Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Get #dontsellyannkermorgant trending on twitter tomorrow

Comments

• Options
    Parker and bent are not charlton legends.
  • Options
    Legend Maybee not
    But a player who has given us hope definitely
    Yann definitely gives us as fans a lift and against the odds
    A little bit of hope
    So to some he could be classed as a hero/legend
  • Options

No?

The fact they went for serious money and helped the club and the fact they were two of the best players ever to wear a charlton shirt makes them legends to me. Parker was with us since a kid.
  • Options
    Rothko said:

Cult hero not legend.

Legends are the likes of Kinsella, Bent and Parker

That's exactly the point, you have Bent as a legend, I'd give Kerms more legendary status.

For me "legend" isn't a question of who was best, that player also has to stand for something. Kinsella undoubtedly fits that bill, Parker maybe but not Bent for me, he was just an excellent player for a couple of seasons when the club was doing well. Yann appeared on the scene when the club was at its lowest ebb for decades. He scored some fabulous goals, showed a level of commitment that we hadn't seen for years and won a spot in the hearts of many fans. That, to me, makes him a legend - others disagree and that's fine, that's football.
  • Options

Like when the idiots sing the Adams family song

You think they' re the same group of fans?

Whom would you describe as a legend ?
    Mendonca, Will Smith, Hales i would even put Rufus in there o and Kinsella o and of cause Bartram and Jimmy Seed.
  • Options
    If the best striker the club has ever had at the highest level isn't a legend, then I give up
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    Rothko said:

If the best striker the club has ever had at the highest level isn't a legend, then I give up

Again - you're using the word "best" - for me that doesn't automatically equal "legend". If it does for you then that's fine, no need to give up.
  • Options
    Personally I think legend is over used, it should only be used for players that are with a club a long time or would have been if injury or circumstances beyond their control lead to their departure. So although he only made two hundred appearances Kinsella is one, without his knees being finished he would not have been sold.

However that is my opinion and it is a subjective word and you are all entitled to disagree (even though you are wrong).
  • Options
    MSE7 said:

No?

The fact they went for serious money and helped the club and the fact they were two of the best players ever to wear a charlton shirt makes them legends to me. Parker was with us since a kid.
    For me, there's a difference between the two. Parker greedily jumped at the Russian gangster's shilling rather than waiting til the summer, having helped us into Europe. And much good that did him, playing wise. Darren Bent gave his all for our relegation struggle, and waited quietly during the summer to let the club get the best deal for him. I'm sorry for how his career's gone since, but I blame that twat Redknapp for that. So yes, I'll give DB legend status, but not Parker.

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    Not a legend for me (can understand he may be for those younger) but nevertheless a great servant to our club and I'd like him to stay, but won't cry if he goes and gets a final payday.

The squad needs a massive freshening up however and if the new guys are decent, Yann might find himself benched and that would be sad.

I think that all (up to a level) of our players are replaceable if we have funds, maybe things could turn our for the better?

A Yann replacement may not have the swashbucklingness (new word?) of 'our' Cantona, but may be more prolific.

I understand many are distraught but it's not for me.

• Options
    edited January 2014

Cringe

The lad is clearly properly a youngster and even if he is not does it matter to you?

Stig said:

Why, as Charlton fans, do we allow ourselves to become embarrassed by others' opinions?

Exactly. Always baffles me.

Some people want their favourite player to carry on playing for us.

It's as simple as that. You don't need to suddenly become a contract expert.

Spot on.
  • Options
    It is all relative surely. One Man's legend is another Mans cult hero.
  • Options
    Just reported on anither thread that he's having medical at Bournemouth this morning!
  • Options
    My 10 year old son think he's a legend and considering he's grown up supporting Charlton teams that have mostly been full of very average players , legend status is ok with me.
  • Options
    Rothko said:

Absolutely agree.

Darren Bent is a Charlton legend. FACT.

• Options
    NLA's big balls used to be legends until it turned out they could be seduced by Belgian money
  • Options
    I really like Yann but if Peter Parsley comes in and impresses, or Reza gets a brace in the next game, the kids will have a new legend and Yann will just be an ex player.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

NLA's big balls used to be legends until it turned out they could be seduced by Belgian money

Bugger I thought they where sucked in by Belguim money.
  • Options
    My point is that we have all, over the years had our favourite players leave but I cannot remember a reaction like this... to the extent of some sending their season tickets back/not renewing because of it.

Maybe that's just social media nowadays though.

• Options

Who is and is not a legend is simply a matter of opinion.

Bent is a legend
    Parker is not a legend -due to the manner and timing of departure
    Yann is a legend
  • Options
    Rothko said:

Is Allan Simonsen a legend? It's not all about ability.
  • Options
    John Barnes was a legend
  • Options
    Real legends don't exist - like Dracula
  • Options
    Carl Leaburn is a legend
  • Options
    My balls aint waivered have they I told you all to chill

#whywerenttheextensiontriggered
  • Options
    I was in the 'cult hero' group up until recently. Yann is likely to be the most popular player we have had for any supporters under the age of about 20 - that's a bit percentage of our fanbase, whole generations worth.

Give it ten years time, and I've a feeling that people will still be talking fondly of Yann. We aren't the sort of club who in this day and age are likely to create 'legends'....players don't stick around long enough.

For me, YK is as close to 'legend' as Charlton are likely to have when you look at the last 5 years or so.