Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Too little too late

Comments

• edited February 2014
    CP still has my 100% support. Look forward to seeing these new players.
  • I am also worried, we could now be stronger up front but we will know for a game or two, also Swedish Dave may prove to be an astute signing but there are huge gaps in the squad.

Yet the loan window opens next week and then I think we will really see what is occurring. Deals should be sorted in advance so they can be announced as soon as they can be. For once this club needs to be ready, if they aren't we are buggered.
  • First team players out 3 first team players in 5

So we have more bodies to choose from

We have lost Yann who would miss prob 5 games of the remaining 20 with an injury and Dale who this season has been as consistant as I can recall

We have the same chance of going down now as we did before

In every game we have lost all you read is we don't create enough

So if we didn't create enough with the 2 that have left then why is it more of a problem now

Wiggins and wilson still to come back in
    That will give more width

We have a keeper who made an error on his debut and then made 3 good saves

We have a midfielder who last year wouldve been welcomed in taking dale stevens place as dale was off his game big time however this he has been our most creative but whose assists are less than church

With yann when the stats were done % wise we have won more games he didn't play in and replaced him with 2 players that's goal ratio is as high as any one we have looked at In years

Who are both fast and powerful and have skills in their locker

We have added cover for solly with a young lad who was good enough for Roma to offer a 5 year deal who has fallen off the radar a bit now normally you would read on here powelly will sort that powelly is just the type of mgr needed to do it

So I don't see the weakening is as obvious as some

I think we got them too late for us to see benefits today but I expect by brum at home that we will see signs of improvement

Starting 11 of

Thuram/hamer
    Solly/Loic
    Woods/Cort/morrison/dervite
    Wiggins/wilson/lennon

Cousins/poyet/AA/harriott/Jackson
    Green/wilson/koc

Sordell/church/Goochi/polish pete

Now if the only 3 you add in that were yann alnwick and stephens we are no t really weaker it shows why we are in the position we are

Its easy to say that this gamble fkd it but its obvious looking at that to say we were pretty much in the shit already
  • We also need to replace Stephens and imho Yann to win the number of games required. Could amount to 4 players which is a massive ask in the loan window.
  • edited February 2014
    Cousins came in and made a difference, maybe it is Poyet's time. A bit of a young midfield, so JJ propably needs to be in there to help them. On the principle we have nothing to lose - I'd go with a 3-5-2 against Wigan and hope for the best. Thuram, Morro, Dervitte, Wood, Nego, Wiggins, Cousins, JJ, Poyet, Reza, PP.
  • I'm not too downhearted. When one door closes, another opens. Stephens departure is going to give Diego an opportunity in the same way that Jordan Cousins got his opportunity. When we signed Yann, most people said who's he? And look how good that turned out to be. Let's give these new players a chance, get behind the lads and see where we end up on the the next stage of our journey. I'm looking forward to the next few years believe it or not. The future's bright. The future's red n white...COYA
  • It's not ideal, and obviously hard to argue with the "too late" part of the question. Stephens going seems to have left the bigger void, and yet with his ongoing unsettled backdrop this, you'd have thought, would have been better anticipated.

But nailing down Wiggins, and bringing in some promising new talent, means I'm not doom and gloom by any means, especially if we can get a decent loanee in for CM.

And we surely needed a shake-up of some sort...
  • TBH all that really matters is how the squad feel, if they are upbeat we have a good chance still. I guess Wiggins signing a deal shows they haven't given up yet.
  • NLA we have also lost Stewart so are 4 down as he was a regular too. Maybe not the greatest but at least he knew his way around the Champ.

