Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Ridiculous supermarket offers.

2»

Comments

• Options

What tesco is it Adam?

Sittingbourne forum.. Makes poundland in deptford look like harrods..

Cheers I'll pop in before school kicks out
    Just went in for my pre school run can of monster rehab (1 quid at the mo) sold out of 10s now doing 8 for 1.97.. So stil a bargin.
    Went in there about half hour ago and bought 8 Pepsi max, 1.99 but I walked round for ages looking for the 10 lol sittingbourne must think I'm crazy don't know why easy street has been cordoned off by police though went past and it's sirens galore
  • Options
    Drugs raid sadie old bill stoped 2 cars was in my bus at the time they blocked both ends very dramatic.
  • Options

Drugs raid sadie old bill stoped 2 cars was in my bus at the time they blocked both ends very dramatic.

Oooo all happens in the bourne! I forgot you were a bus driver my son gets chalkwell bus pick him up and drop him home everyday.

Anyway back to offers morrisons are also doing scampi bite by one get 2 free, sounds great but they are over £4 for one pack, pre-promotion they were £1.99 so closer to buy 2 get one free really.
  • Options
    Morrisons energy drinks 50p each or 4 for a nugget! Billy bargain...
  • Options
    Not a supermarket, but I got three items usually costing £10.50 each from Avon in a special offer of 'three items for £10', so three for less than the price of one! I even checked with the Avon Lady first as I thought that the offer couldn't be correct.
  • Options
    I was only pondering this the other day in Tesco...Oats so simple 10 sachets, 2 boxes for £4 or the family box of 15 sachets for £3.

Hmm 20 sachets / £4 = £0.50 per sachet, 15 sachets / £3 = £0.50 per sachet. So it doesnt matter what you bloody buy.

Of course, everyone instantly grabs the smaller boxes because its on "offer" but its the same price as the non-offered one.
  • Options
    cafcfan said:

This article is interesting on a different kind of supermarket "offer":
    thegrocer.co.uk/companies/supermarkets/tesco/tesco-delists-70-princes-products-in-mystery-dispute/350435.article

So, broadly, a producer pays Tesco huge amounts to keep their products in prime positions on the shelves and Princes, maybe, have told Tesco to do one!
    This means I can no longer buy Branston Baked Beans in Tesco. (IMHO Branston Beans are by far the best baked beans.)
    So, from Tesco's point of view, they are driving a hard bargain but from the customer's point of view, they don't give a toss. So, I'm now shopping at Sainsbury's.

I did wonder where the Branston Beans had disappeared to !!!, agree the best by far
  • Options
    Good grief
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Haha, my mental arithmetic is just stunning sometimes. Please don't tell CIMA lol
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    I purchased a pack of ASDA special chipolatas earlier this week .. they're nice to grill, chop up and then mix with pasta and fresh vegetables.

The point is .. I bought a pack of a dozen .. in fact I got a baker's dozen .. YES .. my pack of a dozen mini sausages contained 13 .. as ASDA's sworn enemies would have it .. 'every little helps'

EDIT: this was a case of mis-packing, there was no 'special offer' of an extra chipolata
  • Options
    In fairness, supermarkets often come up with some brilliant special offers. I mean, who could resist this offer on a 32" HD ready TV..?

• Options
    You don't pay for goods in the cray. Everything's free according to most shoppers.
  • Options
    Apparently big supermarkets experience 10% shrinkage because of people not scanning stuff correctly or just outright stealing using the self-service checkouts, but they don't really care because the loss is less than hiring the staff to monitor the theft or to man checkouts.
  • Options
    Fiiish said:

Apparently big supermarkets experience 10% shrinkage because of people not scanning stuff correctly or just outright stealing using the self-service checkouts, but they don't really care because the loss is less than hiring the staff to monitor the theft or to man checkouts.

