from some over this signing if it is even true.

RD and co's thinking - We need experience in amongst the youth we are going to field this season, TBH has experience in England and Championship will suit him - no extra wages, easy decision.

IMO - TBH is an experienced journeyman heading downhill fast, he is a liability on the field. He's had four consecutive relegations from the Premier League, he's not wanted at SL for a reason.

We can do and have done in the past, a lot better.
  • Options
    3rd choice centre back with experience. From what i remember would be better than Wood and not crocked like Cort.

I expect another first 11 cb to be signed though.

Not bad for a squad player at all.

Some reactions suggest this is the return of doctor disaster Gary Docherty.
  • Options
    seth plum said:

I want to repeat something I've said (too often) before. We are not a feeder club, that is accepted, and we must not use that phrase in a muddled way.

However there is a lot, a great deal of, loads of even, of evidence that we are going to basically be a reserve team, or a convalescence centre, or a rehabilitation place, or a holding pen for players to get their fitness up, or make their stats look better WITH LITTLE OR NO REGARD AS TO THE RESULTS ACHIEVED BY CHARLTON ATHLETIC. As in if we scrape by and stay up that is enough.

I hope to goodness I am wrong, I really do hope to goodness I am wrong but I have heard on the quiet that results don't matter compared with the stuff I have written above, and then there is the actual evidence of what we know has taken place.
    Vetokele and PP are on long contracts so the value of the player is the resource to be deployed by RD.... they are essentially parked at Charlton.

PP himself, and Reza, and Astrid...and Loic, and Anil, and Thuram could all be said to have been sent to us for their benefit, not for our benefit, and Ben Haim is cluttering up the place at Liege so might as well park him over here.

I hope to goodness I am wrong, but no way are we a feeder club for the teams in the network, no way at all based on the evidence, but we are going to be a player farm/rehabilitation clinic/holding pen so that money can be generated from individual player development rather than team success.

You paint a chilling picture, Seth - and sadly I fear you may well be right.

• Options
    Just asked a Bolton fan for his opinion on him
    as soon as I mentioned his name he just rolled is eyes
  • Options
    @seth plum If what you suspect were true, I doubt that RD would have spent £1m on The Valley this close season.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Is there a fan of any club in the world that you don't have on tap to ask an immediate opinion on?

Last week it was Borussia mönchengladbach, now it is Bolton Wanderers!
    I work for a German company thats how I got that and a bloke I work with is from Bolton
  • Options
    seth plum said:

I want to repeat something I've said (too often) before. We are not a feeder club, that is accepted, and we must not use that phrase in a muddled way.

However there is a lot, a great deal of, loads of even, of evidence that we are going to basically be a reserve team, or a convalescence centre, or a rehabilitation place, or a holding pen for players to get their fitness up, or make their stats look better WITH LITTLE OR NO REGARD AS TO THE RESULTS ACHIEVED BY CHARLTON ATHLETIC. As in if we scrape by and stay up that is enough.

I hope to goodness I am wrong, I really do hope to goodness I am wrong but I have heard on the quiet that results don't matter compared with the stuff I have written above, and then there is the actual evidence of what we know has taken place.
    Vetokele and PP are on long contracts so the value of the player is the resource to be deployed by RD.... they are essentially parked at Charlton.

PP himself, and Reza, and Astrid...and Loic, and Anil, and Thuram could all be said to have been sent to us for their benefit, not for our benefit, and Ben Haim is cluttering up the place at Liege so might as well park him over here.

I hope to goodness I am wrong, but no way are we a feeder club for the teams in the network, no way at all based on the evidence, but we are going to be a player farm/rehabilitation clinic/holding pen so that money can be generated from individual player development rather than team success.

Here we go again. Joke post.
  • Options
    Greenie said:

seth plum said:

Here we go again. Joke post.
    Agreed, posted in the wrong category.
  • Options
    edited July 2014

seth plum said:

sorry but what a pile of crap, 'I've heard on the quiet that results don't matter'
    Others have posted stuff like me that also amounts to hearsay I admit to that.

I have dismissed a lot of what I have heard, but the mounting evidence is pointing in the direction that results won't matter that much. Anyway within my pile of crap I have repeated that I hope I am wrong, so Elthamaddick you don't need to get too worried about my contribution, which you have responded to in such an erudite and developed way.