If one of Koc, Goochy, Pete the Pole and the RB ends up being decent that would be a good ratio for young, untested, cheap foreign imports.
  • No two ways about it if we'd kept Stephens and Kermo with the striking additions I'd think we'd have a decent chance but without our two most positive players Wow we need a miracle
    Whatever midfield he puts out today it will be as limited with attacking ability as you're likely to see
    The midfield needed strengthening not weakening
    Cousins has been getting worse in the last few games and needs a rest , not that he offers much in the attacking third but his ability to break play up play has been brilliant

I like the look of Reza he looks the better prospect of the two

If Nego makes any difference to us that will be a miracle and you'd have to ask what the coaches at up jest missed, we gave Christiansen a 4 year contract when in the prem so what where is he now
    AA , makes Jackson look fast and will need to up his game
    Keeper is neither here nor there I believe ability wise

At no point will Kermo and Stephens not being in our team be good for us

I go to Wigan today with no hope , I'll be explaining to my son and nephew that anything better than a 4-0 defeat will be a result but we'll be rehearsing pronunciation of the new players names and lyrics to all those numerous Charlton songs all the way up in the car

We will sing our hearts out ......COYA

• Sponsored links:

• We were surprised last week at Huddersfield. A perfect day would provide evidence that our new front two are going to be a hot prospect - but Charlton don't do perfect days......do they?

25/05/1998

• Can't say I'm all that happy with dealings or the likely impact on morale and the undermining of the manager's authority.

But I'm with Valley Gary. It aint over till it's over, we're not miles adrift so there is all to play for. The worst thing we can do is give up.

Isn't one of the beauties of football is that you don't know what is going to happen? It's not the threatre where the play always follows the script.

No one knows how it will turn out but that is the drama, the exicitement, the tension.

We are Charlton
    Super Charlton
    Covered End
  • I think we're going down. That isn't the same as waving a white flag, it's saying that I think we're going down. I'm not giving up supporting us.
  • I'm with ooahhh
  • God a bit of optimism please, See what happens
  • We haven't seen these guys play and were writing them off all ready.Lets see what they bring first ,they might actually keep the ball better be more technically gifted then what we had
  • So many new players is a huge risk, especially as they haven't played in England before. I honestly don't know how this will work out. If the new front guys have better movement than Yann, who let's face it was pretty static, we may find the perceived lack of service from midfield is not such an issue, but definitely need more quality in wide areas. Here's hoping for the loan window...
  • I think that we should play church on the wing as an option, quite quick and could track back

Thuram

Nego Morrison Wood Wiggins

Wilson Cousins AA Church

Pete Reza

• I think that we should play church on the wing as an option, quite quick and could track back

Thuram

Wilson Cousins AA Church

Pete Reza

Wilson is suspended
  • Sponsored links:

Thuram

Wilson Cousins AA Church

Pete Reza

Wilson is suspended
    Bollocks,

Id rather 4-3-3 with JJ coming in the middle then
  • I'm glad to read the positivity on this thread and perhaps my slightly doom laden initial post (beer fuelled) was a bit ott. In the cold light of day I don't think it's the players that have gone out or come in that concern me particularly. It's the players that haven't come in. Width worries me and still not that Andy Reid type midfielder.

Absolutely right that we have to get behind the newbies. COYR
  • Personally I think the Birmingham game will be a big test, difference is they have three of ex Man utd players, including the impressive Federico Macheda with a point to prove to get into the united side/squad. My concern is how quickly will the new players take to adapt. I still think we can do it, but cannot afford to many poor performances.
  • First team players out 3 first team players in 5

So we have more bodies to choose from

We have lost Yann who would miss prob 5 games of the remaining 20 with an injury and Dale who this season has been as consistant as I can recall

We have the same chance of going down now as we did before

In every game we have lost all you read is we don't create enough

So if we didn't create enough with the 2 that have left then why is it more of a problem now

Wiggins and wilson still to come back in
    That will give more width

We have a keeper who made an error on his debut and then made 3 good saves

We have a midfielder who last year wouldve been welcomed in taking dale stevens place as dale was off his game big time however this he has been our most creative but whose assists are less than church

With yann when the stats were done % wise we have won more games he didn't play in and replaced him with 2 players that's goal ratio is as high as any one we have looked at In years

Who are both fast and powerful and have skills in their locker

We have added cover for solly with a young lad who was good enough for Roma to offer a 5 year deal who has fallen off the radar a bit now normally you would read on here powelly will sort that powelly is just the type of mgr needed to do it

So I don't see the weakening is as obvious as some

I think we got them too late for us to see benefits today but I expect by brum at home that we will see signs of improvement

Starting 11 of

Thuram/hamer
    Solly/Loic
    Woods/Cort/morrison/dervite
    Wiggins/wilson/lennon

Cousins/poyet/AA/harriott/Jackson
    Green/wilson/koc

Sordell/church/Goochi/polish pete

Now if the only 3 you add in that were yann alnwick and stephens we are no t really weaker it shows why we are in the position we are

Its easy to say that this gamble fkd it but its obvious looking at that to say we were pretty much in the shit already

That's the glass half full view and I like the sound of it.

