Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Radio Stations - a bit of a rant

13»

Comments

• Options
    Rothko said:

Rothko said:

6 Music all the time at home, iPhone and a couple of bluetooth speakers deal with the DAB signal problem.

The station does over 2m now, so digital isn't holding it back anymore

Lauren Laverne accounts for over 1m of those listeners alone.
    Good, can't think of a better three hours of radio in the country, she's excellent, the show is welcoming, the music always interesting, and you feel like you've learnt something without being patronised
    Totally agree. Best music show out there for me. I work in commercial radio but the Beeb do get it spot on with this show.
  • Options

Rothko said:

Rothko said:

6 Music all the time at home, iPhone and a couple of bluetooth speakers deal with the DAB signal problem.

The station does over 2m now, so digital isn't holding it back anymore

Lauren Laverne accounts for over 1m of those listeners alone.
    Good, can't think of a better three hours of radio in the country, she's excellent, the show is welcoming, the music always interesting, and you feel like you've learnt something without being patronised
    Totally agree. Best music show out there for me. I work in commercial radio but the Beeb do get it spot on with this show.
    Personally it is the Sunday programming on 6Music which is superlative. From Mary Ann Hobbs to Cerys Matthews to Guy Garvey and then Jarvis/Iggy/John Cooper Clarke to Maconie's Freak Zone. A lot of musical love and education delivered in a down to earth fashion. Thank the lord it is available on t'internet for when I am abroad!
  • Options
    Try 6music today at 7pm!
  • Options
    6 music for the Craig Charles funk and Soul show is where its at
  • Options
    iaitch said:

If you like some good old soul then Solarradio.com is the one.

http://tunein.com/radio/NPR-Northern-Soul-s171399/

No chat or adverts, and a great mix of tunes.
  • Options
    In my teens and twenties John Peel was required listening. Tommy Vance and one or two others were decent. I couldn't imagine not listening to these guys when I was young. They have gone now though, and if they've been replaced by anyone decedent, I've not found them. The only exception is Paul Jones on Radio 2, he knows his stuff and doesn't fill his programme with inane chatter (although he's been going around for donkey's years). I mainly listen to Radio 4 now. Like others, I learn about new stuff from friends or from the internet.
  • Options

iaitch said:

thanks for that. great website!
  • Options
    There's a handful of digital stations I listen to, jazz and stuff. Never listen to commercial radio, it's mind numbing to me. Best to ask friends for updates on new music, they don't stop halfway through to sell me building materials.
  • Options
    edited February 2015
  • Options

iaitch said:

Can't beat a bit of Northern.