Yep. So much for being told the introduction of self-service checkouts was to give shoppers a choice, flexibility and to enable supermarkets to redeploy staff to more effective duties. What's truly sickening is that they've been allowed to get away with it with not even a whimper of protest.
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    I agree that it's sad when technology takes jobs but unfortunately that's the way it goes. I don't see anyone moaning about all the people employed by blockbusters made unemployed by the internet, or iTunes and Kindle putting HMV and Waterstones employees out of work. It's inevitable that if you do a job that could be done by a machine, someone is going to invent a machine to do it. Everytime I go to the supermarket, people will prefer to queue for self-service than queue at a manned till.

It's worth noting that the cost of an extra worker in the UK for a big company like Tesco is much higher than their pay & benefits. There's insurance, national insurance, liability, health & safety, uniform costs etc that have to be taken into account.

Tesco claim that no one has lost a job because of a self service till. I don't really believe that. But what annoys me is when someone with a full trolley of shopping who should go to a manned checkout spends 20 minutes at a self service till. Get a life.
  • Options

You don't pay for goods in the cray. Everything's free according to most shoppers.

is that for 'shoppers' or 'shoplifters' ?

• Options
    Fiiish said:

I agree that it's sad when technology takes jobs but unfortunately that's the way it goes. I don't see anyone moaning about all the people employed by blockbusters made unemployed by the internet, or iTunes and Kindle putting HMV and Waterstones employees out of work. It's inevitable that if you do a job that could be done by a machine, someone is going to invent a machine to do it. Everytime I go to the supermarket, people will prefer to queue for self-service than queue at a manned till.

It's worth noting that the cost of an extra worker in the UK for a big company like Tesco is much higher than their pay & benefits. There's insurance, national insurance, liability, health & safety, uniform costs etc that have to be taken into account.

Tesco claim that no one has lost a job because of a self service till. I don't really believe that. But what annoys me is when someone with a full trolley of shopping who should go to a manned checkout spends 20 minutes at a self service till. Get a life.

You don't?

You haven't been around here long enough then - we had a spirited discussion about it last year :)

Supermarkets completely fuck us over as consumers and taxpayers - anyone doubting this would do well to read Captive State (Monbiot) or Shopped (Blythman) for some good background material.
  • Options
    Fiiish said:

This is an extract of a comment I made on a discussion about automation on the Bob Crow thread.

"In 2007, Tesco employed 260,000 people in the UK and 380,000 worldwide. Those figures are now 310,00 in the UK and 530,000 worldwide. So it doesn't seem as if Tesco has been cutting staff numbers much does it? In fact they've put on 20% more jobs during a period of recession."

Frankly, I'm no great fan of Tesco but it's clear they have been hiring rather than firing staff. However I agree with you about self-service tills - they only work if you've got a few items not a trolley load. But self-scanning as you go round the isles is an entirely different ball game and gets you out of the store much more quickly and home with ice cream that's still frozen.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Those jobs come at a price. The vast majority of them are low paid, no skill, part time employment that keep people living hand to mouth, week to week.

In addition, the jobs are 'created' by destroying local businesses, decimating town centres, decreasing local quality of life & the environment, increasing traffic, holding local councils to ransom, rinsing suppliers and colluding with each other to give the illusion of competition where none in fact exists.

Even on figures alone, the net positive of jobs created alone is offset by the full time jobs destroyed when a supermarket opens up near a town centre. Now that we've almost reached saturation point for the larger stores, they've gone in and bought up lots of the smaller stores they've pur out of business and put their own 'metro' or 'local' stores in place - selling goods at a much higher price than their larger counterparts.

It would be a true comedian indeed who could argue, with a straight face, that supermarkets benefit the public.
  • Options

Those jobs come at a price. The vast majority of them are low paid, no skill, part time employment that keep people living hand to mouth, week to week.

In addition, the jobs are 'created' by destroying local businesses, decimating town centres, decreasing local quality of life & the environment, increasing traffic, holding local councils to ransom, rinsing suppliers and colluding with each other to give the illusion of competition where none in fact exists.

