Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Ridiculous supermarket offers.

Just to lighten the mood. I went to morrisons today and saw that they have reduced a lot of their fruit and veg from £1 to 99p, they are calling it the 99p sale! I found it highly hilarious I took a picture.

Anyone else experienced supermarket offers/ promotions that are not worth the hype?

Comments

• Options
    Tesco often have gems such as 95p each or 2 for £2.

I spotted a DVD in a duty-free HMV at Gatwick a few years ago with a sale sticker for £18, but underneath the RRP sticker it was covering quite clearly said £15. What a bargain.
  • Options
    Recently in Sainsburys they were offering Muller yogurts 4 pack at £2.25 each - or two packs for £2.00. Filled up my trolley with that one!
  • Options

Just to lighten the mood. I went to morrisons today and saw that they have reduced a lot of their fruit and veg from £1 to 99p, they are calling it the 99p sale! I found it highly hilarious I took a picture.

Anyone else experienced supermarket offers/ promotions that are not worth the hype?

Save the pennies and the pounds will look after themselves.
  • Options
    I saw an offer in Thailand which was "buy one get one"
  • Options
    We got a little tesco express across the road from us so we are always in there getting bits and they usually have quite a few items where the pricing must be wrong, got some biscuits for the kids lunchboxes the other day, blue riband i think they were, £1.25 a pack or 2 packs for a £1 Bargain!
  • Options

I hope the sticker cost them more than a penny!!
  • Options

Recently in Sainsburys they were offering Muller yogurts 4 pack at £2.25 each - or two packs for £2.00. Filled up my trolley with that one!

Filled your trolley up with what, the £2.25 one?
  • Options
    In my local Asia I remember they was doing an offer on coca cola packs unfortunately it was buy 2 for the price of 3 ...
  • Options
    The Sainsbury local near where I used to live in Hull would regularly double the price of stuff then make it buy one get one free.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Who remembers this one?

Physicist Phil Calcott always wanted to make a grand gesture. So the chance to give away nearly half a ton of free bananas proved utterly irresistible.
    The idea came to the 28-year-old scientist when he saw a special offer at his local Tesco supermarket. "They had this offer on where you could buy three pounds of bananas for pounds 1.17 and get 25 points on your Tesco Club card, which you could redeem for goods worth pounds 1.25," said Mr Calcott.

"I did a mental calculation and it seemed you couldn't lose. Basically they were paying shoppers eight pence to take away three pounds of bananas."

Mr Calcott was so convinced the two-week offer was ripe for the taking that he spent pounds 367.38 buying up 942lbs of Tesco bananas. Supermarket staff twice had to stack up a trolley seven feet high with bananas and wheel it outside to Mr Calcott's Peugeot 205.

"I took a car load at a time because even with the back seat down and the boot full I could only fit in 460lbs of bananas," said Mr Calcott.

He continued: "Tesco were very helpful. They put the bananas on a trolley and loaded them up for me. But when I popped back for some more they said they were not doing any more bulk orders and would only sell me one case, which is quite understandable because they seemed to be making a loss on it.

"At one stage my living room was stacked from floor to ceiling with 25 cases containing around 3,000 bananas." Mr Calcott then set about giving away the fruits of his labour

"Some people were dreadfully suspicious because they couldn't conceive of anybody giving something away," said Mr Calcott who works at a government defence establishment.

"Yesterday I took 70 pounds of bananas to give to friends at work and they have made me a badge which says 'The Banana King'. The only abusive reaction I had was after giving a bunch of bananas to a woman at her home. As I walked down the garden path her husband shouted 'It's money we want - not bananas'.

"Children in the street now shout 'Bananaman' whenever they see me," he added.

"All I have left are two bunches of bananas for my own consumption - and that's it. Giving away things for free has always appealed to me - just to see how people would react. It's been great fun and I'd do it again. I'm waiting for a special offer on pine-apples because I am rather partial to them."

Mr Calcott now has almost 8,000 Tesco Club card points and his banana spending spree has netted him a pounds 25.12 profit - although it must be spent on goods at the store.

