Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

NEW ARTICLE: Kermorgant sets record straight on his move and on-going uncertainty at Charlton

Comments

• Options
    If the club really wanted him to stay could they have not just played him two more times?
  • Options
    MrOneLung said:

If the club really wanted him to stay could they have not just played him two more times?

sorry but isn't this part of the issue? why he 'alledgly' refused to play at 'uddersfield'?

• Options
    he shouldve just either come out with the full story including his discussions over the extension and what he said about not being available for selection so it couldnt automatically roll over or kept stchum altogether

to say or even indicate that there is speculation in the camp that powell has no say over the players coming in, is not exactly helpful is it when right now we need to focus solely on playing matters

Its goodbye yann thanks very much now see ya , hopefullyone day both sides will say how it is and we can make our own opinions

until that time i trust what i was told and who told me based on that not being just 1 person and it being verified by atleast 2 others who would know

once reza and pistol pete start knocking them in it will be yann who
  • Options
    Whether the full article will be released online next week or not, i don't know. But the snippets that i have quoted were only a small part of it.
  • Options
    Doesn't seem he has set the record straight at all.....just added confusion !

• Options
    Well worth seeking out the full version as AFKA says. This quote is key for me: "That is what I wanted the most, to be safe and secure for at least two more years at Charlton."

That's the bottom line. We don't know the exact details of money or length, but the bloke quite clearly wanted to stay at Charlton. Furthermore he's clearly taken the effort and time to clarify the situation for fans - how many departing players do that?!

For all the talk of him talking about Charlton not doing enough for him, that's just one quote. The vast majority of the article is actually less about him and more about his concern for the club as a whole.

As for suggestions he refused to play. I'm not really fussed either way, but it's a bit ridiculous to think he'd comment on rumours on a forum that he's probably not even aware of!
  • Options

Well worth seeking out the full version as AFKA says. This quote is key for me: "That is what I wanted the most, to be safe and secure for at least two more years at Charlton."

That's the bottom line. We don't know the exact details of money or length, but the bloke quite clearly wanted to stay at Charlton. Furthermore he's clearly taken the effort and time to clarify the situation for fans - how many departing players do that?!

For all the talk of him talking about Charlton not doing enough for him, that's just one quote. The vast majority of the article is actually less about him and more about his concern for the club as a whole.

As for suggestions he refused to play. I'm not really fussed either way, but it's a bit ridiculous to think he'd comment on rumours on a forum that he's probably not even aware of!

'They could have said they would give me a little bit more – maybe I would have accepted' wanted more money ?
  • Options

I can't find an article in the SLP.

However, you can interprete what Kermorgant said in a number of ways & you have to read it carefully.

My interpretation (bearing in mind what the club said), was that he was offered a 2 year deal & he declined it.

He was looking for a better offer, which didn't come.

He mentioned there was no form of negotiation, which I take to mean, he was given a take it or leave it offer- but no form of negotiation.

He said "they did nothing special to keep me".

He went for talks with Bournemouth after Charlton had accepted an offer, believed to be £400K by the local Bournemouth paper.

On the Thursday evening he was still trying to negotiate a stay with the club.

Despite Katrien Meire telling him earlier, the club still want to keep him, (well they did, they offered him a 2 year deal, which he declined).

According to Yann she came back later that evening and said after speaking with the owner that he wanted to sell him.

To me there isn't a right or wrong. It is what it is.

Kermy wanted to stay on a better deal.

Charlton wanted him to stay, but we don't know on what terms. My guess is the terms would possibly have been the same.

Kermy didn't agree, so he was sold.

We may be a little wiser tomorrow, as to whether Charlton made the right decision.

He was promised that as soon as the club was taken over he would be the first priority to sign on a two-year improved deal. “That is what I want the most, to be safe and secure for at least two more years at Charlton”“

"When the club was taken over nothing happened. I was waiting for the gaffer to get an extension. When that didn’t happen I started to feel a bit worried where the club was going. We didn’t even know if it was the gaffer’s decision to bring in players or just the owner’s choice. That started to worry me a little bit more”.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    The sentence before that: "They never came back to me or my agent - even with something very, very low."
  • Options
    I am a YFM - Yann Fan Man - and always will be. One of the most charismatic and passionate players I have seen in the red shirt. Good to read his thoughts, but it kind of glosses over:

1. why he wanted "a bit more" when at 32 and with the known financial pressures at the club, remaining on current pay might have been more reasonable.

2. Why he (if true) refused to play the games that would have triggered an automatic contract extension.

These art just his highly selective views, in my opinion. We would need a similar statement from CP, KM or RD to be able to weigh all this fairly. And that's simply not going to happen.

So I'll keep my fond memories of Yann and wish him well at Bournemouth, maybe even hope that he is back with us someday in some capacity, and write off his departure as a slightly bad closing chapter in an otherwise brilliant Charlton story.

