Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Stephens done deal (sold to Brighton)

Comments

• Looks and plays like a poor mans ozil.

We've got Jordan Cousins
    We've got Jordan Cousins
    La la la la
  • so... how much did he go for?

Anyone?
  • so... how much did he go for?

Anyone?
    Rumoured 500k rising to 700k
  • Thanks. Not a lot but with 6 months to go on his contract i guess we can't get much more
  • I will be willing to eat Powell's flat cap if we got anything near 500k. That's madness money for a player that will be worth less than a penny Sweet in 6 months and pretty impressed if true.
  • Great player. Should do well at Brighton - good fit.

Bit worrying selling one of the few players that has some creativity and ability to pick a pass.

Good luck Dale, you always stood out, even when the ball was being hoofed.
  • Overrated player of limited ability. Will be warming the bench by March.
  • Playing for a team like to pass the ball and on a decent pitch-I definitely see him getting better and better.
  • masicat said:

Overrated player of limited ability. Will be warming the bench by March.

Bit of a marmite player, but personally always felt it was more a case of him being perfectly able, but limited by the playing style of the team surrounding him.

We shall see how he gets on in the pass and move style at the Amex.
  • Sponsored links:

• jac52 said:

I will be willing to eat Powell's flat cap if we got anything near 500k. That's madness money for a player that will be worth less than a penny Sweet in 6 months and pretty impressed if true.

I agree except for the fact that Brighton have lost Bridcutt, Crofts is out injured, and they are in touching distance of the play offs. 500k is peanuts if you get promoted.

• Not as gutted by this as the rumours of Yann going, though I like Dale and have really enjoyed his partnership with Cousins this season but always knew he was going to leave. Wish him well, scored some corkers and played some sublime football at times, even if they were fairly rare. I think he will do well at Brighton.
  • thanks for your wonder goals good luck at brighton dale!
  • finally got the big move he wanted, is this how low we've got?
  • jac52 said:

I will be willing to eat Powell's flat cap if we got anything near 500k. That's madness money for a player that will be worth less than a penny Sweet in 6 months and pretty impressed if true.

I agree except for the fact that Brighton have lost Bridcutt, Crofts is out injured, and they are in touching distance of the play offs. 500k is peanuts if you get promoted.

....is the correct answer.
  • Dale, the league isn't a map of England.

Just because Brighton are above us, doesn't make it any closer to home.
  • finally got the big move he wanted, is this how low we've got?

Yes this is what it has come down to mate, Brighton are a two bob club who are due to mess up soon and start dropping down the leagues

In 2000-2001 we finished 7th in the premier league, in the same season Brighton were in division three. This is what it has come down to. We are in a world of s**t
  • edited January 2014
    Plus one more thing on Stephens he is a nothing player, a feather weight.

Can you imagine him playing against the likes of Toure and Nasri? He would walk on that pitch a man and leave a boy. He will be on the floor begging them for mercy. Who cares he has gone much better around. Now cousins he is a different tool. Hope he stays he has potential to be a fantastic midfielder.
  • Strange that Brighton used to get 30,000 for big matches , and are owned by a multi millionaire who"s reduced expenditure over the last year. Great player to watch, struggled in a cm 2, and it's that problem without an excellent all action player next to him he's relying on the opposition not pressing him. Without Crofts it'd be a worry.

• Sponsored links:

• was there some sort of beard competition going on at Sparrows Lane?
  • MSE7 said:

Plus one more thing on Stephens he is a nothing player, a feather weight.

Can you imagine him playing against the likes of Toure and Nasri? He would walk on that pitch a man and leave a boy. He will be on the floor begging them for mercy. Who cares he has gone much better around. Now cousins he is a different tool. Hope he stays he has potential to be a fantastic midfielder.

Have to disagree with this regarding Stephens. He's obviously got talent and potential. When Villa didn't sign him, they signed Ashley Westwood from Crewe instead. Similar sort of player. He seems to have adapted to the Premier League quite well and is a regular for them. I think Stephens playing in a good side on a good surface could be a hell of a player. Good luck to him.
  • @beckyhilton4: Only took 3years to finally settle in and now were off further south :(:( goodbye Charlton hello Brighton!!

Dales mrs aint happy haha
  • She cant exactly moan. All she probably has to do all day is sit around or go shopping.
  • or go shopping.

plenty of those in The Lanes.

• @beckyhilton4: Only took 3years to finally settle in and now were off further south :(:( goodbye Charlton hello Brighton!!

Dales mrs aint happy haha

Absolute sort.
  • The most frustrating player in the team, had the ability but rarely played to his full potential. I agree he improved alongside Cousins this season but still didn't create or score enough for an attacking MF.

Don't think its right to blame the players around him as spome have - a fit Jackson alongside Hughes last season coincided with our best run since promotion to Champ and JJ was far more effective going forward (goals and assists) than Stephens has been.
    Also a bit lightweight and hopeless in the air for a player of his height.

• Richard Cawley ‏@RichCawleySLP 6m
    Just caught up with Dale Stephens, who reckons Yann will be biggest loss at #cafc. "He is our talisman, we look to him when times are hard."
    Stephens also admitted uncertainty over Chris Powell's long-term future was an influencing factor in him deciding to join Brighton. #cafc
    Just caught up with Dale Stephens, who reckons Yann will be biggest loss at #cafc. "He is our talisman, we look to him when times are hard."
    Stephens also admitted uncertainty over Chris Powell's long-term future was an influencing factor in him deciding to join Brighton. #cafc

Just caught up with Dale Stephens, who reckons Yann will be biggest loss at #cafc. "He is our talisman, we look to him when times are hard. #cafc

All our best teams in recent years under Curbs and Powell relied on teamwork and no stand out stars - the team have been under performing for some time and its not healthy relying on one player to keep us going when times are hard - the other 10 need to step up as well - maybe if the rest of the team showed as much passion and commitment - and that includes you Dale - we wouldn't be bottom 3