Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Wayne Rooney - Is He Worth £300,000 a week?

Comments

• Options
    JohnBoyUK said:

Utter madness, once you put his wages up to those levels then RVP and the rest of the big names will want parity.

Its a very slippery slope.

Other than RvP, what other big names have they got? Not one in my eyes.

They just signed one - Mata - and will be in the market for plenty of Ozil-level CL players and beyond, if they pay Rooney 300K then those players will want that as well.

That is simply how the process works, the other agents will say to United that their player won't sign unless he gets parity with Rooney.

Fuck me, imagine how much they would have to pay Ronaldo now.
  • Options
    Chunes said:

Is there a better all round european player?

Was this a serious question?
    If you take 'all round' to mean 'able to play the most positions' then I think its a serious q. I reckon Rooney could do a good job at any position on the pitch if needed...can't really see Xavi at CB or Zlatan at LWB (who are obviously far more technically gifted don't get me wrong!).

In answer to the question, he's worth what they are willing to pay....but I would cash out and build the team around Mata instead.

• Options
    Two ways of looking at it really.

1. He is worth it as they don't then need to go out and spend 40/50/60m replacing him. You know Rooney will alwyas give 100% on the pitch and if he's there, there's a chance other top players will sign for them.

2. No he's not worth it. Is anyone apart from Ronaldo and Messi worth that? Just over 40k A DAY to kick a football apart. It's ridiculous.

United will be allegedly now be paying their front two a total of 550k A WEEK!! Lower/non league clubs have gone into administration with total debts amounting to that.
  • Options
    £300,000 a week???!!! Jesus I had to read the title of the thread twice to make sure I didn't misread it.......
  • Options

£300,000 a week???!!! Jesus I had to read the title of the thread twice to make sure I didn't misread it.......

You think it should be more..?

• Options
    At the end of the day whether you like it or not Rooney is worth what united or anyone else is prepared to pay him
  • Options

JohnBoyUK said:

Utter madness, once you put his wages up to those levels then RVP and the rest of the big names will want parity.

Its a very slippery slope.

Other than RvP, what other big names have they got? Not one in my eyes.

They just signed one - Mata - and will be in the market for plenty of Ozil-level CL players and beyond, if they pay Rooney 300K then those players will want that as well.

That is simply how the process works, the other agents will say to United that their player won't sign unless he gets parity with Rooney.

Fuck me, imagine how much they would have to pay Ronaldo now.
    Fair point, I'd totally forgotten the fact they'd just signed Mata.

• Options

Is cheaper than buying another top drawer striker - that's why he's worth it

65 million over 4 years. Could of had Falcoa or cavani or even Ronaldo
    Could buy Charlton 4 times over for that
  • Options
    Chizz said:

You think it should be more..?

Of course not!!!!!!!
  • Options
    Nobody in the world, except the person who discovers the cure for cancer is worth that.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    with the amount of money some footballers get I'd say yeah, he's the best player at united and i'd say top 3-5 in the prem. But I also don't think any player should be on that much a week obviously.

If I was a united fan I could never cheer him on though, he's done a lot for them on the pitch but off it he's been a disgrace
  • Options
    Yes he is worth that. He has given them 11 years service and has scored more goals for them in that time than anybody else. Not to mention the fact that he is the best English player of the past 15 or so years.

I know people love to jump on his back simply because he hasn't done a lot in major England tournaments, but he is their main man and has been for some time. If United are willing to pay that and deem it necessary, then they know best.

These days footballers aren't just paid to play Football. They are paid to be leading representatives of their business, to be the "number 1 face" in Rooney's case.

I know traditionalists don't like it, but that is how it is.
  • Options
    That is 15.6m a year.

Compare that with say an actor such a Tom Cruise who probably gets that per film, makes 3 films per year then you could say that as someone near the top of the english game the rewards are justifiable.

• Options
    cafctom said:

Yes he is worth that. He has given them 11 years service and has scored more goals for them in that time than anybody else. Not to mention the fact that he is the best English player of the past 15 or so years.

I know people love to jump on his back simply because he hasn't done a lot in major England tournaments, but he is their main man and has been for some time. If United are willing to pay that and deem it necessary, then they know best.

These days footballers aren't just paid to play Football. They are paid to be leading representatives of their business, to be the "number 1 face" in Rooney's case.

I know traditionalists don't like it, but that is how it is.

The thing is though, he's a leading representative who has twice agitated for a move away from the club, citing irreconcilable differences with the way the club is run until he is offered more money. He's the number 1 face who has shown his loyalty corresponds directly to his already over-inflated paycheck. It's surprising Utd are willing to let him tread all over them like this but I guess they're quite desperate to rebuild and not lose any of their top players
  • Options
    MrOneLung said:

That is 15.6m a year.

