Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Time to get behind Powell more than ever

Apologies for starting another thread on this, but reading some of the comments about Powell after the match tonight are frankly embarrassing.

The man is a club legend who clearly loves the club. He took us up on a shoe-string budget and then took us to 9th in the Championship last season on an even smaller budget. He has given us some great moments in the last couple of years and yet when things start to get a bit tough many of you are prepared to turn on him so easily.

Now is the time to get behind Powell and the players, not to slag them off. Grow a pair and get behind the team and we might just get out of this.

He has helped us immensely in recent years; now it's time for us to help him.

Comments

• Options
    Agree. The negativity elsewhere on the forum will most likely exacerbate the problem, be picked by Katrien and could lead to a decision to let Powell & all players currently linked with other clubs go in a clear out, rather than sign them all up on contract extensions as any rational person would do.
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    Absolutely agree 100%

He is the right man for Charlton.

100% support Chris!!
  • Options
    Err no
  • Options
    100% support. if we go down this year 1 it won't b his fault and 2 he is the best man to get us back up.
  • Options
    100% if we kick him out at the first sign of trouble how are we any different from the Cardiffs or Chelsea or man city's of this world. One of the reasons I love this club is because we are different. But if we slide into a manager roulette we won't be.
  • Options
    Yes he has had minimal support off the pitch and did a remarkable in the championship winning season.
    He also did a fantastic job last season.
    He is a very bright coach and and genuinely a really nice guy to be around.
    Given some financial support he will take the club in the right direction.
  • Options
    Where does the buck stop and who is accountable for our league form?
  • Options
    PopIcon said:

Where does the buck stop and who is accountable for our league form?

If only things were that simple eh?

Of course, on a game-to-game basis it stops with Powell and the players - especially when you consider some of the baffling tactical decisions he made last night.

That being said, in any walk of business if there is something fundamentally wrong with the organisation then it lies with the board and ultimate decision makers (TJ/Slater/RD/Katrien/Murray).

I firmly believe that if our club got relegated then Powell would be at fault to a certain extent but if you assess the club from top to bottom then the blame and reasons for demise lies with the people sitting in the big long table at The Valley.

• Options
    I think the time to make the final judgement is at the end of this season not now, I don't think he does himself any favours with the way games can pan out under him, from very boring to dour with players playing in the wrong postitions,

But he is still 100% my man for the job
  • Options
    If and expect to be here on Saturday at Wigan. Will be singing his name loud and proud from the start.

Just hope he plays players in their natural position. ( who he plays at right back, I haven't got a clue)
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Agreed. Although I would be happy if an experienced first team coach was appointed to provide new ideas
  • Options

I think the time to make the final judgement is at the end of this season not now, I don't think he does himself any favours with the way games can pan out under him, from very boring to dour with players playing in the wrong postitions,

But he is still 100% my man for the job

Agreed, he makes mistakes but then most managers do. He needs to improve, no question, but he should be given the chance to do so.
  • Options
    Lurker said:

Why do we seem obsessed with blaming someone, you want to place blame? Have a look a the previous owner(s), see the pitch for a perfect analogy.

How should Charlton be performing? Is Powell under-performing, if so by how much? I see a squad built to get out of league 1 plus a few players who were at the bottom of a barrel we were scraping.

I look at the Championship table and I don't see many teams with a budget as small as ours. I may be wrong here but I'd say our budget will be in the bottom three of the championship, if this is the case, is Chris still under achieving?

A few years ago I remember "We want our Charlton back" ringing around the Valley. The Charlton I want back is where the fans get behind the players and the manager. Some people on our facebook page and to a lesser extent on here make me cringe. I suppose these fans have always been there but they now have a platform where they can be heard. Perhaps these fans started following us during the Premiership years, unfortunately for them, that is not the natural position for Charlton.

I still believe the majority of fans are behind Chris and the team but unfortunately, as is in most areas of life the morons shout loudest.

Fair enough mate, but do you really find it that unbelievable that some people want a change and why do they make you cringe? I've read some good arguments for both cases meself, but I personally would still like a change.
  • Options
    my support is beginning to waiver slightly....still believe he's the right man for the job and fingers crossed we'll get some players in to assist, but some of his decisions are baffling and he's certainly not beyond criticism.
  • Options
    BIG_ROB said:

Lurker said:

Why do we seem obsessed with blaming someone, you want to place blame? Have a look a the previous owner(s), see the pitch for a perfect analogy.