Tesco said its promotion - which ends this weekend - was not due to a banana glut but was simply the latest special offer to card holders. A spokeswoman said she had not heard of any shoppers loading up with cheap bananas. "It's not what we had in mind. But if people choose to do it then it's up to them."
  • Options
    Cheap at half the price?

• Options
    In Portugal they tend to reduce the price of seasonal stuff like easter eggs or Christmas chocolates by about 25c two months after the event. Even Diaries for 2014 are still full price at the moment.
  • Options
    Talking of supermarkets this news came out today http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/newsbysector/retailandconsumer/10616036/Ocado-losses-widen-despite-Morrisons-tie-up.html

So they have never made a profit and lost £12m last year. They expect on-line grocery to go massive over the next few years but wouldn't you think it has probably peaked? Are they clutching at straws? Surely they need Tesco's, Asda's and Sainsburys deliveries and not just Waitrose and Morrison's to make money?
  • Options
    Just been to my local tescos.. 1litre bottle of pepsi 1.98p specail offer 10 cans of pepsi 1.99 how much in 10 cans?? Which is better?? Its a nightmare being single and on a budget.
  • Options
    CafcCrazy said:

In my local Asia I remember they was doing an offer on coca cola packs unfortunately it was buy 2 for the price of 3 ...

Blimey...you go all that way and still pay over the odds!! ;-)
  • Options

Just been to my local tescos.. 1litre bottle of pepsi 1.98p specail offer 10 cans of pepsi 1.99 how much in 10 cans?? Which is better?? Its a nightmare being single and on a budget.

Cans are usually 330ml so 10 cans is 3.33 litres, so the can offer is better value.

• Options
    Cheers bud cans it is.
  • Options

Cheers bud cans it is.

I thought you said they were pepsi cans?
  • Options
    Nah just gona get 4 specail brew now drink em tonight pass out wake up thursday when back at work..
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    What tesco is it Adam?
  • Options
    This article is interesting on a different kind of supermarket "offer":
    thegrocer.co.uk/companies/supermarkets/tesco/tesco-delists-70-princes-products-in-mystery-dispute/350435.article

So, broadly, a producer pays Tesco huge amounts to keep their products in prime positions on the shelves and Princes, maybe, have told Tesco to do one!
    This means I can no longer buy Branston Baked Beans in Tesco. (IMHO Branston Beans are by far the best baked beans.)
    So, from Tesco's point of view, they are driving a hard bargain but from the customer's point of view, they don't give a toss. So, I'm now shopping at Sainsbury's.
  • Options

What tesco is it Adam?

Sittingbourne forum.. Makes poundland in deptford look like harrods..

• Options

We got a little tesco express across the road from us so we are always in there getting bits and they usually have quite a few items where the pricing must be wrong, got some biscuits for the kids lunchboxes the other day, blue riband i think they were, £1.25 a pack or 2 packs for a £1 Bargain!

You can't trust supermarket offers. These biscuits may have originally been 50p or 60p a pack, then they put the price up to £1.25 and slap on a two for £1 offer, and people buy them by the bucket load because they think they're getting a bargain. They typically do this with wine, having pretend half-price offers at £4.99 down from £9.99 where the wine used to be, say, £6.99 beforehand.
  • Options
    iaitch said:

Cans are usually 330ml so 10 cans is 3.33 litres, so the can offer is better value.

What's more, you don't end up with a half-full bottle of flat cola if you get the cans.
  • Options

What tesco is it Adam?

Cheers I'll pop in before school kicks out
  • Options
    dizzee said:

Filled your trolley up with what, the £2.25 one?
    Doh! Got that one wrong!
  • Options

What tesco is it Adam?

Cheers I'll pop in before school kicks out
    Just went in for my pre school run can of monster rehab (1 quid at the mo) sold out of 10s now doing 8 for 1.97.. So stil a bargin.
  • Options

Posting this was quicker than adding it up?
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    Yeah im a tool..