Even on figures alone, the net positive of jobs created alone is offset by the full time jobs destroyed when a supermarket opens up near a town centre. Now that we've almost reached saturation point for the larger stores, they've gone in and bought up lots of the smaller stores they've pur out of business and put their own 'metro' or 'local' stores in place - selling goods at a much higher price than their larger counterparts.

It would be a true comedian indeed who could argue, with a straight face, that supermarkets benefit the public.

Good to see that you are abandoning the rocks and coming over to the dark side of geography.
  • Options
    Man cannot live by rocks alone...
  • Options

That's pony Leroy. First, the supermarkets did not destroy local businesses. That was a combination of business rates and excessive rent but mostly the consumers deciding what they wanted and at what price and what was most convenient to them. The fact that many supermarkets have now gone large on the "local store" format - Morrison's have just opened a M Local store in an ex-Burger King in my local High Street - demonstrates that there is a demand for such stores. But the difference is they stock (fresh) stuff people want. Not disgusting crap that looks like it would kill you if you ate it! That was the reality of the old small grocer. You can't on the one hand claim that competition from supermarkets put small stores out of business but on the other say that people are happy to pay more for the convenience of using a Tesco Metro! That makes no sense.

Second, sure many of the supermarket jobs are part-time - but that's precisely the type of job many of the jobholders want. Sometimes they are happy to work slightly weird hours to fit in with their demands from home. I've a neighbour who is more than happy working part-time at Tesco - it fits his needs precisely. The home delivery drivers, shelf pickers and the like are all new posts created by consumers changing shopping habits.
    So, tell me, as a consumer, is there one shop that has gone bust that you (a) used regularly, (b) enjoyed using, (c) valued or (d) miss? Probably the prime example was Woolworth: stocked with crap that no one wanted. I remember they used to spend a lot of money getting in stocks of garden plants but didn't bother telling the staff that they'd need watering - result store cluttered with dead plants making the place look appalling. Who wants to shop in an environment like that? Answer, no one, which is why they went bust.
  • Options

Fiiish said:

You don't?

You haven't been around here long enough then - we had a spirited discussion about it last year :)

Supermarkets completely fuck us over as consumers and taxpayers - anyone doubting this would do well to read Captive State (Monbiot) or Shopped (Blythman) for some good background material.
    Oh I agree. In terms of what they do for the average taxpayer and shopper there's plenty of damage behind the scenes that can't be reversed once we've crossed the rubicon and shut down every shop that isn't one of the big 4 supermarkets or one of it's high-street equivalent. They also hurt their suppliers due to monopsony power. I don't doubt it but if Monbile's books are as bad and inaccurate as his Grauniad columns I'll pass up lining his pockets thank you.
    cafcfan said:

Fiiish said:

This is an extract of a comment I made on a discussion about automation on the Bob Crow thread.

"In 2007, Tesco employed 260,000 people in the UK and 380,000 worldwide. Those figures are now 310,00 in the UK and 530,000 worldwide. So it doesn't seem as if Tesco has been cutting staff numbers much does it? In fact they've put on 20% more jobs during a period of recession."

Frankly, I'm no great fan of Tesco but it's clear they have been hiring rather than firing staff. However I agree with you about self-service tills - they only work if you've got a few items not a trolley load. But self-scanning as you go round the isles is an entirely different ball game and gets you out of the store much more quickly and home with ice cream that's still frozen.
    I imagine the fact they're hiring more people is due to them opening more stores and delivery hubs, and that the figure would be higher if it weren't for self-service checkouts. I will admit this is merely conjecture but it's a rational point.
  • Options
    sadiejane1981, it took about 17 days to go from your opening sentence "just to lighten the mood", to this.
  • Options
    Wife just got email from Amazon, something she wanted is on offer and has been reduced from 12.99 to 12.97.....
  • Options
    im shit at this cheap bargain stuff i once went to DFS and they didnt have a sale on !