How should Charlton be performing? Is Powell under-performing, if so by how much? I see a squad built to get out of league 1 plus a few players who were at the bottom of a barrel we were scraping.

I look at the Championship table and I don't see many teams with a budget as small as ours. I may be wrong here but I'd say our budget will be in the bottom three of the championship, if this is the case, is Chris still under achieving?

A few years ago I remember "We want our Charlton back" ringing around the Valley. The Charlton I want back is where the fans get behind the players and the manager. Some people on our facebook page and to a lesser extent on here make me cringe. I suppose these fans have always been there but they now have a platform where they can be heard. Perhaps these fans started following us during the Premiership years, unfortunately for them, that is not the natural position for Charlton.

I still believe the majority of fans are behind Chris and the team but unfortunately, as is in most areas of life the morons shout loudest.

Fair enough mate, but do you really find it that unbelievable that some people want a change and why do they make you cringe? I've read some good arguments for both cases meself, but I personally would still like a change.
    To be fair it's more the social media side on than on here. Church scored on Saturday and there were more people slagging him off it seemed than celebrating.

It's not unbelievable that people want a change, but lets be realistic. There's only a few days left of the transfer window, Powell leaves and I think there's a good chance that our better players will follow him out of the door. Let's see if he's given the money to get hold of players he actually wants and how he gets on.

Powell's sacked and we lose someone who genuinely cares about the club like we all do, for who? A journeyman manager who sees us as a quick buck
  • Options
    If Powell leaves I honestly think we're going to have a Les Reed type situation until the end of the season. Both depressing and fateful.
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    You make some great points, Lurker. Perhaps you should spend less time lurking and more time posting ;-)
  • Options
    Lurker said:

BIG_ROB said:

Lurker said:

To be fair it's more the social media side on than on here. Church scored on Saturday and there were more people slagging him off it seemed than celebrating.

It's not unbelievable that people want a change, but lets be realistic. There's only a few days left of the transfer window, Powell leaves and I think there's a good chance that our better players will follow him out of the door. Let's see if he's given the money to get hold of players he actually wants and how he gets on.

Powell's sacked and we lose someone who genuinely cares about the club like we all do, for who? A journeyman manager who sees us as a quick buck
    When is the right time? I dob't get this argument, last month people were saying give him a chance to see what happens in the transfer window (Okay, no dough etc), now its give him to the end of the season, then it will be give him one season to get us out of League 1...... I think change now for someone to come in who can settle in ready for next season, while hopefully keeping us up

Before I get pelted about who the replacement should be, there've been a few names banded about, but I don't know and he ain't my job to know.
  • Options
    To everyone who wants him out - who would you rather be our manager?? Seriously name one person. There is no one with the loyalty passion and commitment to Chartlon that CP has - there's been some bad decisions since curbs left but sacking Powell would be the worst of the lot.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited January 2014
    If SCP hadn't got the record promotion push and more than decent 9th place last season I would be questioning his abilities a lot more but HE DID and therefore he must have a clue and he has proved he can manage to a decent level
    He has the ability to get us up and we may just need that come the end of this season
    He has credit in the bank as far as I'm concerned and deserves up till Christmas next season
    All this is before taking in to stock that we have a cheap squad for this league hence the shit players who come in when the injuries and suspensions kick in and that's not forgetting players' form that drops

SCP didn't pick a team I would have last night but I believe he tried to stay solid because to not lose was more important than winning IMO obviously failed
    His only 100% nause up was playing Evina
    I think he put cousins out wide because he hasn't been having the best of it lately and I believe in an ideal world of a decent squad SCP would like to be resting him
    Wood is more solid than Dervite
    But people moan he has his favourites and sticks with them too long then moan when he changes it up!
    What I can't accept from a SCP team is the lack of effort and commitment that the team showed glimpses of last night and that is a worrying sign
    Duchy has to back him now or back him in the summer for a promotion push
    Mincing around with contracts and chuff players that won't make a difference to the first team will only lead to League One Mr Duchatelet huuuuh

SCP has 100% support from me
  • Options
    I think it was Andy Hughes who recently made the valid point that this is a squad that has rarely been added to in three years.

I would also make the point that in that time Powell has seen no new back room coaching staff come in. (As well as losing Nathan Jones)
    Every side needs fresh faces and new ideas coming in. The current dour football is no doubt a result of that and a lack of competition in the squad.

