Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Too little too late

13»

Comments

• Options
    How many more loan playera can we actually bring in? It would be good ti see another midfielder in. Glad we hve added a couple of potentially exciting forwards. Will church see a game now?
  • Options
    vffvff
    edited February 2014
    cfgs said:

Wait and see, it looks bleak but we have no idea what impact Reza and Piotr will have yet. Plus we may bring in an out of contract player or a few loans in a week.

I hope so.

• Options

We're down. Bottom 3 before the transfer window closed,sold 3 of our best players and bought/loaned 5 in.
    It aint going to work.
    Next season cant come quick enough for me, this year has been a huge disappointment.

Is the season over in Feb then?

I've posted before and will probably post it again but most of us predicted we would struggle this year with the previous lack of investment and here we are...struggling. No surprises at all but at least now we've shuffled the pack and given CP some more options and I think in a week or two we'll see even more players coming in. We at least seem to have a little money to spend now rather than always looking to bring in cheap loans as well as the freebies.

Not saying it's not disappointing to lose Yann in particular but the facts were he could have stayed if he wanted but was able to get a better contract elsewhere than we were prepared to offer him. No blame on either part in my book. If there's any blame it lies with those who allowed their contracts to run down to that extent.

Life goes on and we need to get behind CP and the boys that are here or coming in during the next month and see what happens.
    Clubs at the foot of the table (2nd division) dont just pluck players from obscurity and suddenly have a winning formula at hand. All players throughout Europe and beyond are known to all, there no undiscovered gems in the professional game, at our level.
    Life does go on and Chris Powell, as far as I'm concerned, has proved what he can do, when backed. I will be surprised if he stays . Clubs will be falling over themselves to get his services.
    For me the season, as a contest for us, has ended. I will always support the club and will probably be the most ecstatic supporter, come May, if we stay up.
  • Options
    It seems pretty clear to me. RD/KM/CP have rolled the dice and taken a huge gamble. The odds are probably against us but the new players may just be a total revelation - none of us know, but we are about to find out. I feel very confident that we will see at least one midfielder and one winger in on loan and that will edge the odds up in our favour a bit. The aim this year is simple - survival. The offer of £1.5m for Gradel was staggering and suggest that RD is prepared to fork out if he is persuaded that the deal offers value. That is great news - and suggests that, provided we stay up, we could see some major strengthening in the close season.
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    at the start of jan we all wanted two strikers with good scoring records! and hmm guest what we now have them now! a striker with talent can score goals anywhere! some of us are thinking we are going down because we have lost yann yes yann was brilliant but i have seen lifers on here this season saying none of this squad was good enough! hmm
  • Options
    It's not too little, but may be too late.
    I am going to strap in for the ride tho', and get behind the boys.
  • Options
    People have said we've sold the spine of the team, and before Jan people were saying the spine wasn't strong enough. Having it both ways, I'll wait and see what the new boys do before passing judgement
  • Options
    I'd say that staying up this season would probably be Chris Powell's biggest achievement at this club as Manager , even more so than when we ran away with League One , because then he had the Summer to prepare and bed players in.

Time is one thing we don't have a lot of , a iffy home pitch and a few new faces , the management team are going to have to work overtime to come up with a winning formula quickly, i really hope Chris & the boys can do it.
  • Options
    completely agree mendonca - already in a relegation battle, with all the players coming and goings, dog turd of a home pitch,contractual uncertainty - a lesser man wouldve packed it in already
  • Options
    Rothko said:

People have said we've sold the spine of the team, and before Jan people were saying the spine wasn't strong enough. Having it both ways, I'll wait and see what the new boys do before passing judgement

But we all agree that the team needed strengthening ? We've sold 2 of our 4 best outfield players, and given away our current 1st choice keeper.

The idea I would have thought was to improve our areas of weakness, not replace our areas of strength with risky gambles on players who have never really played much at this level,
    Nor have any experience of English football. No ?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    As long as Chris P has approved these latest signings I am quite optimistic. We , by the look have signed some quality young players, along with the players we have I think we will move up the table......BELIEVE......
  • Options
    If CP can keep us up this season with what will be a total team rebuild mid season his standing within the football world goes up further.

There are 20 games plenty of time.