Really looking forward to seeing Piotr and Reza rip Brum a new one tomorrow.
  • Options
    It's easy to take one quote out of context and paint him as some mercenary. But a mercenary wouldn't fight to stay and a mercenary wouldn't express regret at leaving the club. Unless he's some kind of maniacal sociopath. I'm pretty sure Yann's ok there.
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    That's a bit harsh on AFKA Bartram - he's only trying to do his bit and brimng some light onto the situation.
    Personally I think it best we get 100% behind the team and then have a long hard look at things over the summer.
    PL54 said:

Doesn't seem he has set the record straight at all.....just added confusion !

• Options
    i dont think he has acted in a mercenary way, i think his contract negs are perfectly acceptable,
    theres other bits i wish he had done differently
  • Options
    I think Yann didn't want to go and I believe it did all happen at the 11th hour and happened very quickly. I think he's attempting to put things right in his eyes because he knows the supporters will be all over that article and it's his way of trying to put things straight. I believe he had a genuine affection for the club, Chris Powell and the supporters and that shows in what he is saying. I'll always have a lot of time for Yann. In my eyes it was a mistake to let him go just now as, with all the new people coming on board he would have provided stability. However, at 32 years of age and starting to understand how RD approaches things I can understand it as well.

I believe we're moving on now. What is done is done. Good luck Yann for the future but, more importantly, COYRs!!!!!!!!!
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    Enjoyed reading Yann's side of the story. Not into spending time dissecting the possible differences between his and others views now he has gone. It is clear he loved his time at Charlton and fully reciprocated the fans affection for him. I hope the new strikers show they are good replacements for our old talisman but they will only be able to do that when .............. WE GET THE "_" BALL TO THEM!!!
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    If Yann was so desperate to sign again. Why does he say :-

"They could have said they would give me a little bit more – MAYBE I would have accepted”.

Like I say. It is what it is. I can see both sides point of view.

However, I still believe he was offered a 2 year deal, which he declined, because he wanted a better offer.

That's fine with me. It was his choice & is perfectly reasonable.

Personally, I think he wanted to sign a 2 year IMPROVED deal, which he says was, offered by the PREVIOUS owners.

But so what. That was the PREVIOUS owners.

IMO he did go for more money & good luck to him.

His preference was to stay for MORE MONEY, but he couldn't get what he wanted.
  • Options

MrLargo said:

uncertainty over my manager's position wouldn't affect me so why should it a footballer?

How would it not effect you? If your manager leaves he could be replaced by someone who doesn't rate you, or expects you to do twice as much work for the same money, or wants you to spend more time doing stuff that doesn't sit you don't consider yourself to be skilled at. Your job could change overnight from something you like doing to something you dread.
    yes, but why worry about it as it may never happen. As it happens it did happen to me. 25 yrs at a German bank under one really great manager. He left. In a first meeting with his replacement I was told I'd been there too long so must lack ambition. I told him I like it there, did a bloody good job and that all organisations needed continuity. Within 12 months I was made redundant. With 24 months a team of six who had all been there at least 15 years each were gone, bar one. I now look back and was pleased I was pushed out. I now work for a smaller company on 20% less money but feel more appreciated.

These things happen and you deal with it not bitch and moan 'poor me blah blah'.

I think we're lacking a little context here. Yann has suffered in English football thanks to one mistake at a critical moment. He's had an unhappy time before joining us, but his career was brought back to life by the management of one Chris Powell. It's inevitable Yann has a high degree of loyalty to him, and might hesitate to commit to a two year contract at a club with no managerial certainty than one with one he may already respect (Eddie Howe).

We ought, however, to bear in mind that these are the outspoken and subjective views of one disaffected side. Powell is more politic, implying the sales of players whose contract is expiring and for which a bid has been received is perhaps a policy decision, far removed from the emotion being expressed in the extract from the interview with Yann.

There was always going to be life after Kermorgant. I'm disappointed he's gone, he was my favourite player, but I struggle to see beyond Yann not signing the contract that was on offer and deciding to take his services elsewhere. He might have been disappointed with the offer, but he still had a choice.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

i dont think he has acted in a mercenary way, i think his contract negs are perfectly acceptable,
    theres other bits i wish he had done differently

If he did refuse to play at Huddersfield, it spectacularly backfired in the shape of a 1-0 win without him. This is all very sad really.
  • Options
    He should concentrate on becoming a hero down in Bournemouth. Pieces like this won't go down too well with their fans, surely.
  • Options
    What role did his agent play in all this? If Yann wanted to stay, perhaps he was ill-advised in going down to Bournemouth to discuss terms opening the door to Bournemouth's formal offer and his premature departure! I loved watching him and wish him well.
  • Options
    I rather suspect that there is right on both sides in this - the club made an offer to extend his contract at the same level (if they had lied about making an offer at all, surely he would have said so in very explicit terms) and he wanted more, both perfectly reasonable positions and nothing to criticise.

However, my own theory is that Yann assumed that he was such an important part of a relegation-threatened team that there was no way that they would let him go before the end of the season, guessing that any offer made would be much less than the price of relegation.

He clearly does respect the fans and club and wanted to stay, but he could hold out for a better offer on a contract, safe in the knowledge that, at worst, he would be able to stay at least until the end of season to do everything he could to keep us up.

