Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Stephens done deal (sold to Brighton)

Comments

• Options
    Stephens was never going to stay if the right offer came in. It's a shame as he's finally hit some consistent form for us, but I don't think he's as big a loss as Wiggins or particularly Yann would be.
  • Options

Wanted to move back up north, so goes to Brighton. He either knows f**k all about geography or the map on his bedroom wall is upside down................

He got his directions from Dowies satnav
  • Options
    edited January 2014

But Roland did have a choice - sign up Powell and listen to him re player contracts. Instead he has chisen a different way. So not entirely the previous regime's fault....

agree, the mess was down to TJ and MS.

How it is being cleared up (we hope) is down to RD.

The best analogy I can think off, and I hope this doesn't offend, it that CAFC has been unwell for a while now. It needs a major operation, maybe an heart by-pass.

If the Op goes well CAFC will be much healthier in the long run but in the short term there is going to be pain and things will be very dodgy.

not saying Yann or Dale are the sickness, it is their contracts that are the problem.

Maybe long term it will work out but right now this doesn't feel too good.
  • Options
    Bye Dale, thanks for the past 2 and half years proved me wrong this season with improved performances. Hope he goes on to be a success at Brighton (just not when he plays us)
  • Options
    to be fair to dale he's never come out and said he wanted a move, or even a move north. This has all come from the sewing circle and chinese whispers of charlton life
  • Options

to be fair to dale he's never come out and said he wanted a move, or even a move north. This has all come from the sewing circle and chinese whispers of charlton life

www1.skysports.com/football/news/11684/8872044/chris-powell-will-allow-homesick-dale-stephens-to-leave-charlton
  • Options
    RD is proving to be a hard/focused businessman. Offering contracts considered by him as a "sensible risk" which have been "bettered" by other clubs forcing our "talent" to move out - but we got a fee before all were out of contract in the Summer. Bringing in younger (cheaper?) replacements who show potential and perhaps a good sell on price (profit) after being further developed at Charlton. Firm business plan without much (if any) sentiment. Not comfortable with it but maybe I need to be hauled into the present? Feeling hurt by the emotional damage caused by some of our best/favoirite players leaving and trying to convince myself that it is all for the best? If that makes sense.
  • Options
    Good young players on long deals - I presume the strategy is about selling them for a high price in a couple of years. Stephens may have met that criteria too - but probably was clear he didn't want to stay and was promised he could go. Yann, unfortuantely doesn't meet that. But I think there is 3 years at Championship level easily left in him - pace plays no part in his game. I would love to see us find a way to keep him at the 11th hour.
  • Options

No need to be so insulting especially as was confirmed by Chris Powell

www1.skysports.com/football/news/11684/8872044/chris-powell-will-allow-homesick-dale-stephens-to-leave-charlton
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

please kent don't let the truth get in the way of a bullshit story

• Options
    'It was TJ and MS who let their contracts run down when they had months to re-sign them so not forgiving them at all.'

Have you looked at the other Championship teams list of players contracts running down.
    I believe Leicester and Barnsley have more than us and several others the same, so this running down contracts
    is a smoke screen. Personally I would rather keep our best players i.e. Yann, Stephens and Wiggins, than
    gamble on untried foreign players with no experience of this league!
    At least previous board got these players in!
  • Options
    Out of the three....rhoys is the classiest operator in his position. Given an equal marketin terms of contracts...he would fetch by far the most.

Its starting to look up.

good luck dale. U tried hard these last 8 months. The move further South does appear totally contradictory to the noises you were making 12 months ago.
  • Options
    Must have meant the Cyclist wiggins..............
  • Options
    On OS - Wiggins has signed new deal!
  • Options
    get in. 24 hours is a longtime in football,....in a post RD takeover it is an enternity.

i hope many others are now feeling better than the did this morning.
  • Options
    not sure now Stephens has gone who in the midfield has the ability to make an incisive forward pass

• Options

not sure now Stephens has gone who in the midfield has the ability to make an incisive forward pass

Has he officially gone?
  • Options

Has he officially gone?
    is it on the O/S?
  • Options
    No word on the fee agreed? Would hope it's a chunk of the 2.5m they're selling Bridcutt for.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Kap10 said:

Has he officially gone?
    is it on the O/S?
    Not on the O.S. Would not be surprised if he stayed and moved in the summer to a northern club. Although C.P. talked in his press conference as if Stephens had left.

• Options
    edited January 2014

No word on the fee agreed? Would hope it's a chunk of the 2.5m they're selling Bridcutt for.

Unlikely (to be a big chunk) with only 6 months left on his contract.

• Options
    The next key signing has to be a decent centre mid with some pedigree.

I know Astrid can play there but Stephens has looked the part this year and will be a big position to fill alongside Cousins.
  • Options

Astrid has the skill but does he have the ability to impose himself on a game?
  • Options

Have not seen him, so others can comment better but I heard Astrid has little pace and mobility
  • Options
    Kap10 said:

Have not seen him, so others can comment better but I heard Astrid has little pace and mobility
    Stephens is no greyhound to be fair....
  • Options
    Charlton Athletic FC ‏@CAFCofficial 37s
    BREAKING NEWS: Dale Stephens joins @OfficialBHAFC --> http://bit.ly/1czBNYR #cafc pic.twitter.com/0zJPRAlqnr
  • Options
    "The club will now look to use the funds received from the transfer to help secure suitable reinforcements to the playing squad before the end of the January transfer window."
    I like that bit at least.

Read more at http://www.cafc.co.uk/news/article/20140130-dale-stephens-signs-for-brighton-1327811.aspx#Fb22OoYPueRDcE7X.99
  • Options
    As annoying as it is, I can live with that. I could also live with Yann going (now we have these signings). What really would've rattled my cage is if Wiggins went. All in all, there's been more ups than downs today.
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    Not seen him play this year, so have to bow down to those who have (even my dad has stopped moaning about him to be fair so he must have improved somewhat) , but based on what I saw of him last season and in the league 1 run in, I was not that impressed. I think he's eminently replaceable, the question is do we have time.

Is Astrid a ready made replacement? Can we use this money to buy some pace and delivery out on the wings?

Good luck anyway Dale, you seem a decent lad and at this precise moment Brighton is a step up and they play the kind of football that should suit you.