Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Benefits Street

Comments

• Options
    I haven't watched the programme because, amongst other things, I guessed it wouldn't be good for my blood pressure.

But I have a question: Does anyone know if the TV company paid the residents of the street in respect of their contributions to the show? If so, was tax deducted at source and have those individuals on benefits reported these earnings to the DWP?

• Options
    I had read somewhere that they were paid in booze and fags so as to not effect the benefit they receive. May be wrong though. Probably am tbf
  • Options
    CAFC Luke said:

Nice to see the usual suspects passing scorn from their ivory towers on those less fortunate in society.
    Society should be ashamed that it allows such a disaster to occur. But it's the cheap option.

My niece would fit nicely into the street. Parents both teachers, she lost the plot while at school. Had mental health issues and was kicked out of school. Got pregnant with a decent but dumb kid. Moved on to a clever super nice heroin addict, with 2 more kids arriving. Like most in her circle drink and drugs got the better of her. She's been in court loads, mainly for shop lifting.
    The heroin addict is dead. My sister fought social services and fortunately has ended up as the legal guardian of the kids.
    My niece struggles along. She never got the support she needed then or now. She is bi-polar. She is still in the community because it's the cheap option. She should be in a mental hospital but it costs way to much.

I haven't watched the show but I'm sure mental issues, abuse, coming from similar backgrounds and a lack of opportunities has caused most of the residents to end up there. The spiral continues.

NB Not cleaning points to depression.

It is this sort of thing that I find makes the programme more than anything, sad. there are people there who are struggling, trying to make something of their lives (as seen by the lady working in the takeaway shop) and look after those around her. But then at the same time has hopes and aspirations to be a model. Whilst there is nothing wrong in having hopes and dreams, in certain situations it is important not to spend £20 of the £40 you have to live on, in entering a modelling competition. Someone has at some point told the lady that she could be a model, and has now made her think of nothing else.

There are other elements of the show which wind me up, and I find wrong with society, and people are right, it isn't a true reflection on what society is like, nor even like on James Turner street, but there are the chances to see that there is an element of community spirit within the neighbourhood (however bad it may be for people) better than there is around where I live.

Giving some of the people benefits that are shown on the show however isn't going to help them on its own. they need people, not care workers or social services, but people who are willing to help them and support them, in helping them with addiction, money related issues, and giving general support.
    I understand what you are saying completely, I really do, but let's be fair here the poor woman probably has a desperately tough life and that one-in-a-million dream of being a model is probably her only ticket to getting out of there and having some sort of life, you can't blame her for pursuing her dreams no matter how unrealistic they may be.

If she didn't have that small chink of light then who knows what she might do?
  • Options
    The problem is that Channel 4 have found a selection of residents on the street who are most likely to act up to the cameras. There are something like 95 houses on that street yet we are seeing less then 10 of the residents on camera.

There are decent people in the area like the old bird who entered the flower competition and the 50p man but unfortunately those who get most of the air time are making the rest look bad.
  • Options
    It aint hard to find people like that and jezza proves it daily . Its an extension of jeremy kyle except we now see where they get them from

I don't buy the C4 in the wrong stuff just like JK these people have not enough about them to say I would rather not have your money and stay private with my issues

• Options
    BIG_ROB said:

Redskin said:

'sickening' 'lazy gob-shite' 'shit-hole' 'druggies' 'alcoholics' 'foot through the tv'

Mission accomplished.

Go and invest 90k in an area and take a knock of around 20-30k, because the street has been made into a shit hole.
    Why would I want to do that?

• Options
    BIG_ROB said:

Redskin said:

'sickening' 'lazy gob-shite' 'shit-hole' 'druggies' 'alcoholics' 'foot through the tv'

Mission accomplished.

Go and invest 90k in an area and take a knock of around 20-30k, because the street has been made into a shit hole.
    You never mentioned this when touting your gaff on CL. Thanks for the heads up though. ;-)
  • Options
    Brilliant, another show taking a small selection of working class people and making it seem like they're all playing the system.

Wonder how low tv will go before poor people will receive a fair reflection on their lives. Probably won't hold my breath.
  • Options
    Croydon said:

The problem is that Channel 4 have found a selection of residents on the street who are most likely to act up to the cameras. There are something like 95 houses on that street yet we are seeing less then 10 of the residents on camera.

There are decent people in the area like the old bird who entered the flower competition and the 50p man but unfortunately those who get most of the air time are making the rest look bad.

Pretty much agree with this, thought the show about the Romanians was fairly interesting (I felt sorry for them...they had it seemed been mugged off), but after last week (when I watched it for 30 mins) I got bored of it and won't be watching it again.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    We shouldn’t forget that this is a tv programme so Channel 4 are going to highlight the people who they think will get the biggest reaction. I think most people on benefits would fit into the description Sadie gave rather than the example the programme gives, but that is boring.

In terms of what you do about it – don’t make it political. This is a social issue and the solution is going to be around how you prevent Dee’s kids being like Dee. Parenthood is the biggest responsibility you can have – kids don’t ask to be born and parents play such a crucial part in how they develop. I would imagine Dee’s parents had a similar attitude to hers.

Rich people can also have that attitude - but they can afford to get somebody else to care for their kids so it isn't apparent.
  • Options
    Im not sure programmes like this are a good thing.

Whilst the BBC will no doubt do a documentary pro labour/working class in due course all it does is stir up hate from both sides.

I fully support the government on their crackdown on those illegally claiming benefit, do we reallty need a TV show on it?
  • Options
    I'm sure these type of programes only exist to sell advertising during the breaks.
    You can tell the whole streets woes in 10 minutes.
  • Options
    Its Channel 4, they've been doing it for years!
  • Options

Brilliant, another show taking a small selection of working class people and making it seem like they're all playing the system.