An alternative view is that it's taking one hell of a risk to bring in 5 players who have little or no experience of the English game and are of questionable fitness and expect them to immediately improve a team whose spine has just been surgically and clumsily removed, no doubt impacting the morale of those remaining in a squad already stretched to the limit.

If Johnnie Jackson can't bring himself to make a deadline day wind up at its most opportune, then I fear we're not starting the fight against relegation with the most happy and united squad.

And try as I might, I can't buy into us being stronger for what's coming without Yann and Dale whatever the stats say.

To me, we're at least a CM short and probably a winger to make the most of two strikers of exciting potential, even if they prove up to this level.

I hope my fears are ill founded.
  • Macheda didn't set the world alight in his 2 earlier loans

I think that we may well have added some much needed pace into our attack and seeing as those attending games say we haven't created nuch in the games maybe the abilty to get in behind now might be the key

Was a great stat the one that said church has more assits than dale and the win % is higher without yann so if we are looking for crumbs there's two and the speed part is another
  • For the first half of the season, we had a strong defence (including the midfield) but could not score a goal (even with Stephens and Yann we have scored just 22 goals - the least in the division)..

Now the defence is, essentially, just the same and the forwards have been given a facelift. We have not lost much in terms of getting goals because we never had much!!!

More reinforcements could have come in - and may still do so - but if the new young players and Poyet hit it off, I think we could surprise. Can they really do worse than 22 goals in half a season???

Tbh Yeovil lost their best player (Upson), Barnsley bought Frimpong, and Sheffield Wednesday lost Connor Wickham who has pretty much turned them round single-handedly. If I was a supporter of any of them, I would be far more worried.

Onwards and upwards!
  • Chin up guys. It was always going to be too much to hope that we would finish yesterday with Wiggins, Yann, Stephens and Powell all still here on extended contracts. And so it proved but in the circumstances we ended up tieing down probably our best (and most valuable) player on a long contract...and more than that CP is still here. For now.

We desperately needed to refresh the squad and I'm pretty certain that after the loan window opens that process will continue.

The biggest question is how will Powelly shuffle his cards? No one knows yet but I wouldn't be surprised to see Reza given a free role off Piotr to drop into midfield which might go some way to providing the creativity we've been lacking, even with Stephens in the side.

We weren't exactly pulling up trees before were we so let's just make sure we give the new lads our 100% support and see what happens.

• We're down. Bottom 3 before the transfer window closed,sold 3 of our best players and bought/loaned 5 in.
    It aint going to work.
    Next season cant come quick enough for me, this year has been a huge disappointment.
  • We're down. Bottom 3 before the transfer window closed,sold 3 of our best players and bought/loaned 5 in.
    It aint going to work.
    Next season cant come quick enough for me, this year has been a huge disappointment.

Is the season over in Feb then?

I've posted before and will probably post it again but most of us predicted we would struggle this year with the previous lack of investment and here we are...struggling. No surprises at all but at least now we've shuffled the pack and given CP some more options and I think in a week or two we'll see even more players coming in. We at least seem to have a little money to spend now rather than always looking to bring in cheap loans as well as the freebies.

Not saying it's not disappointing to lose Yann in particular but the facts were he could have stayed if he wanted but was able to get a better contract elsewhere than we were prepared to offer him. No blame on either part in my book. If there's any blame it lies with those who allowed their contracts to run down to that extent.

Life goes on and we need to get behind CP and the boys that are here or coming in during the next month and see what happens.
  • Wait and see, it looks bleak but we have no idea what impact Reza and Piotr will have yet. Plus we may bring in an out of contract player or a few loans in a week.