Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

players turning down contracts what does this tell us about the owner?

I can't believe we have not replaced dale Stephens. I understand he is out of contract at the end of the season so any money is better than no money but why has both dale and yann turned down contracts does that tell us the something more about the owner

Comments

• I don't know much about him only what iv read but why are our 2 best players not buying into his vision for the future of the club
  • Maybe as Stephens said... they didnt want to sign a new Contract without knowing what would happen to Powell...
  • I don't think it will be long before Powell takes over at leeds
  • it tells us that the players concerned considered that they would be better off playing for another club .. that is their prerogative .. money and playing prospects are usually the main generators for wanting a move ... who the owner is is probably irrelevant, he's just the geezer who picks up the bills and pays the wages
  • dancafc said:

I don't think it will be long before Powell takes over at leeds

Frying pan and fire springs to mind :0)
  • I agree but I wouldn't blame him
  • i sort of feel like the whole club needs a turnaround again. maybe not as big as the one before but the plan of promotion to the prem failed(due to the last crap owner). i think thsi time if we are patient and wait for the youngsters to come through to be accompanied by the signings we already have then promotion could happen. yann and dale are only players and didn't buy into our vision. everyone is saying how we need replacements for stephens but if cousins can do it, so can poyet. i am pretty confident we will stay up considering the new strikers we have. tbh, the more you think about it why should we be sad dale has gone. he had a mixed season at first in which he missed half of it. he sulked after staying with us and played terribly. i can remember so many games he just coudn't be fucked. he plays well for half a season and suddenly all is forgiven like that. kermorgant was a big loss but if he want's to move on then fine, he is 32 and needs all the money he can get. enough said
  • Sponsored links:

• dancafc said:

I don't think it will be long before Powell takes over at leeds

Not a chance, not gonna sign up with another nutty foreign chairman having just got away from one
  • I was never a big fan of Stephens but we need our experienced players to sign contracts so the younger or new players not used to English football can learn from them
  • Stephens is thick, wanted to go back north to..... Brighton.

Jan was pissed off with the offer & went to Bournemouth.

If either of them are that good somebody better would have been in for them, they have gone lets move on.
  • Poyet & Cousins but perhaps with his quick football brain, Jordan can push further forward. Holmes-Dennis may get a look in also.
  • Dale has been unsettled since well before the takeover. I reckon Yann got an offer too good to turn down for a 32 year old. Maybe that's all there is to it.
  • I'm all for pushing the youngsters on but we won't stay up with kids and players that don't know the English league
  • or another view is that with the new financial regulations our owner knows the value of the player and isn't willing to sign an inflated contract.

I congratulate him as it is about time financial reality reached football. OK it is a gamble and if it fails we'll be relegated, but it is a gamble worth taking.

Well said LL
  • Aapparently RD has installed a wage system at Standard Liege where players has a truly basic salary but it is well complemented with a truly generous win bonus AND a reasonable draw bonus. This enables the recruitment of players with a "can-do" mentality hence the emphasis on youth and players who play for the team. I think that this isn't attracting players who feel that the basic was not enough, perhaps?

I say feck them, I think that this strategy in itself is a good one asit motivates players to win games by two/three clear goals (standard scored five in at least three games) so it's exciting times ahead for us all, perhaps!
  • It tells me he is offering contracts, something that hasnt been a recurring theme of late.
  • Hope your right
  • Sponsored links:

• ...and Wiggins signing a new deal...what does that tell us?
  • there are big changes going on at the club and I agree with a lot of comments on here. If anyone doesn't buy into the new ethos, which as stated seems to be relying on youth and playing hardball with agents, then they are not worth keeping. Dale and kerm are gone, lets move on together, even if it takes a while to settle in. It may mean relegation this season, but that was starting to look likely with the existing squad, so I don't see that we had much to lose tbh.

I like the idea of basic plus decent win/draw bonuses, will focus the minds of the players, rather than them picking up fat salaries regardless.

Onwards and upwards, COYR.
  • edited January 2014
    Very little can be gathered about Msr. Duchatelet's vision/competence just yet. Stephens had rumours linking him with a move away in the January after he signed for us, and they've been recurrent since then. Yann is fast approaching his last chance at big money, and has a family to think of. One player who has neither of those is Wiggins, who in fact signed a contract offered by... the same owner.

I don't know the terms of the contracts but Wiggins clearly liked them, the new signings have been given pretty hefty contracts in terms of length, so RD is clearly not a fool. My guess is that he is playing players/their agents at their own game and refusing to blink first, and we'll see other players turn down contracts that don't meet their demands. In contrast, I also think new players that come in will be determined to succeed, and less money motivated than many that have 'graced' the Valley in the far from distant past.
  • `players turning down contracts what does this tell us about the owner?'

Not much tbh.....I mean it's not a lot to go on is it. We can speculate though....and I reckon RD has an evolving business model regarding age/worth/value of players and he ain't gonna change his views anytime soon.

I think its fairly common knowledge that Stephens was looking for a way out and had been for some time. The homesick thing was obviously bollox so I can only assume he views all clubs as potential stepping stones to greater things. Shame cos he's looked really good this season but if his heart is not in playing for the club I don't want him here. I've not a problem with him though.....each to their own and all that. He served us well whilst here so good luck to him.

Yann on the other hand, well, they made him an offer....well RD made him an offer....and Yann found he could do better elsewhere. It's as simple as that. We'll never know the full ins and outs but whatever they were it was enough for Yann to choose to leave. We don't know enough to be able to assign `blame' to either party tbh.
    Like everyone else I'm gutted he's gone and can't help but think how exciting our attacking options would have been with our two new strikers and him in the same squad.....SOD IT!!!

Obviously the slant of the thread is to be negative regarding players contracts etc......but Wiggins, along with all the new guys, signed on the dotted line. This fact should also be noted.
  • We have replaced him in the short-term with our loan moves, which I think is smarter than rushing to buy a midfielder unproven. We'll have the time to scout a better alternative in the summer. Alternatively, we really need to get our finances under wraps, and if that means losing some players who can't adjust to a wage cut then it's what we have to do - we can't keep flirting with liquidation every couple years

I'd rather have the club last a 100 years yo-yoing between Championship and League One, than get us in the Prem for 5 years and liquidated in 10.
  • Stephens is thick, wanted to go back north to..... Brighton.

Jan was pissed off with the offer & went to Bournemouth.

If either of them are that good somebody better would have been in for them, they have gone lets move on.

Maybe he thought it was New Brighton
  • We all need to be a little more patient regarding Poyet...just saying.
  • @Grapevine49

What a very considered and thought provoking post.
  • Very interesting Grapevine, and I agree about youth players, and as long as we have Paul Hart looking after that side of things, we have a good chance of seeing better and more youth coming through.