If we secure 2-3 signatures in the coming days and manage to retain the contracts of our core players then there is every chance of an up turn in fortune.
    Without it our only option is continue to support the Powell and his squad in a time when his hands remain obviously tied.
  • Options
    Powell still has my support. I look at this team and feel that Powell is getting the most out of them, I don't see a single player that a new manager could come in and get more out of.

Powell makes mistakes but look at the track record of those being linked with us, they make just as many if not more and I don't think they are at the point in their career where they are still developing.

On the team selection last night, I agree it was wrong in hindsight but I feel Powell didn't have too many choices in the team. Maybe AA on the wing to start, he couldn't pick green on the right with Wilson both are defensive liabilities, as Wilson proved, so cousins offered a bit more protection on paper. JJ is the captain and in theory lifts the team, if he is out Morrison gets the armband and he hasn't impressed me as captain.

I see a team that isn't made for this level, they're too old, cast offs or players just starting out. The few players that can play at this level were either not on the pitch or stranded up front on their own trying to carry the team. Powell got the most out of them last year overachieving. Now the older ones are on the wrong side of the bell curve, the players in their "prime" are gone or injured and haven't been replaced.

I would love to have a manager who can get more out of these players but I don't think that person exists, I don't see anyone who can get more out of them than Powell and if the other man people want in is Avram Grant then they need to take a long hard look at themselves and his track record.
  • Options
    jams said:

To everyone who wants him out - who would you rather be our manager?? Seriously name one person. There is no one with the loyalty passion and commitment to Chartlon that CP has - there's been some bad decisions since curbs left but sacking Powell would be the worst of the lot.

I don't want him out, but IF he were to go then I'd have Warnock in to keep us up.
  • Options

my support is beginning to waiver slightly....still believe he's the right man for the job and fingers crossed we'll get some players in to assist, but some of his decisions are baffling and he's certainly not beyond criticism.

this.

• Options
    I don't think he does himself any favours. Shocking selection and tactics yesterday. Hate the kind of interviews that he gave in the newsshopper about the start of the game indicated we were in for a long night. Its your job to stop that Chris and to motivate the players & change things.
    In my opinion we are in between a rock and a hard place players contracts up and not playing well enough and will only sign if CP does. But the current league performances of those players isnt good enough to earn CP a new contract.
  • Options

Also agree. Im 90% behind him, that extra 10% will come back if he starts learning from his mistakes.

Since playing Stephens out wide against Sheff Wed he has puzzled me, and made the same mistake again last night with Cousins.

• Options
    Powell has been working his balls off with very limited resources. If he had got the support from the previous regime, we might not be in the mess that we are now. He has the full backing from Valley McMoist...period
  • Options
    BIG_ROB said:

Lurker said:

BIG_ROB said:

Lurker said:

When is the right time? I dob't get this argument, last month people were saying give him a chance to see what happens in the transfer window (Okay, no dough etc), now its give him to the end of the season, then it will be give him one season to get us out of League 1...... I think change now for someone to come in who can settle in ready for next season, while hopefully keeping us up

Before I get pelted about who the replacement should be, there've been a few names banded about, but I don't know and he ain't my job to know.
    I think the right chance will be when he's had a fair crack in the championship. I see it that last season we over achieved, which probably hasn't done us any real favors.

If we let Powell manage the club, sign players, offer contracts to key players I believe he will see us safe this season then we and Roland can re-assess where we are. At the point where Roland bought the club, it was a mess. Players/staff unhappy with contracts, agents looking for moves, pitch unplayable. If players were promised contracts which have not materialised, the agents will be looking to get their players moved on, it's in their interest and how they make a living.

Powell could have walked out on the shambles of a regime we've just got rid of and I honestly believe we'd be rock bottom, possibly without a new owner. Lets get Powell signed up, the players we want signed up, some trust back between the players and the club.

My biggest worry this season is heading for a relegation scrap with a team of players who are out of contract in a few months/weeks. Those 50/50 tackles, players thinking about their hamstring when chasing down an opposing player, it's a recipe for disaster.
  • Options

Agreed. Although I would be happy if an experienced first team coach was appointed to provide new ideas

This. Often frustrates me that managers are ever-willing to move players on but are reluctant to try freshening up the coaching side.

Always thought that moving Mervyn Day on was the solution when we were stagnant under Curbs. Same may apply here...