Wonder how low tv will go before poor people will receive a fair reflection on their lives. Probably won't hold my breath.

What makes them "working class"? I don't recognise all of them as working class.
  • Options
    Last weeks show was a classic mark out of work father of 2 likes to practice doing skids on his mountain bike.
  • Options
    Workshy class is the word and has been developed over the last 20yrs

They call what used to be the dole money their wages

On numerous times it is said on the show and I hear people saying it in the pub near me that their wages goes in at midnight
  • Options

What makes them "working class"? I don't recognise all of them as working class.
    The lower class then, whatever class has the poorest in society.
  • Options

The lower class then, whatever class has the poorest in society.
    I don't agree that these are the poorest in society at all. People on benefits are not the worse off because they're in the system they are given enough (just enough) to live on, this obviously doesn't include money for cigarettes, alcohol, designer clothes or drugs, if they want them things then it's their lookout. As I said I am currently on benefits and because I don't drink, smoke, wear designer clothes or self indulge we are ok, the other half is depressed because he can't get a job not because he needs to work but because he wants to. 3 years ago though, we wasn't ok, the other half was working in London earning just over £10 an hour 48 hours a week, he was earning JUST too much to get working tax credit, JUST too much for housing or council tax benefits, too much for any help at all but not enough to live on, we had to pay out over £80 a week just on travel (petrol) they don't take that into consideration so after paying all the bills and fuel we were left with about £70 per week to feed, heat, clothe and clean a family of 6, we resorted to selling most of our belongings to survive until he found a job closer to home. People in situations like that are the poorest in society through no fault of their own and there are thousands in that predicament.
  • Options
    The difference sadie is there are those that want to and can't and those that can and won't

There was a programe called broke that highlighted it better
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Redskin said:

BIG_ROB said:

Redskin said:

Mission accomplished.

Why would I want to do that?

Cause then you might have a different opinion on those who make the area into a 'shit hole', like some of those in this program
  • Options
    edited January 2014
  • Options
    edited January 2014

BIG_ROB said:

Redskin said:

Mission accomplished.

You never mentioned this when touting your gaff on CL. Thanks for the heads up though. ;-)
    Yeah, I laugh at my predicament occasionally an all, but it weren't as funny when I was too ill to work through chronic gout and kidney failure, but weren't entitled to fuck all benefits, even after paying full tax through the previous years of my working life. Then when walking round the supermarket, spending me last 20 quid for the weeks shopping, I walk past the family from across the Kermit from where I lived, who live completely on benefit having not paid a penny in tax, with their trolley brimming over. Good times that
  • Options
    They are underclass.

No matter what society does or tries to do, there will always be an underclass like the one's on this programme.

We just need to provide help and support for those that want to get out of similar situations and are prepared to help themselves rather than just expect other people to do it for them.

The fit and healthy 23 year old who just couldn't be arsed and eventually went to the job club at the local Church and then started having a go at the bloke who was helping him with his CV "It's alright for you - you've got a job" was knocked off his feet when the helper told him he was also unemployed and did this on a voluntary basis. Off he went with his half completed CV and went out to pull a few more skiddies on his bike.

But then again I suppose he didn't need to get a job when it turned out he was defrauding the benefit system with his partner to the tune of £1,500 a month.
  • Options
    BIG_ROB said:

BIG_ROB said:

Redskin said:

Mission accomplished.

Yeah, I laugh at my predicament occasionally an all, but it weren't as funny when I was too ill to work through chronic gout and kidney failure, but weren't entitled to fuck all benefits, even after paying full tax through the previous years of my working life. Then when walking round the supermarket, spending me last 20 quid for the weeks shopping, I walk past the family from across the Kermit from where I lived, who live completely on benefit having not paid a penny in tax, with their trolley brimming over. Good times that
    Sorry to hear that Big_Rob. Don't understand why you weren't entitled to benefits though? Glad things are better.
  • Options

BIG_ROB said:

BIG_ROB said:

Redskin said:

Mission accomplished.

Sorry to hear that Big_Rob. Don't understand why you weren't entitled to benefits though? Glad things are better.
    Because I was able to work, but not continually, I'd be laid up for a week, then able to work for a few weeks. I understand that there is now a benefit for this sort of thing, but there weren't 6-7 years ago. So I'd just pop pain killers all day and work through, or give up and go skint. All the while I'm watching matey across the road and his kids on their 'paid for' mobile phones and driving round in their 'paid for' motors.
  • Options
    BIG_ROB said:

BIG_ROB said:

Redskin said:

Mission accomplished.

Kidney failure is nothing to laugh about. I know someone who had it and he talks in a funny French accent now. Never brings it up though.
  • Options

The difference sadie is there are those that want to and can't and those that can and won't

That's part of what I was saying. The people featured in the programme are not vile because they are out of work lots of people are out of work. It's because they don't want to work, and they don't even take care of their kids properly when they're at home, their kids are merely an income. I liked that SB though spending £20 on that comp was a bit stupid but she has aspirations and drive, she cared about her kids and wanted to work. Also her story tells us she has more Reason than most of the others to wallow but she doesn't she gets on with it. The 50p man was hilarious, liked him too!
  • Options

That's part of what I was saying. The people featured in the programme are not vile because they are out of work lots of people are out of work. It's because they don't want to work, and they don't even take care of their kids properly when they're at home, their kids are merely an income. I liked that SB though spending £20 on that comp was a bit stupid but she has aspirations and drive, she cared about her kids and wanted to work. Also her story tells us she has more Reason than most of the others to wallow but she doesn't she gets on with it. The 50p man was hilarious, liked him too!
    Is Nathan in it?