Unfortunately - and unexpectedly - Bournemouth put in a bid that was higher than anyone expected so RD had a decision to make, which he did, and had every justification for doing, But now Yann feels hurt that he did not get that opportunity to finish off the season and fight for our survival.

Anyway, very best of luck to Yann - brilliant while he was here - but it is on to the next guys and I am looking forward to seeing the two new strikers in action tomorrow. COYR
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    Yep, sounds right to me. He lost at poker :-)
  • Options
    If Yann did refuse to play at Huddersfield (which I can honestly say would shock me if confirmed) that would have been highly UNprofessional of him. RD appears to be a tough businessman and maybe he did not need a "rebel" in his camp. When a good offer came in from Bournemouth maybe he was enthusiastic to snap it up? Not only for the money but to quell the "unsettling" affect it had on the team? Not ITK just pure speculation.
  • Options
    Yann wasn't sold by himself, the fans, or Chris Powell but by the more detached owner who made a judgement call.
    I love Yann, and will certainly give him a standing when he returns with Bournemouth, but right now I want Reza and PP to get into gear and give me something to latch on to.
    Yann is gone and that's that, as long as Roland does not blame Chris for that aspect of things in the long term it has to be accepted.
    It might be that between them Chris and Roland have accidentally given birth to a fresh and potent strike force.
    We signed Wiggy on for a long contract, Gradel looked like a possibility, if the Liverpool rumours are right then Chris may have highlighted something to Roland which together sort of balances the Roland input.
    These are difficult times, but if Chris and Roland are trying to plunge on together then we have a chance.
    Knowing the details of the Yann circumstances is interesting of course, but more interesting to me right now is how Reza and PP get on tomorrow.
  • Options
    Even if RD wanted him sold, Yann was under contract at Charlton until June 30th.

But then there was the little matter of triggering the contract extension.

As Covered End says, above - "He lost at poker".

• Options
    Of course there are going to be different perspectives about any issue particularly when addressing peoples' personal future. None of us know the full detail of the situation but for me KMGs' "revelations" pose more contradictions than answers.

I suggest it is indisputable KMG served CAFC very well. I personally will miss his contribution gain the impression from his time at Leicester and with us he is a very independent spirit. He found a particular bond with Powell which served us all but for all of his fine words and consequent speculation it is indisputable he could still be with us for the remainder of this season. He chose not to pursue that option.

It is widely reported by continuing to represent our club this season his number of appearances would have been such as to trigger a contract extension for next season. He chose not to pursue that option.

He indicates after talks with the previous board he had expectation of a better contract offer but how can anybody have any real expectation of such commitment made on behalf of (at that point) parties unknown? Such assurances are worthless, yet he expresses disappointment the new board did not fulfil his expectation.

He indicates as a matter of support for Powell he (among others) were/ are unsettled Powell has not either been offered or accepted a new contract.

He indicates as a matter of support for the fans his reluctance to leave but given the opportunity to move elsewhere he chose to take it.

How does such decision support either Powell or the fans? It does neither. He made a decision he considered was in his best interests. I have absolutely no problem with his decision but ultimately his words in support of Powell and our club are as meaningless as the previous boards empty commitment to him.

He quite reasonably (for the profession he pursues) placed his interest over above his loyalty to Powell, Charlton and us. I understand why and genuinely wish him the very best but have no intention of demonising the new board on the basis of his comments which in old banking parlance can be best categorized as "words and figures" differ.

Grapevine49

• Options

Of course there are going to be different perspectives about any issue particularly when addressing peoples' personal future. None of us know the full detail of the situation but for me KMGs' "revelations" pose more contradictions than answers.

I suggest it is indisputable KMG served CAFC very well. I personally will miss his contribution gain the impression from his time at Leicester and with us he is a very independent spirit. He found a particular bond with Powell which served us all but for all of his fine words and consequent speculation it is indisputable he could still be with us for the remainder of this season. He chose not to pursue that option.

It is widely reported by continuing to represent our club this season his number of appearances would have been such as to trigger a contract extension for next season. He chose not to pursue that option.

He indicates after talks with the previous board he had expectation of a better contract offer but how can anybody have any real expectation of such commitment made on behalf of (at that point) parties unknown? Such assurances are worthless, yet he expresses disappointment the new board did not fulfil his expectation.

He indicates as a matter of support for Powell he (among others) were/ are unsettled Powell has not either been offered or accepted a new contract.

He indicates as a matter of support for the fans his reluctance to leave but given the opportunity to move elsewhere he chose to take it.

How does such decision support either Powell or the fans? It does neither. He made a decision he considered was in his best interests. I have absolutely no problem with his decision but ultimately his words in support of Powell and our club are as meaningless as the previous boards empty commitment to him.

He quite reasonably (for the profession he pursues) placed his interest over above his loyalty to Powell, Charlton and us. I understand why and genuinely wish him the very best but have no intention of demonising the new board on the basis of his comments which in old banking parlance can be best categorized as "words and figures" differ.

Grapevine49

It's been widely reported but I can tell you it's also been denied. I don't think there is any question of "demonising" anyone, but I'll like to know if the club (not CP) has been honest with supporters, for future reference if nothing else.