Compare that with say an actor such a Tom Cruise who probably gets that per film, makes 3 films per year then you could say that as someone near the top of the english game the rewards are justifiable.

How much does Rooney get for being the inspiration for Shrek?
  • Options
    edited January 2014

Nobody in the world, except the person who discovers the cure for cancer is worth that.

100% this.

You can, just about, at a push, see how a true footballing megastar like Messi and now Ronaldo might merit being so highly paid as they are operating at a different level altogether but Rooney's not even been United's best player for most of his career there. Let alone in the world's top 2 or 3.
  • Options
    He is one of the faces, of England's premier club, in the country's premier sport, that can get over a billion pounds for tv rights.

Without the players there is no product.

• Options
    Nike still pay Michael Jordan $60m a year !!!
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    I reckon Mata was put on a higher wage then Rooney...he got the ump and wanted to be the top earner.
  • Options
    A bit of context: £16.5m a year equates to just over $27m. That would put him (excluding endorsements) on a par with Amar'e Stoudemire. Or, roughly half the earnings of Drew Brees.

Yes, on a par with Amar'e Stoudemire and half the earnings of Drew Brees.

Doesn't sound quite so much now, does it..?

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited January 2014
    Some more context. A qualified nurse earns from £411 per week. Sounds a lot more now doesn't it? ;0)
  • Options
    Chizz said:

A bit of context: £16.5m a year equates to just over $27m. That would put him (excluding endorsements) on a par with Amar'e Stoudemire. Or, roughly half the earnings of Drew Brees.

Yes, on a par with Amar'e Stoudemire and half the earnings of Drew Brees.

Doesn't sound quite so much now, does it..?

America is a much bigger place than the UK. Much more revenue in the NFL league than the Premier League.
  • Options
    edited January 2014

It's cheaper than buying another top drawer striker - that's why he's worth it

I think this is the key point in United's thinking. £65 over 4.5 years rather than having to shell out on a big transfer fee on another top quality striker AND pay their wages.

It's all relative, as a top club you pay it or can't compete.

That said, I don't think Rooney will have longevity, he's not hot that kind of fitness, and this was United's last chance to sell him for decent money.

On top of that, I think they need defenders and midfielders a lot more than they need Rooney. Mata, Van Persie and Hernandez, for example, would be threat with good service.

Should have sold him this summer for £25-30m and invest in a left back, a centre back, a centre mid (or two).

Wages for top class footballers are obscene now though.
  • Options

Chunes said:

Is there a better all round english player?

No, but that doesn't say much!

Def a serious question, how many of those players mentioned Ronaldo etc come back to pick the ball up from their own area. There was talk about him on radio today and the general concensus was he could play anywhere on the pitch and would make an excellent goalscoring midfielder.
    Always gives 110% unlike Ronaldo & co
  • Options
    Loved him when he came on the scene. Slowly began to dislike him. Now find him quite unpleasant. Makes it hard to be objective.

When he's on a run of form he's one of the best in the country, but the amount of time he takes to get on form is ridiculous. I don't think he's capable of smashing it at international level unless he plays right the way through the build up.

Also, no way do I believe he's got a say in transfers.
  • Options

Chunes said:

Def a serious question, how many of those players mentioned Ronaldo etc come back to pick the ball up from their own area. There was talk about him on radio today and the general concensus was he could play anywhere on the pitch and would make an excellent goalscoring midfielder.
    Always gives 110% unlike Ronaldo & co
    That's a clichéd and old hat view on Ronaldo. The guy is a machine. His tracking back and all round defensive game is second to none. He's aware of the requirement to lead by example, to work exceptionally hard during the short time he has at the top. His leadership of both Portugal and Real is hugely impressive. Go find the Ireland or Sweden highlights. Rooney gives it his all, but Ronaldo is on other plain.
  • Options
    The idea that Rooney is better than Ronaldo is ridiculous at best.

Picking up a ball from your own area means nothing as a striker, especially when Rooney is constantly found 20 yards behind any counter attack United have thanks to it.
  • Options
    Rooney Vs Ronaldo is like Graeme Swann vs Shane Warne.

One is a very, very good player, the other is simply in a different class altogether.

No shame in that at all.
  • Options
    Chunes said:

Chunes said:

There are many. Cristiano Ronaldo, Ibrahimovic, Iniesta, Xavi, Schweinsteiger, Ozil, Fabregas, Bale. Could go on.
    Hazard, Mata, Pirlo, Navas, Silva, Aguero, Tevez, Toure, suarez, Oscar, Ramirez, the list goes on and on and on.

He's so over rated. English Media have given him his career. If he was in Spain he would have made it to an athletico Madrid not a barca.
  • Options
    In answer to the original question - Yes as someone is prepared to pay said sum!