Looking forward to see the new players(or some) against Brum.
  • Options

I keep being asked why I am not bothered or so relaxed by it all so here's why

I am convinced we will be ok and its solely that I don't think Yann will be missed as much as some say

I thought he done tremendous for us but I have never bought into the yann the phenom

I like goals from my strikers and a lot more goals than yann scores

Yann is a scorer of great goals not a great goal scorer

Dale we have always known he is going and we have replaced him with AA who just over a year ago went for 1.5 million euro

We replaced yann a freebie no one wanted with a 800k wonderkid that was wanted by benfica and west ham wanted he is a polish u21 now if we had signed an english U21 man utd reserve it would be all excited yet this kid has played more first team games at our level than most and has the desire and will to prove something

Then we have goochi a foward that imo really is a positive and exciting player who's only reason he is here is because standard are top of the league with an 8mil forward

Then you have the lad at the back who yes is a risk but anymore than one of our youth no and he has been an U21 french international

Diego has the chance now like Jordan they have played together for years powell is no fool he must belive in him

I await the powell didn't want them or choose them quotes

Maybe he didn't but I believe in powells ability to coach and manage and its not as if he has taken on players with no potential or talent is it

Exactly how I feel.

• Options
    In that case I change my mind we are doooooooooommmmeeed

8)
  • Options

I keep being asked why I am not bothered or so relaxed by it all so here's why

I am convinced we will be ok and its solely that I don't think Yann will be missed as much as some say

I thought he done tremendous for us but I have never bought into the yann the phenom

I like goals from my strikers and a lot more goals than yann scores

Yann is a scorer of great goals not a great goal scorer

Dale we have always known he is going and we have replaced him with AA who just over a year ago went for 1.5 million euro

We replaced yann a freebie no one wanted with a 800k wonderkid that was wanted by benfica and west ham wanted he is a polish u21 now if we had signed an english U21 man utd reserve it would be all excited yet this kid has played more first team games at our level than most and has the desire and will to prove something

Then we have goochi a foward that imo really is a positive and exciting player who's only reason he is here is because standard are top of the league with an 8mil forward

Then you have the lad at the back who yes is a risk but anymore than one of our youth no and he has been an U21 french international

Diego has the chance now like Jordan they have played together for years powell is no fool he must belive in him

I await the powell didn't want them or choose them quotes

Maybe he didn't but I believe in powells ability to coach and manage and its not as if he has taken on players with no potential or talent is it

Well said NLA, I think we're very much of the same mind on this. Everything we've heard about Reza points to him being critical to us getting out of this mess. Think CP will give him license to roam while playing Piotr as the target man.
  • Options
    Charlton were in trouble on and off the pitch. We are now financially stable and actively addressing a much needed squad revamp. So, Duchatelet is a bit different to the norm with a radical vision and meddling approach, however I for one am glad of the change.

As for whether the transfer activity has increased our chances of relegation, well on balance I would say yes, but hope to be surprised.

I don't think Duchatelet has forced through these changes on he's own personal gamble on avoiding relegation or some other more devious reason. He has he's plan for the future (which sees us in the premiership) and has started it now 'despite' the threat of relegation.

Our new owner is not a billionaire that is going to throw millions at the club, but equally not a pauper that is going to run the club on a wing and a prayer.

Its all a little scary as we don't know the character of the bloke or what kind of a team we will be if when we eventually reach the top table, but for the time being at least I am going to embrace change and enjoy the ride.
  • Options
    We go into this game into the unknown. However we have 2 new strikers who have a decent scoring record although in leagues we know nothing about. Give them a chance. We already had strikers who weren't scoring and players not performing. Maybe a change in personnel will do us good. Come on you reds
  • Options

Charlton were in trouble on and off the pitch. We are now financially stable and actively addressing a much needed squad revamp. So, Duchatelet is a bit different to the norm with a radical vision and meddling approach, however I for one am glad of the change.

As for whether the transfer activity has increased our chances of relegation, well on balance I would say yes, but hope to be surprised.

I don't think Duchatelet has forced through these changes on he's own personal gamble on avoiding relegation or some other more devious reason. He has he's plan for the future (which sees us in the premiership) and has started it now 'despite' the threat of relegation.

Our new owner is not a billionaire that is going to throw millions at the club, but equally not a pauper that is going to run the club on a wing and a prayer.

Its all a little scary as we don't know the character of the bloke or what kind of a team we will be if when we eventually reach the top table, but for the time being at least I am going to embrace change and enjoy the ride.

This, exactly this.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I go with souladdick: the previous owners were on the path to administration and 10 point deduction. For once let's be optimistic. Any disappointment (if any) is for the future.
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    We have no creative force in midfield, no width, no pace, Jacko seems to have had his day.