With Southampton pocketing a small fortune for Shaw and Lalana you can see that it is possible to make money from player sales, maybe more possible than getting into the premier league. Indeed Cardiff gambled on the prem and it looks as if the subsequent windfall is not the solution for them necessarily, have they got tons of lucrative playing assets to sell now?

Yes 'results don't matter' is wrong in one way, unless you reverse the Crystal Palace maxim that winning is everything. maybe results do matter, but only after financial restraint, player development, Academy exploitation and then, oh yes, results for the first team as a lower priority.

Maybe I should have written 'results do matter, but not that much'.

• Options
    IF he's signed, I say welcome TBH. I will reserve judgement on you as a player until I've seen you play.
  • Options
    Pluses

- Long-term top Level experience
    - Knows English football / living in England
    - Already in RDs budget so no outlay

Minuses

- Appearance record is very poor. Over the last 7 seasons his starting record in the league is, according to Soccerway, as follows: 10, 13, 21, 6, 33, 2, 5
  • Options
    seth plum said:

seth plum said:

sorry but what a pile of crap, 'I've heard on the quiet that results don't matter'

I have dismissed a lot of what I have heard, but the mounting evidence is pointing in the direction that results won't matter that much. Anyway within my pile of crap I have repeated that I hope I am wrong, so Elthamaddick you don't need to get too worried about my contribution, which you have responded to in such an erudite and developed way.

With Southampton pocketing a small fortune for Shaw and Lalana you can see that it is possible to make money from player sales, maybe more possible than getting into the premier league. Indeed Cardiff gambled on the prem and it looks as if the subsequent windfall is not the solution for them necessarily, have they got tons of lucrative playing assets to sell now?

Yes 'results don't matter' is wrong in one way, unless you reverse the Crystal palace maxim that winning is everything. maybe results do matter, but only after financial restraint, player development, Academy exploitation and then, oh yes, results for the first team as a lower priority.

Mounting evidence?
  • Options
    _MrDick said:

IF he's signed, I say welcome TBH. I will reserve judgement on you as a player until I've seen you play.

I've seen him play quite a few times, he isn't very good.

• Options

TBH TBH would be an ok addition TBH.

was this before LOL buttons came in because i threw a wobbler at how funny this was!
  • Options

seth plum said:

seth plum said:

Yes 'results don't matter' is wrong in one way, unless you reverse the Crystal palace maxim that winning is everything. maybe results do matter, but only after financial restraint, player development, Academy exploitation and then, oh yes, results for the first team as a lower priority.

Mounting evidence?
    said it for me, what 'mounting evidence' is there that results don't matter?, do you think RD has no desire to make it to the prem and earn a whacking great return on his investment?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Random Bolton fan walking along the street?? lol

• Options
    Have we had an Israeli play for us?
  • Options

Is there a fan of any club in the world that you don't have on tap to ask an immediate opinion on?

I work for a German company thats how I got that and a bloke I work with is from Bolton
    Jeff Vetere is that you?!
  • Options
    People have been saying for a while we need a few experienced players who know how the English game is played. We get linked with exactly such one player - who is now not good enough. I am really not sure how much better we could realistically do without spending a fair amount of money - is Ben Haim any worse than Wood? I really can't see it. At the very worst this is like for like in that regard.
  • Options
    edited July 2014

Right...........
  • Options

Pluses

- Long-term top Level experience
    - Knows English football / living in England
    - Already in RDs budget so no outlay

Minuses

- Appearance record is very poor. Over the last 7 seasons his starting record in the league is, according to Soccerway, as follows: 10, 13, 21, 6, 33, 2, 5

might use those as my lottery numbers, good as any

7 numbers will certainly increase your chances
  • Options
    Can someone stick up a youtube clip of him 10 years ago to make me feel better?
  • Options
    I presume it is this Tal Ben Haim and not the other one who plays for Maccabi Tel Aviv and is either a striker or winger, aged 24. Also plays for Israel national team.
  • Options
    I'm just wondering if anyone's put any thought into considering how this affects our position viz-a-viz Financial Fair Play?