Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Chris Powell

Let me start by saying, I'm not in the Powell out camp at all. I'm currently on the way home from Doncaster as we speak BUT he has to take some slack tonight, we've turned up here with this game against what will be our relegation rivals and in my opinion been played off the park. We mustered up 3 shots on goal and NONE (that I can remember) on target. It's simply not good enough. And before all you Powell lover's come out and say 'hes done the best with the squad hes had' 'our pitch has been poor' etc etc, our squad is basically the same squad that hammered League 1 with record breaking points and finished just outside the playoff's last year. To turn up tonight though and lose 3-0 is seriously dissapointing. 5 wins all season is not good enough and we can't keep finding excuses because it's Chris Powell.

I really do hope the next 3 or 4 games we can turn it round and Powell changes tactically because we are really going to need it!

Comments

• Options
    edited January 2014
  • Options
    Obviously you're correct that he has to take some slack. However I think it should be noted that we generally don't get hammered & this is actually the exception, the over-reactions on many threads that it's time to go essentially on the back of this are just that - overreactions.
  • Options
    What is this slack of which you speak?
  • Options
    Sorry, is this an innie or an outie?
  • Options
    Chizz said:

What is this slack of which you speak?

I think he meant FLACK
  • Options
    Oops yes flack!
  • Options
    & innie. One awful performance (on the day when several of your best players, with contracts are running out, are linked with moved elsewhere) doesn't make a bad manager
  • Options
    Poor tactically from him yesterday. Away from home we're better off playing 4-5-1. Poor team selection also, Evina/Lennon and Church out, Arjadevic and Harriott in. Big Powell fan but he really got it wrong on such a big game.

Also didn't agree with keeping the team up there from Saturday's game. A long time to sit in a hotel before a huge relegation match.

He needs help to freshen up the side, we're falling behind fast. Powell in, but he needs improved results.
  • Options
    What is become frustrating is that he keeps making the same tactical mistakes. Once or twice is acceptable as a manager shuffles his squad. He learns little from his midfield tinkering so it seems.
  • Options
    There is no question that he has made some very bad decisions this season and last night's team selection were probably amongst the worst. That game was massive and to lose it so badly does not bode well for the future. On that form, relegation is a certainty.
    As an example, although I was not at last night's game, I did go to seem them play at Reading, where Evina was also played in midfield. It was apparent to everyone, that Evina is NO midfield player and it was no surprise when he was subbed. To play him again in that position last night, in such a crucial game, was nothing more than crass stupidity.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

There is no question that he has made some very bad decisions this season and last night's team selection were probably amongst the worst. That game was massive and to lose it so badly does not bode well for the future. On that form, relegation is a certainty.
    As an example, although I was not at last night's game, I did go to seem them play at Reading, where Evina was also played in midfield. It was apparent to everyone, that Evina is NO midfield player and it was no surprise when he was subbed. To play him again in that position last night, in such a crucial game, was nothing more than crass stupidity.

I have to agree with you on Evina.
    To play him there again was daft and a kick in the bollox to the more feasible options who were overlooked.
  • Options

Let me start by saying, I'm not in the Powell out camp at all. ............... And before all you Powell lover's come out and say 'hes done the best with the squad hes had'............etc etc, our squad is basically the same squad that hammered League 1 with record breaking points and finished just outside the playoff's last year. !

It's not the same squad, it's weaker. Last year we had Fuller, Obika and Hulse backing up Yann. Now we have church and Sodell due to financial constaints. We also had useful fringe players like Waggy but our squad has been cut. Hughes was key towards the end of the season but he's past it. Solly was magnificent but has been out all season. Jacko and Yann are older.

None of this is CP's fault.

• Options
    redman said:

Let me start by saying, I'm not in the Powell out camp at all. ............... And before all you Powell lover's come out and say 'hes done the best with the squad hes had'............etc etc, our squad is basically the same squad that hammered League 1 with record breaking points and finished just outside the playoff's last year. !

It's not the same squad, it's weaker. Last year we had Fuller, Obika and Hulse backing up Yann. Now we have church and Sodell due to financial constaints. We also had useful fringe players like Waggy but our squad has been cut. Hughes was key towards the end of the season but he's past it. Solly was magnificent but has been out all season. Jacko and Yann are older.

staff wise i agree Redman, but he tactics and decision making has been very suspect at times.

And thats not through hindsight, people have questioned it when the teams have been announced before the game.
  • Options
    redman said:

Agreed we have a weaker squad than last year and the predicament we are in owes largly to factors outside of powells control (e.g. budgtory restraints) however to say none of this is CP's fault is ridiculous. I persanally believe we should stick with Powell as we wont get anyone better in and he has proved himself in the previous two seasons. However, to play evina at left wing after his performance at reading is a poor as it gets in my opinion. Powell has spent a lot of time moaning (and rightly so) about contract issues at the club and injuries to key players such as solly. to me evina epitimises both of these as a player who tried to leave and reluctantly signed a new deal in the summer, to my knowledge signed a year deal so is in the camp of players with 6 months left that powell bangs on about and with the amount of football hes has played he cant be match fit.

Its not time to get rid of Powell because he is a good manager and if theres anything this club needs it stability...it is however time for powell to sort it out and stop making the same mistakes as im sick of hearing fans give powell excuse after excuse becuase its chris powell!
  • Options
    We were shocking last night
  • Options

We were shocking last night

Love the username.

• Options
    I didn't realise this was 'basically the same squad that hammered League 1 with record breaking points'. I honestly thought we lost some key players at the end of last season, so I guess you have point.
  • Options
    yes people have questioned his teams and tactics. However you only have to look at pre match threads to see there are dozens of different opinions as to what would be the magic touch. there's little or no consensus. You used to also get the same questions about curbs. It is fact that is what people do. Wenger and Fergie have both had their share of questions.
  • Options

our squad is basically the same squad that hammered League 1 with record breaking points and finished just outside the playoff's last year.

Don't let the facts get in the way.

Missing last night from promotion team :- Solly, Wiggins & BWP.

Missing from last season :- Solly, Wiggins, BWP, Fuller, Haynes, Obika, Wagstaff. (There are of course more).
  • Options
    How often are you gonna play 5 strikers anyway?

Yann
    Fuller
    Haynes
    BWP
    Obika

We're missing Waggy more than anyone ;o)
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Talked about being a Spurs fan as a kid. A shout for JJ as made his first team captain and has remained so at the club, so the right choice. Parker gets a mention for Curbs making captain age 20 when SCP was in 30's. Even a late mention of SCP swinging on crossbar at Hillsborough. When all the crap has been swept away, i'm sure he'll be back at The Valley in some capacity.

Legend. Never tire of this man.

Agree, would love to see him back.
  • Options
    Listening in the car whilst driving back from Wales, he sounded far more upbeat and said he enjoyed being on the beach over Christmas getting to know the family again! Love him to bits still and I would have said the swinging on the crossbar as well, Weegie Addick.
    He wants to get into sports journalism, but Chris, only till you come back to us at The Valley!
  • Options
    Watched the game in The Auctioneer in Greenwich, plenty of Chrissy Powell songs, great night.
  • Options
    se9addick said:

Twitter reliably informs me that today is the 16th anniversary of Chris Powell becoming the first Charlton player in a generation to play for England.

I was 15 at the time, seemed incredible then and I remember feeling so proud.
    Had that picture of him in an England shirt n my wall for about 5 years...
  • Options
    "Chris who?"