Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Cross-subsidised coaches to Sheffield Wednesday to make it an event

edited January 2014 in General Charlton
It's a disappointing draw, but we have to make the most of it and try to get through.

My suggestion for the club is that it should run cheap coaches in order to encourage people to travel, say £10 a head. You'd probably get about 20 coaches on that basis and potentially be able to recover the additional cost of the transport from CAFC's share of the extra ticket receipts, depending on the ticket prices. It would give the occasion a bit of momentum and it needn't cost the club anything.

Comments

• Options
    Good idea but would we get the support to make it worth while. Personally getting pissed off going to Yorkshire.....
  • Options
    edited January 2014

Good idea but would we get the support to make it worth while. Personally getting pissed off going to Yorkshire.....

I think we would, but it doesn't really matter because the cost is proportionate to the demand and offset by the revenue.

The club would only lose out if nobody extra travelled and it had given up the profit on the usual travellers' fare, but that's negligible next to its revenue split from the total receipts.

And in any case you could make the argument that the usual travellers deserve a break anyway.
  • Options
    Like the sound of this @airmanbrown would definitely get a few hundred fans who might not of gone...
  • Options
    A good shout definitely, we got some money for getting through the 3rd/4th round so it seems a reasonable investment for maybe even free coaches? Cheap/free travel and you're talking 1k+ which really would help the team and likely to made the club take this game more seriously.
  • Options
    If some coaches were laid on I would probably grab my girlfriend by the hair and go.
  • Options
    edited January 2014

A good shout definitely, we got some money for getting through the 3rd/4th round so it seems a reasonable investment for maybe even free coaches? Cheap/free travel and you're talking 1k+ which really would help the team and likely to made the club take this game more seriously.

Of course free travel would be nice, but it's serious money and I don't know how ready the new regime is to commit that. We spent about £80k each taking people to Boro by coach alone in 2006 and similar to Blackburn in 2007. It's also a massive logistical exercise.

You wouldn't recover that from extra away ticket sales, hence I'm suggesting something that can be justified by a business case - albeit with a little tweaking around the actual figures.
  • Options
    Fair enough, obviously you know much more about the money aspect to it, is it likely by doing cheap travel we'll lose a significant amount of money?
  • Options
    If the club don't like the idea , maybe the supporters trust would like the idea?
  • Options
    Surely the trip to Boro was by plane, I couldn't have imagined enduring a flight crammed in a seat which had half Ryanair's leg space! ;-)
  • Options
    Great idea, we should encourage as many fans to get up there as possible
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    ffs the wendies miss Piggy will be chuffed. ;-(
  • Options

Surely the trip to Boro was by plane, I couldn't have imagined enduring a flight crammed in a seat which had half Ryanair's leg space! ;-)

We ran about 80 coaches to both Boro and Blackburn. There were also planes, but most people went by coach.
  • Options
    Plane to Boro was great.
    We are the left side we are the left side of the plane...
  • Options
    edited January 2014

Fair enough, obviously you know much more about the money aspect to it, is it likely by doing cheap travel we'll lose a significant amount of money?

Depends on the ticket price. For example, if Wendies charge £20 for an adult ticket, Charlton get 45 per cent less the VAT, which is £7.50.

The cost of a coach to Sheffield should be £900-ish. The more people travel overall the higher the average loading per coach. In practice you should be able to sell 48 seats per coach, so at £10 that's £480. After the first few coaches that would go anyway, every adult passenger generates the marginal match ticket revenue of £7.50, so for these coaches you get 48 x £17.50 in total, which is total revenue of £840 - loss of £60 per coach.

Now, not every passenger is an adult and we don't know what Wendies will charge. Plus the club would otherwise probably charge £22 (based on yesterday) and might make £1k profit on running four coaches, against, say, a £1,600 loss on these four at £10 fare. Maybe it ends up £5k down on the deal, but against that it still has the income from the Wednesday fans which offsets it, a bit of goodwill from its own supporters and maybe at the margins increases its chance of getting the prize money for winning.

I'd say that was worth the risk. But I accept if Wednesday charge less to get in or the coaches are a bit dearer the numbers may need tweaking. It's the principle I am putting forward. Even £15 coaches would help, although I think £10 is the optimum.
  • Options
    A Charlton away coach that leaves stupidly early spends a ludicrous amount of time at service stations, and arrives 10 minutes before kick, hence stopping fans having a beer. Fuck right off
  • Options
    I'd go
  • Options

A Charlton away coach that leaves stupidly early spends a ludicrous amount of time at service stations, and arrives 10 minutes before kick, hence stopping fans having a beer. Fuck right off

Quite, but 4,000 people who travelled to Blackburn didn't agree with you, did they?
  • Options
    I would suggest that apart from the usual 250 who use the coach regularly, the rest were people who never went away and after experiencing the delight probably never went away again.
  • Options
    We should all take our girlfriends/ wives. It is Valentines weekend after all. What a treat for the little ladies❤
    Huskaris said:

If some coaches were laid on I would probably grab my girlfriend by the hair and go.

• Options
    Stay at home and watch the match on tele or CAFC player is the spirit we want to generate....lets have no more of those bloody happy clappy ideas....move on would ya....its only a game of football FFS ;o)
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    coach up to sheffield from victoria is £5 each way leaves at around 10 and gets to sheffield station at 1 ...this will be my way of getting there
  • Options
    Operation Owlerton
  • Options

Quite, but 4,000 people who travelled to Blackburn didn't agree with you, did they?

I agreed with him I was on one of those coaches to Blackburn that left stupidly early and got to the ground 20 mins before kick off not leaving us any time to have a proper drink.
  • Options
    Should be taking 2-3k up there without subsidised travel.
    If we can take 7k plus to fulham for a 3rd round game we should take a few k to Sheffield for a game to get to the quarters.
    So long as it's on Sat and priced reasonably by Wed of course.
    In 99 we took 4k to Cov easily at this stage.
  • Options
    Nicholas said:

I agreed with him I was on one of those coaches to Blackburn that left stupidly early and got to the ground 20 mins before kick off not leaving us any time to have a proper drink.
    There were dozens and dozens of coaches that got there in perfectly good time and the only problem we had getting a drink was getting served in the away pub.

Coach travel isn't to everyone's taste, but no one is suggesting making it compulsory. The reality is that it's the only economical way of boosting the numbers. And we've taken large numbers by coach to dozens of games in the past, so it's nonsense to suggest it couldn't work on the basis that not everyone would use it.
  • Options
    edited January 2014

coach up to sheffield from victoria is £5 each way leaves at around 10 and gets to sheffield station at 1 ...this will be my way of getting there

what times does it leave on the way back?

• Options

Should be taking 2-3k up there without subsidised travel.
    If we can take 7k plus to fulham for a 3rd round game we should take a few k to Sheffield for a game to get to the quarters.
    So long as it's on Sat and priced reasonably by Wed of course.
    In 99 we took 4k to Cov easily at this stage.

We won't though, will we? Do well to take 1,500.
  • Options
    How many did we take in 06? 2.5k? I know we were prem then so different.
  • Options
    hold on

just remember what happened when the club provided coaches to Boro and Blackburn

we lost both games

• Options
    Hmm, being on a coach with a crowd of sober addicks or one full of pissed up addicks spouting shite.
    You know what, I'd plump for the temperance option. :-)