Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Car Mechanical advice

2»

Comments

• Options
    It might be worth fettling his big end to try and start it or could simply be a result of failing to regularly grease the nipples.
  • Options
    Phew!
  • Options
    I was thinking the same one lung. What a lot of sensible comments, I thought.
    Nice to see your back on your game Dave.
  • Options
    Sure uve used plenty of lube on the old girl?
    Might need a little fondle or tweek to get her started
  • Options
    few things gone including new drive shaft needed apparently....£600 @‌ Claremonts Welling

great!!!!
  • Options
    They must be ok to still be going as remember them from 20 years ago when I lived in welling
  • Options
    Burn it
  • Options

few things gone including new drive shaft needed apparently....£600 @‌ Claremonts Welling

great!!!!

Might not seem like it when your forking out but £600 very cheap for what needs doing, parts will be near enough 300 even at trade price, plus a lot of labour time!
  • Options
    yeah I know, like the garage and they've always done a good job......just could've done without the payout at this precise moment!
  • Options
    Shouldnt have let her try to parallel park the motor then.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I only bought her the car in Jan!
  • Options
    Women drivers aye!!!!
  • Options

Did you buy it private or from trade?
  • Options
    My dad works away a lot and he came back at the weekend. I was away and he went through some paperwork and saw that I needed an MOT. Trying to be nice he tried to arrange that for me and took my car (Renault Clio 07 plate) to Kwik fit in Lee High Road as he had found a deal online for £99 (service and MOT). They failed the car on its MOT and said that the following needed repairs

-Brake Pads
    -The anti roll bar linkage was fractured
    -Wipers did not sufficiently clear the windscreen
    -The rear mount for the exhaust was not adequately supporting
    -Hand brake lever was insecure

They quoted him £700 to fix all of that, including manual labour. He didnt want to do any of that without my permission (I guess he thought it would sail through the MOT?) so just took it home and left it until I got back Monday.

I took it this morning to where I usually take it, Citreon Centre at Erith Marshes. £200 for a full service and MOT. They said that all I needed was new brake pads which would cost £30 including fitting (kwik fit quoted £93). The wipers were an advisory but they said that there was no problem with the exhaust fitting, he said that the anti roll bar was fine as well. He also said that they had not replaced part of the filter on the oil which would have seen it leak (it was leaking apparently) and eventually run out and blew up the engine.

Also, even though my dad had paid for a service with kwik fit, they hadnt changed the spark plugs, topped up the brake fluid or antifreeze or even screenwash.

So instead of paying out over £800 for work inc service and MOT with Kwik Fit I paid £230 for a full service and MOT to get it passed the MOT. So essentially I will be trying to get my dad's £99 back from Kwik Fit. I can not recommend the Citreon Centre enough and I will be advising everyone I know to avoid Kwik Fit! Complete charlatans!
  • Options
    Loco said:

I took my Omega into a Vauxhall dealer because a CD got stuck in the player, cost me £800, never been back.

And you paid it?????
  • Options

Did you buy it private or from trade?
    part exchange via Autotrader, a dealer (but worked from home)
  • Options
    Basically don't ever take your vehicle to a main dealer or quick fit/formula one

If you live near medway drop me a line and I'll give you a mate of mines details who runs a garage in Rochester. Won't be beaten on price and is a very, very good mechanic
  • Options

great!!!!

Some people will do anything to try and get out of renewing their season tickets!
  • Options
    already renewed...
  • Options

@Charltonparklane‌ what was the outcome ???

Sorry Dan, never see this, anyway, manager phoned me back said I'd been overcharged £60 charged me twice for something heshouldnt have.

I knew it before I even see the price he quoted me as he was just stalling, couldn't look me in the eye, absolute thief, would make a nice Xmas bonus if you got extra £50 per customer.
    As well, he said, you suspension is bleeding as well and will need doing.
    Just had mot in blacken last week, nothing wrong at all, even when I mentioned the suspension, he said no, no its fine.
    Will never ever go back there, serious, avoid at all costs

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    Another warning for you. Avoid Go Vauxhall/Chevrolet (formally Whitmore's) in Chislehurst like the plague.

Got our car back from them yesterday after a snapped clutch pedal was dealt with via a recall.

No idea why, but they have had to remove part of the dash board to do the work and have ruined it.

They clearly levered it out with screw drivers as there is broken/split/torn trim all around the area they have removed. Have also scratched the top of the dashboard quite alarmingly.

Going back tomorrow and they will be fixing it whether they like it or not.

Absolutely fuming.
  • Options
    That was the place clem,
  • Options
    We've got a Vauxhall Zafira Mk2 2013 plate. 

A couple of months ago I realised that the passenger side front hub was making a noise so we had someone come out and replace it. At the time he told us the brake pads were very low but money being tight we only got them sorted along with the discs (both front wheels) this week.

The wife has been complaining of a knocking noise since, I got in this morning and sure enough when I brake there's a knocking. Got the guy to come out and have a look and he ran a diagnostic and found that the front left ABS sensor is flagging up which is the wheel theu changed the hub on. 

Now looking online since he left if seems to me that it's possible the new hub had a sensor with it so surely that's their responsibility to correct. 

Any experts here know if I'm right on this?
  • Options
    edited September 2020
    Check this out straight away, a hub might have not been fitted correctly. The hub securing nut maybe loose causing the hub to "run out".  
  • Options
    Had same problem on my vauxhall van. Twats at garage didnt tighten the 2 nuts on the caliper after pads changed. Buggerd me new pads and 1 disc.  Every time i breaked it would knock.
  • Options
    Does sound like a loose caliper to me
  • Options
    Does it pull to one side when braking?
    Stering wheel vibrate??