Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Billy Bonds

Comments

• Wish I'd seen him play for us (I did see him play for them). I was talking to an aged hammer fan at work today about him and he was absolutely gushing.
  • Stig said:

Wish I'd seen him play for us (I did see him play for them). I was talking to an aged hammer fan at work today about him and he was absolutely gushing.

Quite rightly.
    As a player for West Ham, over 21 years he redefined the terms legend, talisman, icon or whatever. Think Mark Kinsella and square that number, he was that good for them.
    This is after 100 games in our colours.
  • Yep i can still remember Billy rampaging through central midfield, he just loved doing that.
    So it was a no brainer when W- Ham converted him to DM.

Back in the day Billy and Mike Bailey were my favorite players and they still are.

My mother worked in the same shop as Billy's brother at Middle Park.
  • My Dad and I first went to games from 1963 and he really liked Billy Bonds when he broke into the first team.I just saw eleven players.And Howard Kendall when he played for Preston was another of Dad's favourites.And Jim Montgomery of Sunderland.The start of the rot at Charlton when Billy Bonds was sold! I remember watching Mike Bailey in the home game v Boro in the FA Cup and he then broke his leg in the replay.Freaked me out thinking about it,the first Charlton player I had known to suffer a bad injury.
    Happy days!
  • Went to the same primary school as Billy (way after him) middle Park in Eltham 
  • A proper professional footballer ...still looks as fit as a fiddle ...a class act 
  • Legend. 
  • DA9 said:
    Went to the same primary school as Billy (way after him) middle Park in Eltham 
    He was a few years younger than my dad so used to go in goal when the boys on the estate played matches after school. Naming stands - i think if Curbishley came back and was to oversee a renaissance in our fortunes, he can have the main stand named after him.   
  • I see Billy in Bromley quite often. He walks in from the Chislehurst /Bickey direction.

I saw him once when driving down Elmstead Lane on the way to work. I thought i was seeing things. I didn't know wether he was of to the train station on Elmstead lane or going to get a bus to Eltham. 
    the nearest we have had to Bonzo since he left was John Humphrey - an almost identical style of FB and probably the best FB we have ever had. We could have a separate thread on full backs alone but if we were talking about the most cultured FB then that would have to be Mark Reid and to a lesser extent Scotty Minto. Funny though when Scotty was playing for our youth team I though the FB on the other side was the one who would make the grade but he disappeared without trace - his name Paul Bacon.

• Sponsored links:

• Should've been 880 games for CAFC.

• His Parents lived down the same road as me in Eltham when I was a kid - would often see him when my friends and I were playing football in the street. 
  • the nearest we have had to Bonzo since he left was John Humphrey - an almost identical style of FB and probably the best FB we have ever had. We could have a separate thread on full backs alone but if we were talking about the most cultured FB then that would have to be Mark Reid and to a lesser extent Scotty Minto. Funny though when Scotty was playing for our youth team I though the FB on the other side was the one who would make the grade but he disappeared without trace - his name Paul Bacon.
    Agree completely re Mark Reid. He was majestic. I used to say he was worth the entrance money alone because he was so good to watch. Loved a penalty too.
  • Sometimes people say you can't compare players from different eras. I think Billy Bonds would've played at the top level of football at any time, including the present day.
  • I must have seen him when I was very young, as my parents told me I called him Billy Bombs.
  • edited March 2019
    What was the deal with Billy? - i.e. Why did we sell?

Was a bit before my time yet was it down to being a Second Division team at the time and couldnt stop him from going to the top flight / financial difficulty or was Glikstein a bit of a modern day Roland who tore people's arms off for the transfer fee over what was happening on the pitch?
  • What was the deal with Billy? - i.e. Why did we sell?

Was a bit before my time yet was it down to being a Second Division team at the time and couldnt stop him from going to the top flight / financial difficulty or was Glikstein a bit of a modern day Roland who tore people's arms off for the transfer fee over what was happening on the pitch?
    West Ham came calling and Bonds and the owner couldn't resist the call .. also, Bob Curtis was waiting in the wings, so the loss was not absolutely crucial
  • What was the deal with Billy? - i.e. Why did we sell?

West Ham came calling and Bonds and the owner couldn't resist the call .. also, Bob Curtis was waiting in the wings, so the loss was not absolutely crucial
    I believe he is a Charlton fan as well.
  • Sponsored links:

• Yes Charlton was his childhood team. He was sold because we were a selling club under the Glikstein regime. Bonds was young and raw, and we had Curtis to cover. Probably Glover and Campbell were greater blows to come. 

• WH were a strong team. One of their few weak links was Eddie Bovington at RB. Billy Bonds was an obvious choice to replace him. Billy would have gone nowhere except West Ham and it was our misfortune that at the time they needed a RB. However, we were lucky that Bob Curtis was there to step up. Two wonderful players.

• Yes Charlton was his childhood team. He was sold because we were a selling club under the Glikstein regime. Bonds was young and raw, and we had Curtis to cover. Probably Glover and Campbell were greater blows to come. 

Indeed, not forgetting Mike Bailey as well, and Marvin Hinton, although Hinton was much earlier, about 1963 I think.

Indeed, not forgetting Mike Bailey as well, and Marvin Hinton, although Hinton was much earlier, about 1963 I think.
    Yes I started going in early 1963 and saw Hinton play. His was the first transfer that registered with me.
  • LenGlover said:
    Yes Charlton was his childhood team. He was sold because we were a selling club under the Glikstein regime. Bonds was young and raw, and we had Curtis to cover. Probably Glover and Campbell were greater blows to come. 

Yes I started going in early 1963 and saw Hinton play. His was the first transfer that registered with me.
    but he was replaced with the excellent Frank Haydock
  • LenGlover said:
    Yes Charlton was his childhood team. He was sold because we were a selling club under the Glikstein regime. Bonds was young and raw, and we had Curtis to cover. Probably Glover and Campbell were greater blows to come. 

Loved Frank Haydock, one of my early heroes.

Always played with his shorts hitched up and I seem to remember he was prone to getting cuts to his head so he'd go off for a few minutes and reappear with a swathe of white bandages wrapped around his bonce and play on as brave as ever, never shirked a challenge.

Plucked from Man U's reserves by Frank Hill.
  • LenGlover said:

Always played with his shorts hitched up and I seem to remember he was prone to getting cuts to his head so he'd go off for a few minutes and reappear with a swathe of white bandages wrapped around his bonce and play on as brave as ever, never shirked a challenge.

I was a big Haydock fan as well .. very good old fashioned 1/2 back line with Bailey and Tocknell
  • LenGlover said:

I was a big Haydock fan as well .. very good old fashioned 1/2 back line with Bailey and Tocknell
    That's right, 63-64 we had some great players, as well as the ones mentioned there was Jackie Kennedy, Roy Matthews, Mick Rose, Dennis Edwards, Brian Kinsey and the great Eddie Firmani who turned down a big money move to stay in Italy to return to his spiritual home.

26th October 1963, Charlton 5 Cardiff City 2, one of my top five Charlton matches of all time.
  • LenGlover said:

That's right, 63-64 we had some great players, as well as the ones mentioned there was Jackie Kennedy, Roy Matthews, Mick Rose, Dennis Edwards, Brian Kinsey and the great Eddie Firmani who turned down a big money move to stay in Italy to return to his spiritual home.

26th October 1963, Charlton 5 Cardiff City 2, one of my top five Charlton matches of all time.
    and of course Mike Kenning and the old geezer who posts on here, Len Glover ((:>)