We have sold what we had and not replaced it. If it was known that Stephens was leaving why not bring in a decent replacement on a perm?

Seems an enormous gamble bringing in this many new players this quickly with zero experience of this league. And seems to show a lack of understanding of how a team works and what quality level the Championship is.

Just my view and I hope I'm wrong but I fail to see how this team can really compete on paper. Hope I'm wrong in practise.

• Options
    Razil what happened at the fans meeting other night?
  • Options
    uie2 said:

at the start of jan we all wanted two Championship quality strikers with good scoring records! and hmm guest what we now have them now! a striker with talent can score goals anywhere! some of us are thinking we are going down because we have lost yann yes yann was brilliant but i have seen lifers on here this season saying none of this squad was good enough! hmm

Time will tell, Reza looks promising, but we don't need a team full of learners and kids. We need experienced heads who know how to get results at this level.
  • Options
    I would imagine we will see a new creative central mid come in on loan from the Prem.
  • Options
    Normally quite an optimist with all things Charlton but I still can't believe we sold 3 of our best players in the past week. I'm almost certain we'll go down, we'll be playing Saturday Tuesday the rest of the season and our squad is weak enough as it is, we won't cope with fatigue, injuries, suspensions.
  • Options
    On the strikers I agree with NLA on his point about a Prem reserve striker.

Some say Powell would have never chosen Reza for example, but I don't see why he'd have said no when he was offered to him.

One alternative is gambling on a lower league player - BWP, Clarke, Mooney and Lisbie all score regularly in League 1, Championship is just as big a step up for them as any foreign player. I expect they've looked at players they believe will settle over here, for example the two strikers we've signed both speak English.

Realistically we're not going to attract a Championship striker that is scoring regularly this season. We could go for another Sordell, someone not playing, but they're not playing for a reason.

Young Premier League loan? We've had a few and they're not always better than what you have, Ecclestone, Parrett, Waghorn for example. There are others that have done well at other clubs but that can also be said for foreign signings.

Considering one wasn't from RDs network I think/hope these players have been well researched. He's known for not throwing money around, I don't think he'd gamble £600k or whatever it was on a striker in the same way we gambled money on McLeod, Christensen etc.

After reading some positive reports from those at the game I'm a bit more hopeful our new strikers can be an improvement and between Ajdarevic and Poyet we might just replace Stephens. Koc may not be ready but l wouldn't surprised to see a more experienced winger come in on loan soon, we know we wanted Gradel.

The worry I have is how long will Wiggins be out for. Having to play Evina or Lennon instead means we'll really miss his attacking play.
  • Options
    Tuesday, 5 January 2016
    Too little, too late.
    True to form, reinforcements are arriving as we bid to avoid relegation for the third year in succession. The good news, is that Roger Johnson and Diego Poyet know the club and will be familiar with some of the existing squad. Rhys Williams doesn't, but he has bags of experience and should bring some focus and perhaps some much-needed leadership.

There is news of a possible move for Yann Kermogant but I can't see it. There's too much water under the bridge on Yann and it would be seen as an acknowledgement that selling him on arrival was a large error of judgement by The Shareholder. We know now that the Belgians are deluded and lack humility.

There may be one or two more in similar vein and my guess is one at least will be sold to pay for the incoming wages. All-in-all, nowhere near enough and we won't even nudge the odds up from our current 1-4 on relegation let alone climb away from the zone. If we are to avoid relegation, we will need a return to action, fitness and form of most of those lingering in the Sick Bay.

The other glaringly obvious thing is that we appear short of the personnel to actually identify, negotiate and recruit anyone worth their salt. La Meire looks like she's doing most of it, which perhaps explains why we are back with Relegation Roger, Unwanted Poyet and Old Williams. I would be inclined to say none of them have a future at this club for various reasons, although Roger has managed to nick himself an 18 month contract so it looks like Katrien is banking on his experience in the heart of defence to lead us through our first season back in League One. Badly-dressed man (he has been living in India) must have loved the negotiation with Katrien having been dumped by the club in the Summer. Good luck to him.

I will refer to this post at numerous points between now and May, particularly when La Meire attempts to lay the blame at someone else's door, as she is bound to do.

Posted by Dave at 16:53

Taken from Dr Kish
  • Options
    Also on Dr Kish that Kermo discussions are on going