Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Sunshine in May

Dear lifers

I'm after some holiday advice..

I am thinking of taking the family away for 7 nights in May. We are not usually ones for Charter holidays but in this case we just want a hassle free time with some decent weather thrown in to the mix. Our criteria is as follows: -

Reasonably warm (18c plus)
Within 5 flying time hours of Denmark (1 hour ahead of UK)
Family friendly
Decent beach
A bit of culture
Scenic walks

We were thinking maybe Majorca, Algarve, Malta or Tenerife but to be honest with you I don't really know much about any of these places.

We don't really fancy Cyprus, Turkey or Egypt.

Btw our kids are aged 5 and 3.

Thanks in advance!

Fk

Comments

• Options
    Lanzarote - south of the island (Costa Blanca). Try Optima Villas.
  • Options
    The Greek Islands?
  • Options
    Morocco. Fly to Marrakech, then drive, taxi or coach to Essaouira. Check it out on the web.
  • Options
    Or Tarifa in southern Spain?
  • Options
    C_A_F_C said:

The Greek Islands?

Yeah we thought of that too. Any in particular you would suggest?
  • Options

Morocco. Fly to Marrakech, then drive, taxi or coach to Essaouira. Check it out on the web.

Not sure my wife fancies Morocco. She is a typical feminist Dane and doesn't like the way they look at western women
  • Options

Sounds good but might be a bit tricky getting there from Copenhagen
  • Options

Not sure my wife fancies Morocco. She is a typical feminist Dane and doesn't like the way they look at western women
    Is she blonde? If so, definitely fair point.
  • Options

Is she blonde? If so, definitely fair point.
    Brunette
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited February 2014
    Northern Costa Brava is beautiful at that time of year. Look at Calella de Palafrugell, Tamariu or Llafranc. I know this area well and could advise further if needed.

Worth also looking at Dubai - though probably doesn't hit the scenic walks criteria (unless you have a pet camel). Interesting place and great beaches if you chose the right hotel.

Italian riveria nice and often overlooked - Portofino is gorgeous but Santa Margherita probably better for family
  • Options

C_A_F_C said:

The Greek Islands?

Kos fly straight to the island .. good start/stop point for a bit of island hopping .. many of the 'boatmen' spend summer in Greece and winter in Australia and speak da gooda English .. ask around and you'll get some good days out .. if that is what you like
  • Options
    Thanks for the advice everyone. Keep it coming!
  • Options
    What's wrong with Cornwall ?

Oh, yeah ...... the weather.

• Options
    edited February 2014
    Mays a risky month in Europe. You can hit it off or come unstuck. Canary Islands reduces that risk significantly. Lanzarote would be my choice.
  • Options

C_A_F_C said:

The Greek Islands?

Santorini and Skiathos both very nice, and tick all of your boxes. Santorini has a bit more to offer in terms of sightseeing. It's a volcanic island and the beaches have black sand, fine for lying on with a towel but you need something on your feet to walk on it as it gets pretty hot.
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    Majorca would be good. I really like the north eastern parts of the island which offer a completely different holiday experience to magaluf/bannerman.

avg temp for may is 18-20 degrees.

Both times i have been the packages were very reasonable although take a star off each of the hotel ratings as a good rule of thumb.

I can recommend canyamel and cala bona as nice seaside plaves to stay. Was impresssed by the general standard of restaurants but worth doing some research to avoid the odd crappy one or two that do exist
  • Options
    I've heard that this place called Floyd Road in London around May time is pretty good - lots of celebrations and fireworks to be seen - some local sporting fiesta i'm told !
  • Options

I've heard that this place called Floyd Road in London around May time is pretty good - lots of celebrations and fireworks to be seen - some local sporting fiesta i'm told !

Are they doing that celebrity 5-aside tournament again then?
  • Options

Sounds good but might be a bit tricky getting there from Copenhagen
    Certainly wouldnt recommend Tarifa. Its primarily a surfing / windsurfing resort, and as such is very windy and beaches arent exceptional. Its quite lively as a result but more with youngsters than families.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Blackpool.
  • Options
    Davo55 said:

Northern Costa Brava is beautiful at that time of year. Look at Calella de Palafrugell, Tamariu or Llafranc. I know this area well and could advise further if needed.

Worth also looking at Dubai - though probably doesn't hit the scenic walks criteria (unless you have a pet camel). Interesting place and great beaches if you chose the right hotel.

Italian riveria nice and often overlooked - Portofino is gorgeous but Santa Margherita probably better for family</blockquote

Davo, absolutely agree. Tamariu,LLafranc and Sa Riera absolutely stunning. Most people miss out the Coast North of Barcelona, but it is absolutely beautiful - also Empurias for BC Greek ruins is amazing - then again, maybe not for the kiddies.Also Salvador Dali birthplace and museum in Figueras.Fly to Gerona if you can.
    Tamariu Hotel is wonderful, right on the beach,family run.Kids would love it.

• Options
    be careful not to book up on the day we are playing in the Cup Final.
  • Options
    MrLargo said:

C_A_F_C said:

The Greek Islands?

Santorini and Skiathos both very nice, and tick all of your boxes. Santorini has a bit more to offer in terms of sightseeing. It's a volcanic island and the beaches have black sand, fine for lying on with a towel but you need something on your feet to walk on it as it gets pretty hot.
    Went to Santorini last year lovely place also Kefalonia although haven't been for sometime.

• Options

Davo55 said:

Italian riveria nice and often overlooked - Portofino is gorgeous but Santa Margherita probably better for family

You and me on the same page my friend. Empurias has some great beaches just outside the gates so also nice for kiddies. Also good to get to Cadaques up near the French border, Banyoles up in the mountains, Figueras for the Dali museum. Loads in the region, and quite beautiful in May with all the wild poppies and other flowers in the fields. Used to have a place in Calella de Palafrugell and still like to go back from time to time.
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    Crete is nice. Aghios Nikolaos has drawn me in twice, Elounda is also worth considering. Both though are a couple of hours transfer unless you get a cab. Gouves is handier to the airport. Not sure what the weather in May is like but I'd wager it's better than here.
  • Options
    Fuerteventua ticks your boxes. It's pretty much guaranteed to be sunny, shouldn't be too hot, and is a lot quieter and nicer than Lanzagrotty or Gran Canaria. Try looking at Corralejo in the North of the island. My mum lives there - it's lovely.
  • Options
    Elounda or Agious Nikolaous (sp?) in Crete or Perissa in Santorini are both great. Went Santorini in May, start of season, it was quiet but open enough to have a great time. Weather nice too. Sand black and boiling. Sunsets beautiful. Boat trips good for families, you can jump off the tour boats (or use slides) into the sea around the island. Hot springs or visit Oia or the market towns.
  • Options
    Davo55 said:

Davo55 said:

You and me on the same page my friend. Empurias has some great beaches just outside the gates so also nice for kiddies. Also good to get to Cadaques up near the French border, Banyoles up in the mountains, Figueras for the Dali museum. Loads in the region, and quite beautiful in May with all the wild poppies and other flowers in the fields. Used to have a place in Calella de Palafrugell and still like to go back from time to time.
    Ah , memories ! - of Medieval villages like Peretellada and Pals - absolutely beautiful.
    Used to frequent the area very often, as (ex) relatives lived in L'Escala.
  • Options
    We went to Peloponnese in Greece. Was lovely. Very peaceful and beautiful. Lovely beach at Voidolika.